Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Couple of Questions
12-18-2012, 01:28 PM,
Couple of Questions
Hello Everyone,

I did my first detach (front partial). I am wearing a front partial with glue in the front and tape on the back. I wore the piece for three days and it came off pretty easily with lace release. However, it was not that easy getting the tape and glue off my scalp.

My questions are:

1. What do you recommend using to clean tape and glue off the scalp?

2. I use quit a bit of gel to blend it in well with my existing hair, and wanted to get your thoughts on the best way to clean the piece? Soak? Shampoo? Condition?

3. Lastly, when I go to put the piece back on, should I blowdry it to make sure the lace and hair are dry?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Pete
12-18-2012, 01:34 PM,
RE: Couple of Questions
use Got2BGlued instead, you don't even need lace release and there is no cleanup both on base material and scalp.
12-18-2012, 02:38 PM,
Products like 99% alcohol, C22 or Goo-Gone or De-Solve-it are all made to dissolve glue and can be used to clean the scalp & hair & base.
Some products contain oils so these need to be washed away afterwards as they will prevent an attachment from lasting.
If there is glue in the actual hairs, then soak the hairs with one of the glue melters and gently comb it through with a very fine tooth comb.

When reattaching, yes the base, hairs & scalp have to be bone dry, but heat from a hairdryer can damage the hairs and shorten the life span of your partial.

Clarifying shampoos will remove excessive product build-up from the hairs but there are certain recommended brands that are specifically for replacement hair.
Likewise with conditioners. If too much conditioner gets on to the knots, it can make them slippery and loosen the knots, causing shedding of the hairs.

There are masses of threads & posts on various products for cleansing & maintaining hairpieces.
12-19-2012, 04:16 AM,
Awesome - thanks!

Pete
12-20-2012, 07:55 PM,
can C22 help remove Got2B from the base unit and scalp?

what is the difference between 99% alcohol and C22? I assume C22 is citrus solvent
12-20-2012, 08:46 PM,
Are you guys talking about got2bglued water resistant spiking gel?
12-20-2012, 09:33 PM,
yes we are.
12-20-2012, 09:52 PM,
99% alcohol is exactly what it says it is. The other ones tend to have things like oils & scents in them.
The oils prolong the desolving time, where-as the alcohol just evaporates.
So glue treated with alcohol will become sticky again when the alcohol has evaporated. Glue treated with the other stuff remains less tacky, more slimey.
But then afterwards, you have to wash the hair, scalp/base to get rid of those oils.

You shouldn't need to use alcohol to remove Got2B.
I thought the benefit of it was that it came off with rinsing it with water.
12-20-2012, 09:59 PM,
yes that is true, Got2B is slimey enough on my head and on the base, I just thought it might help, but I guess it would make little difference.
12-21-2012, 01:39 AM,
1. What do you recommend using to clean tape and glue off the scalp?

Tape should peel off. With the remaining glue...it depends on how long your attachment was. If it was 2 or 3 weeks, then the glue will be broken down and sticky. To remove it, just slide some printer paper or clingfilm (saran wrap) across your scalp.

If your attachment was just one week, you might need some alcohol to break down the glue first, then repeat the above until you've removed most traces of the glue.

Then use a steel toothed comb to remove extra clumps of glue from the hair.

Then shampoo scalp and hair twice, and it should remove everything.

2. I use quit a bit of gel to blend it in well with my existing hair, and wanted to get your thoughts on the best way to clean the piece? Soak? Shampoo? Condition?

Soaking would be good for those clumps of glue that get stuck in the lace holes over longer periods. Otherwise, shampooing once and conditioning should leave your hair looking great.

3. Lastly, when I go to put the piece back on, should I blowdry it to make sure the lace and hair are dry?

I usually wait for some hours so that the lace has dried. It doesn't matter so much about the hair being damp, but the lace needs to be kinda dry or it will slide around a bit when you attach. You could blowdry (on cool air) the underside of the base if you need to, but I've never had to do this.