Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On vacation, concerned about bond
12-12-2012, 02:28 AM,
On vacation, concerned about bond
I got a piece that was much too thick for me. It's my first and I got a stock piece just to hold me over until my custom 55% arrives. I've been using L'Oreal Texturizer to make it look "thinner" and it does a great job. I do, however, have to kind of glob it on. I have blue tape all around plus a piece down the middle for maximum hold on vacation while sweating, swimming. Didi did it for me in NYC.

Should I worry about having this goo in all day and any effects on the bond?

Still getting used to all this. Sleeping is stressful still, worrying about rubbing off the bond but I realize it's probably very strong.
12-12-2012, 04:37 AM,
RE: Texturizer?
Hi Rashton,
If the texturizer is getting down on to the tape it will reduce the length of the bond. How much it's reduced depends on a number of factors including how much swimming, etc. If the texturizer is applied lightly and it's not running down on to the tape you'll likely see no affect on the bond.
Regards,
John
http:///www.toplace.com/
12-12-2012, 07:16 AM,
I do have to put a lot on to get the look right. Otherwise it looks much too thick. So some is prob coming in contact with the tape. Will any hair product reduce bond? Is there something else I can use?

I'm not swimming with my head under water every day. Want to snorkel with my girlfriend but slightly terrified it'll come off under water!

I just need the bond to last a total of 8 days.
12-12-2012, 09:39 AM,
Looking around it seems like oil based products can lessen the bond? I just washed that out and am just going to use the Enhance conditioner and a little G2BG water based gel I found. It says Spiked-Up Styling Gel.

Should I worry about the bond since I globbed on that other stuff for 2 days? The unit was put on Sunday.
12-13-2012, 01:49 AM,
Anyone? A little worried here...
12-13-2012, 02:34 AM,
Oil & moisture are your enemies.
That said, they effect people differently.
Its hard to say how long anyone will get a bond for no matter what method of attachment or products they use.
A lot will depend upon whether your skin is oily or you sweat a lot.

I wouldn't worry too much about the texturizer now that you've washed it off.

2 brands of tape that get recommended frequently for swimming are STICK-IT tape and the blue backed tape.
For glue, Oil Resistant White Glue (ORWG) might be your best bet.

Just make sure you do a brand new attachment before you set off on your holiday and there is a less than 1% chance of it coming off whilst snorkelling.
12-13-2012, 02:57 AM,
I'm actually on vacation now. Had a cut-in for the first time on Sunday. Blue tape all around. There is a spot on the front hairline that has peeked up all along, noticed it on Sunday - I push it down and it feels tacky.

How would I know if the bond is in bad enough shape to have to redo? It would be my first time removing and replacing so naturally I'm hesitant.

All I have with me is blue tape, lace release spray, rubbing alcohol, scissors, and Transdermal Type 2 remover.
12-13-2012, 05:28 AM,
RE: On vacation, concerned about bond
Hi rashton..that tape can go very gooey ` suddenly` and the clean-up can be a right pain in the butt. How long more are you away for ? I can`t say for sure how long your bond will hold-up for you for SO many reasons......usually guys get prolonged hold-times with it under ` normal` conditions, but frequent swimming / sweating will affect it, obviously. It`s relatively easy to clean /deal with it while it`s still ` stable` ........ lace-release will free your system no problem.... I`m not sure about that `` rubbing-alcohol` you mention...is that something like ` Pure` glue -melter? -- I mean is it something you bought specifically for dealing with tapes/ glues ?? I`m also not sure what that last product you refer-to is ....... all I know are the usual / normal ones we all use......lace-release, Glue -melter [alcohol] and Citrus-based Glue Solvents, such as C-22 or Re-move. You might be best to replace your tapes while they are still ` good` for ease of clean-up....you could also maybe pick up a tube of `Got2b` glued spiking glue [it HAS to have the words ` Spiking Glue` on the [yellow coloured] tube...... just use that for your bonds but you`ll have to refrain from swimming as it will not withstand water-exposure like that.....
So , if I were you, I wouldn`t wait until -as you say above- the bond is in ` bad enough shape to have to re-do` ----- best to head -off trouble at the pass in my opinion !! Either replace it with fresh tape or just use use Got2b before it destabilises.
12-13-2012, 10:46 AM,
I do have that spiking glue.

The rubbing alcohol is just typical pharmacy rubbing alcohol and this is that other product: http://www.hairdirect.com/store/Transdermal-Type-2.aspx

How would I know if the bond is getting bad? I'm avoiding putting my head below water. Also trying to avoid sweating. Hasn't been much since that first day. I may go snorkeling once but in very calm waters. Still nervous about that. Is it possible that the whole piece comes off at random with blue tape or is that unlikely?

Away until Monday.
12-13-2012, 11:35 AM,
As I said before, less than 1% chance of it coming off.
When the tape breaks down, the glue becomes gooey.
At that stage you could slide the piece across your head, but it will still remain attached.
Believe me, you'll know when or if it happens and the likelihood is that it will only break down at the hairline, but will still stay in place.

If that happens but its still secure at the back & sides, lift just the front and use the alcohol to wipe the lace. A corner of a towel is good for this or a small hand mirror (look up 'mirror slide') and clean the scalp with alcohol too.
Then reattach.

It would be better to do this BEFORE the tape breaks down, as its easier to clean.
If its started to lift already, then its probably a good time to do it.
You'd apply the lace release, lift the front, remove the tape, wipe with alcohol and reattach using new tape or the spiking glue.