Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best base for this hairstyle?
02-05-2013, 11:57 PM,
Best base for this hairstyle?
This is my hairstyle. Mine is a tad shorter and a bit less dense. No exposed hairline but I would like to show a little scalp on top, even if it is just where the hair "parts" from time to time.

I like to use only tape and want to change that every 7 days.

Which base and what density would be best?

Oldwearer.

Attached Files Image(s)

02-06-2013, 01:24 AM,
RE: Best base for this hairstyle?
yeah there is no hairline, you could have monofiliament , but TopLace only does modern bases.

but I think Lace is the best, it has the best feel over skin, french vs swiss is just a matter of how lightweight it will feel since there is no hairline.

I'd go with all swiss lace, since it feels the best.
02-06-2013, 01:51 AM,
I wear a non TL unit. Probably close to the TL250. French lace with poly on the sides and back and attach with tape. Non shine lace tape in front. I want to switch to TL and was wondering what base to use.

Density (too much) seems to be the problem on my current unit.

I would love to wear a thin skin unit (after reading all the reviews here) and was wondering if that might be an option?
02-06-2013, 02:00 AM,
with regards to that style and density.

there is no reason why lace or skin will be better than the other, even in the context of showing top scalp appearance, you can choose which one you like based on the pros and cons of each base material.

in short: since your not exposing a front hairline, choose any base material you want, it will make no difference to the outcome of the look of the piece.

it's a bit of a mute question given the hairstyle.
02-06-2013, 02:16 AM,
If you really don't want to do a full scalp bond and prefer only a tape attachment I would recommend going with lace. If it were me I'd go skin and do a full scalp bond for the perfect scalp look and feel but a tape-only attachment with skin would not be great. You'd get the paper sound when touching your head and possibly sweat and heat build-up where the base isn't bonded. But if you went for a full scalp bond skin will give you the best density and the best scalp appearance.
02-06-2013, 02:31 AM,
Hairenough & fullcapwearer,

Thanks. I am grasping at straws, I know!

You will notice that I am digging up just about every topic related to thin skin units and asking the wearers how their units are. I have seen some that say they have no problems with the thin skin units and tape (they actually wear theirs that way) and other like yourself (Hairenough) saying that it will be too hot and sweaty and make a noise when not bonded all over.

I should probably just order one of each and try them out.

I would love to be able to do a full bond with glue but I just can't stand the clean up hassles.
02-06-2013, 02:45 AM,
have you not tried Got2B?

I do full bond with Got2B and get a good 3 day hold on it, with ZERO cleanup, it is also much cheaper than any toupee glue.
02-06-2013, 02:58 AM,
fullcapwearer,

Thanks. I will research that a bit. How quick is it to change the glue in this case? What are the negatives, if any? 3 Day hold is fine.
02-06-2013, 03:24 AM,
it really is the best IMO.

it is really quik to change the glue, it just comes off naturally without lace release or anything, it really is 10x better than any toupey glue, you even have 30 seconds to adjust it in place when bonding, whereas usually you don't have any time frame to re-adjust.

and yeah the re attachment process is 1 minute maximum, and if you make a mistake you can re-start again, it really is the best thing out there.

in fact since discovering this "glue" I have thrown out all toupey glue and tape.

and the people that say they only get 1 day hold are not letting it dry enough before applying or are not apply a generous enough amount, it even works 2-3 days on hairline without lifting.
02-06-2013, 07:00 PM,
fullcapwearer,

Thanks a stack!! I never paid much attention when people wrote about glue as I never knew it could be this easy.

How strong is the hold and how do you get it off the unit? Do you just wash the base and it comes off?

Can you use tape with it or won't that change anything? You obviously can't swim with just the Got2B on?

I have no idea why I am wearing lace but for the fact that it is rather light and works with just tape. From what I have hear a skin piece would actually be ideal for me.

There is a lot written about it right here on the forum so I will go do some reading.

Thanks again!