Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tape residue getting into the hair
12-14-2012, 08:41 AM,
Tape residue getting into the hair
Hey everyone, I am having a lot of issues keeping the hair looking as clean and non-sticky as it is when it first arrives. I wear a pretty basic hair style, I guess that sort of resembles Lionel Messi currently. So I have a little bit of bangs, but not much. Anyway, what I am noticing is that my hair in the front and back gets sticky. I use walker no shine tape and I have a full swiss lace base. This is really frustrating.
12-14-2012, 12:13 PM,
RE: Tape residue getting into the hair
Hi OhioGuy,
Sounds like you're wearing the unit too long before changing the tape. Walker No Shine Tape is excellent tape but even the best tapes break down and get gooey in time. I suggest that you change the tape more often--before it breaks down and runs into the hair.
Regards,
John
http:///www.toplace.com
12-14-2012, 02:57 PM,
How do I try to restore the hair then? It's still a relatively new piece with not too much in it, but I don't want to damage it more by trying something that isn't suggested.

Also, is that the right type of tape for someone who sweats a lot and is active in their 20s? Should I look for a tape that will hold longer, or possibly even switch bases in the future?
12-14-2012, 09:03 PM,
Hi Ohioguy, I use that tape... I cut only small strips off the roll as I like to detach nightly, however if I were to go longer, I find it will begin to break down after only 3 days---- many guys get a lot longer out of it, but I don`t -- it`s not that there`s anything ` wrong` with the tape as such, but all bonding-materials ` behave` differently from one person to another-- depends on your individual physiology and lifestyle. and local climate.
You will probably have to try other types of tapes until you find one that suits you best in view of your active lifestyle.
Obviously some of the adhesive material has seeped onto some of the hair. You can use any of the Citrus-based Solvents to get it off..... De-solv it is one, C-22 and Re-move are others --I think you can buy De-solv it in some stores in U.S. as it`s readily available?
Just spray some on, leave it to ` work` for 5 minutes, and then sit it into a sink of tepid water with shampoo mixed in...... you may have to gently comb the affected-hair to get the residue off.....then rinse/ condition the system as normal.
You can also just soak your system in `Autoglym` [ automobile tar-remover] ---- `Hersute` recommends it /uses it frequently.....sits his systems in a bowl of it for 30 minutes, then rinses it off and shampoos/conditions as usual....... you should be able to get it in car-accessory stores. He`s done quite a few threads/replies on it...just type in his name into the search-bar, and you`ll fnd them.
I recommend infrequent shampooing [ by all means wet/mist the hair as much as you wish] but do use a good leave-in conditioner, preferably with UV-protection in it.
The base-material has no real bearing on it, but if you sweat a lot, I think lace is more hygienic and allows the majority of the scalp to ` breath` and water can get through it when showering and dilute / rinse out most of the sweat.
Try Blue-liner or Blue lace tape as it`s also know or Pro-flex strips .... Blue liner can give a very messy clean-up though if left in place too long, but many guys use it when engaging in activities such as swimming and ` beach` holidays.... sounds like you`ll just have to do a bit of ` experimenting`.
12-16-2012, 06:28 AM,
Really? You detach nightly? I thought this was supposed to last a week at least.
12-16-2012, 07:03 AM,
Just my personal choice.
12-19-2012, 06:22 AM,
I still don't know exactly what I should do with the hair now that it has some glue in it.
12-19-2012, 07:13 AM,
Whatever it is you use to break down the glue to detach it, eg alcohol, de-solve-it, goo-gone, C22 will also break down the glue in the hair.
Soak the hair until the glue is soft and comb it through with the finest tooth comb you can buy.
gentle wiping with the corner of a towel or cloth will help.

Its all glue, on your head, on your scalp, on the base and on the hair. So whatever works to remove it from one place will work for another.
12-19-2012, 11:33 AM,
I use an old stiff bristle toothbrush and a little 99% alcohol or C-22 to remove adhesive out of my hair.

Here's a funny story: Shortly after I first started wearing many years ago, I accidentally knocked over a whole bottle of white glue which ran right into my unit which happened to be off my head and on the counter beside the glue.

I had absolutely no idea how I was going to get the huge glob of glue out of the hair... Luckily, I spotted the old toothbrush, found some Goo-Gone under the sink, and put two and two together.

That old toothbrush literally saved the day (and my hairpiece)!!!