Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New guy looking for advice.... (photos)
01-20-2013, 10:13 AM,
New guy looking for advice.... (photos)
Hi everyone... I just turned 29 and I am thinking about jumping into the hair replacement scene. I had an appointment set up with Dr. Rahal for hair transplants, but I really didn't want to have a huge scar on the back of my head for life. No going back from that, and it removes the possibility of shaving my head one day. He recommended 3000 grafts at an FUT cost of $10,500, with FUE costing double that. I'd also need to go back on finasteride, which is something I told myself I'd never do again. I think I'm still recovering from the side effects I had on that drug. I think hair transplants are a good way to go once they figure out how to multiply/clone hairs, and they are apparently getting closer (but it's always 5-10 years away, of course).

Anyway, I saw some really impressive videos on Farrell's site, and I came here after learning how expensive Farrell's systems are. I simply can't afford $4800 + monthly maintenance costs. From what I gather, toplace is just as good, if not better. What concerns me though is that I have to do all of this myself. No salons or places to go for the first time to make sure everything goes well. That's why I'm tempted to go to Farrell first for my first system, but I think if I stay around here long enough, I'll learn how to do it.

Below are my pictures. Some of these are stepping right out of the shower, and one of them is when my hair is dried and styled the way I want. I'm down to one hairstyle.... anything else just makes me look like I'm balding.

I just got divorced so I need my hair at this point in my life. I've gone on a few dates and when I eventually tell the girl my hairline has receded they tell me "I can't even tell, it looks good". Maybe they are just being nice, maybe my hair loss isn't noticeable to someone not looking for it yet, I don't know. The one thing I do know is I am sick of dealing with this. I'm tired of having my hair flying up on a windy day, I'm tired of not going swimming or going out when it's raining because I'm afraid of my hair getting wet. I'm tired of the hairstyle I'm forced to wear. I'm just tired of dealing with this. I don't think I can pull off a shaved head look, so being bald is not really an option. What do you guys suggest?

Here's me about 5-6 years ago. I was still concerned about hair loss here. In fact, I think I was already on finasteride (will never go back on this again, one of the reasons I'm not looking into hair transplants). However, looking back now, I'd kill to have this much hair again.

[Image: 53369839.jpg]

[Image: 011113053610.jpg]

[Image: 011113053953.jpg]

[Image: 011113053828.jpg]

[Image: 011113053811.jpg]

[Image: 011113053755.jpg]

[Image: 011113053740.jpg]

[Image: 011113053724.jpg]

Here's what it looks like dried and styled. I don't have a top of the head pic when it's not wet, but I still have enough hair to hide the bald spots. That will probably change very soon.

[Image: 011113054942.jpg]

Edit: I guess external hosting is disabled, so here are a few pics...

Attached Files Image(s)

01-20-2013, 11:22 AM,
RE: New guy looking for advice....
I can understand your worry and concerns with regards to your hair loss but in all honesty you look as though you have a very decent amount of hair! In fact I would love to have that amount of hair!
Yes you are starting to thin and recede but it really doesn't look that bad in those pictures, maybe in real life it is more noticeable?
I am not a fan of concealers but with your hair loss they could make a difference?
Now onto the subject of systems.
Yes the quality of hair systems you can get here and some other online retailers are on par with what places like Farrell offers with a much,much lower cost!
With regards to maintaining systems yourself it really is very easy, honestly!
There is no need to go to salons and pay over the odds for something that will only cost you a few bucks and get the same or in some cases even better results.
You will find most of your answers here and other hair forums and you have the added benefit of asking question that some very experienced wearers will happily answer and help you.
So you see if this is the route you do decide to follow you will not be alone,there is always someone that will help and advise you!
01-20-2013, 01:38 PM,
Thanks for the welcome.

I know I have more hair than probably quite a few on this forum, but I am going to be there soon. I can't keep up the charade forever. I think going to a system now would be better than later, since I still have hair, people in my life know that I have hair, and when I start wearing a system it will be less of a shock than if I went bald and then started wearing. I might not be able to fool everybody, but I'll fool some of them.

Is there a good guide on how to get started? How do I know which one to get? That pic of me with the slurpees in my hand (5-6 years ago) is kind of the way I'd like to wear my hair again. Combed back with maybe spikes (haven't had those since I was a teenager). What kind of density do I get? There's just so many questions I have....I want to make sure I know what I'm doing because once I shave the top of my head, there's no going back.
01-21-2013, 12:02 AM,
I agree that going from no hair to a head of hair can be dramatic and would draw unwanted attention.
some guys in that situation actually order a lower density than normal and slowly introduce a higher density untill the desired look is achieved, this usually fools many people regarding the transition.
most guys order an all lace system, French lace is a good lace for newbies as it is a bit more forgiving in handling compaired to the much more fragile Swiss lace. Believe it or not they both disapear very well despite the discrepencies in thickness between them, which isn't all that much in reality.
Full details and explanations on the base materials are on the order page and you will find more detailed explanations here on the forum.
my advice would be is to read as much as you can on here and elsewhere and build up a more detailed idea of what is actually available and ask any questions you feel the need to and i am sure there will be plenty of advice given.
Regarding density you have to match what you have on the sides and back. Your best bet is to contact John directly and he will advise accordingly.
If you go down the system route you will have to shave the thinning area, which can be traumatic for some first timers, so be prepared for the shock!
01-21-2013, 06:34 AM,
Where do you live? Farrell is not the only option salon-wise. There are a decent amount of independent salons and stylists across the country that will be MUCH cheaper and can work with a Toplace system.

I've not heard much positive about Farrell, and the price is just nuts.
01-21-2013, 12:43 PM,
I live on the border between Orange County and Los Angeles County. Anything in So Cal would probably work, though. How often would I have to go to the salon? What can I expect to spend each month on maintenance?
01-22-2013, 07:00 AM,
RE: New guy looking for advice.... (photos)
I for one understand your desire to address your hair issue. You do in fact have a decent amount of hair left but it is starting to look like the early stages of a comb or swept over style that brings unwanted attention.

I'm with you on the timing of all of this... if you successfully address the issue now it should be a smooth and undetectable transition and no one should pic up on what you have done.

Just start calling around to a bunch of local hair replacement salons in your area out of the yellow pages and ask them if they will work on a system purchased on the net. I'm sure there are a ton of them in So Cal. No need at all to go to Farrell and spend all that money.
01-22-2013, 07:06 AM,
I would stay away from Farrell because his pieces are WAY too expensive for what they are. Apollo has a few salons in California (Costa mesa, Glendora, LaJolla, and San Jose). Apollo is expensive too, but not nearly as bad as Farrell. I would go to Apollo about once a month and it was $50 plus tip. Just be aware that these places are not your friend and they will do everything they can to keep you tied down to them. They want to keep you in the dark about what they do and make it seem like rocket science. The monthly fee isn't the entire problem, its the fact that they want to sell you a new system every couple of months for about $800. If you don't agree to buy one then they try to tell you how the thing will basically self-destruct if you leave it for too long. These places are full of crap and unfortunately a lot of people that go to them believe every word they say.
01-28-2013, 09:03 AM,
Thanks for the advice. Part of me wants to go to one of these places for my first system because they can tell me what kind of system I need, and they can style it for me. I have no idea what to buy on my own.

I just ordered some Toppik for the first time.... might try the concealer route for a little while until I can figure all this stuff out.

I really hope hair cloning is within 5 years.... imagine them being able to take a very small sample of your hair and then producing thousands of grafts? That will be the end of the hairloss problem. Until then, I think I'm going to conceal and then wear. I don't want to be bald.
01-28-2013, 09:08 AM,
$800! and for a topper!