Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for appropriate hair piece (photos)
05-14-2013, 12:38 PM,
RE: Advice for appropriate hair piece (photos)
Hey guys,

I went to the girl that does her own hairpieces and she actually advised me that I might need to perm the stock unit as my hair is a bit curly and it will need to be done so it does not look like a hairpiece on me and it will need to be blended in properly. She said that it might break if I try to do that on the unit.

Could you please advise me on that?
Is it possible?
What is your experience on that matter.

Thanks in advance,

greeko1987
05-15-2013, 05:08 PM,
Hi greeko,

There are two ways you can approach solving this problem:

1) You can "straighten" your own hair temporarily by blow drying it while it's damp with a stiff bristle brush. This will remove most of the wave and cause it to blend better with the body wave on your stock unit (there are some very good products that you can apply to help with this process) or;

2) You can have the hair in the unit permed to match the existing curl in your own hair. As long as the stylist uses a cold wave perm solution specifically designed for use on color treated, fine, brittle hair it shouldn't damage the hair in the unit too badly. However, perming the system hair will definitely cause some of the color in the hair to fade out. This can easily be taken care of by re-coloring the hair with a little Back2Natural or any good hair color brand that matches your natural color.

I've successfully permed several units before... The perm does cause the hair to feel a little dried out and will also cause the unit to shed a bit faster than it would if you left the hair un-permed, but perming might be well worth doing if you feel you need an exact match to your natural curl.

Personally, I'd try blow drying some of the curl out of your natural hair first since that is the easiest thing to do, and only proceed on to perming the unit as a last resort since that will be a lot more complicated, time consuming and costly thing to attempt at this point.

You shouldn't be overly concerned that your "look" will change.

Yes, it will change, and change for the better with more hair—that's the whole point. My advice is to roll with it and accept a slight change, and if any one asks what you've done tell them the truth—that you've blown the curl out of your hair and are using product in it. If you want to go back to curlier hair, then order more curl on your next order. None of us ever get everything 100% perfect especially the first time around, we learn how to improve things as we go.

I would try to replicate something similar to the style you have in this picture, only slightly shorter. Be sure to take a printout of the picture to your stylist so they'll have a good reference to go by for the cut-in.

Hope this helps

Attached Files Image(s)

05-16-2013, 06:04 AM,
Or you could just keep your side/back hair short(around #5 or 6 guard) so differences in wave or texture aren't so noticeable.
05-25-2013, 09:52 PM,
Hey guys,

I went to the hairdresser yesterday to see what she says. Her impression was very very positive and she seems to have a lot of experience. :-D

It was funny cause the one that I drove to 45mins away and said that I need to perm the hairpiece seems to wanted to rip me off. The hairdresser I went to yesterday said that this hairpiece is perfect and it will match my hairline plus move it forward just a bit which is very positive. The only difference is that I will have to get used to a lot of hair from what I have now.

Up till now this is great cause i did not want to move the hairline (was also advised from you guys in here) so it does not look too obvious straight away. If I permed it it would look like a big "hair poof" on my head(hairdresser said that). This is funny cause the girl that tried to rip me off said that she will speak to her hairdresser and see if she will be up for perming the piece, which she never did...dodgy right?

The hairdresser seemed very confident, I showed her the pic of the results I want to achieve and she said that she will be able to reach that but not 100% as my temples have receded. She will now place clips on the side of the hairpiece and glue at the front of it so she can cut it on top of my existing hair to see what it will look like before we potentially shave off the hair and glue the whole thing on.

My apologies if I am repeating myself but I am really looking forward to this and she was very very cool and seems to know what she is talking about.

The appointment is next Saturday. I finally convinced my friend to come along with me for support and to see if it will look good on me. A hot girlfriends advice will be appreciated the most :-)

I will let you know all how this goes :-)

I appreciate everyones and you will hear more from me and my news hehe

Thanks again

greeko1987
05-25-2013, 10:33 PM,
Good luck with everything Greeko I hope it goes well for you. You've definitely done enough research, planning and consultation to know what you want so I'm sure you'll get a good outcome.

I also massively admire you for letting your family and friends in on this, despite the negative reaction you got from your sister! It's that exact type of reaction that made me decide to keep it a secret because I didn't want anyone who knew nothing about hair systems to give me advice or opinions. The only advice I wanted was from people who were wearers themselves. That said I have at times found it difficult being alone with this during the short period (2 weeks) I've been wearing and it would be nice to ask people's advice who are close to me. We're all different characters at the end of the day and whilst i could not currently do it, I definitely think you will benefit from taking your friend with you for support and being able to ask her honest opinion in the flesh before you commit to shaving and the point of no return!! It's scary, but having that support will make it so much easier.

Good luck and make sure you post some pictures when it's done.