Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about Glue
12-20-2012, 04:21 PM,
Question about Glue
I am on day #6 with a front partial. So far, so good but I think that I am going to graduate to a topper next time. Seems like it will blend better and potentially be lower maintenance. I have been removing every three days (have a SFSL). It is definitely an art with putting the tape on! One of the challenges that I am having is with the glue occasionally turning white in the front. I received the glue from my stylist. It goes on white and is supposed to dry clear.

Is there a better glue out there that will not turn white that I can use on this piece?

Thanks,
Pete
12-20-2012, 09:43 PM,
RE: Question about Glue
The reason its turning white is one or both of the following:

1) Your scalp is sweating or getting wet before the glue has actually dried.
Officially, this can be 24 hours, but certainly within the first few hours of applying glue you need to keep your head cool.

2) You're applying the glue too thickly and not allowing enough time between coats.
A couple of thin coats spread evenly are MUCH better than 1 thick coat.

The best white glue (in my opinion) is Oil Resistant White Glue (ORWG) but even this will not remain clear if either/both of the above happens.
12-21-2012, 01:46 AM,
My favourite white glues are:
1. Basebond
2. Walker Safe Grip (same maker as ultrahold)
3. Oil resistant white glue
4. i-glue

They are all awesome glues and any of them will do the job very well. But Basebond is amazing when you figure out how to use it.

Lots of thin coats like Hersute said, and make sure each coat dries well, and you aren't in a very sweaty environment for a while.
12-21-2012, 03:22 AM,
Awesome. Makes sense! I definitley have not been waiting long enough for it to dry, plus I have been spraying water on right after.

Really appreciate the quick responses. Thank God for this forum!

Pete
12-21-2012, 05:52 AM,
Mr. Burns is Basebond/Walker Safe Grip/i-glue easier to cleanup than ORWG.

for some reason I can't seem to clean up ORWG on the base material very well at all, in sticking to Got2B which provides a 100% hold for 24 hours, when then weakens after that, I would like a solid 7 day full bond hold, with an easy-ish cleanup, or at least easier than ORWG.

do you use autoglym to remove the glue residue.
12-21-2012, 03:00 PM,
Are all of these okay to use on SFL? And, do they dry clear with no shine?

Thanks,
Pete
12-21-2012, 04:47 PM,
What is SFL?
12-21-2012, 05:09 PM,
swiss french lace, i believe
12-21-2012, 07:53 PM,
No, Its Swiss Fine Lace. Or Super Fine Lace.
Someone needs to make a glossary for all the acronyms!
12-22-2012, 04:38 AM,
I thought we just called them French Lace and Super Fine Swiss Lace. I would love to try Super Swiss Ultra Fine French Thin Skin some day.