Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is another problem I have (pic)
12-07-2012, 01:34 PM,
RE: This is another problem I have (pic)
just go full cap or 3/4 cap, trust me you'll never look back. Takes ALL the anxiety of worrying about blending away.
12-07-2012, 08:25 PM,
forestboy, It looks like your hair is pretty ok up top around the crown-point and sides.... however, the pic. isn`t very clear and is only showing one view. I guess ultimately, whatever you choose to do, will be what feels right for you..... I was in a similar situation before going fullcap, but my ` top` wasn`t as good as yours looks...my sides and back were very thin too though... I was finding it harder to get an unnoticeable /seamless blend-in and was ordering ever-thinner toppers.... I just lost patience with the lot and went Fullcap. But, bear in mind, I had worn toppers for quite a while, so was more used to the whole process and was`` comfortable`` with it. Your case is different, as you`ve never worn before and going Fullcap might be a bit like jumping in at the deep end, but to be honest with you, while people had told me to hang on to my own hair as long as possible etc. etc. my only regret with going Fullcap was that I hadn`t done it earlier--would have saved me a lot of ` messing around` with trying to get toppers to look ok --there was nothing wrong with toppers, but my own hair was ` gone beyond it` for my temperament [ I`m not very patient with ` struggling` daily]
I`m not saying you definitely should take one course of action over another--it`s your dilemma and your reality.... you are the person who has to decide what is right for you..listen to your gut-instinct. If you DO think Fullcap is your way forward, do your research first....have a look at JRob`s site http://www.hairjive.com , dedicated to Fullcap wear /wearers, and if you want any particular points clarified, drop me a mail---my address is on my Toplace profile--just click my user-name and you`ll see it. A Fullcap from Toplace plus shipping, is in or around the 500$ mark...... I normally get 7-10 months from mine, but I remove it nightly, and everyone`s situation is different. From what you`ve said , it sounds like all those ``drug`` things have had a negative impact on you ....personally, I`d never ever touch anything like that now----- I remember when the very first product became available here, to much ` fanfare` and advertising -hype, and was going to do all kinds of wonderful things for those with thinning hair, I bought it and tried it for a number of months---- may as well have gone out and spent the money on a holiday--it would have been better-spent ! That was my one and only foray into that side of things
At least with a system whether it be topper or Fullcap, there are no side-effects, and you generally will know what you`re getting and how you`ll look ----those other things are just an expensive shot in the dark in my opinion.
Hopefully, you`ll reach a decision which is right for you and you can de-stress !
12-07-2012, 09:12 PM,
Once again guys, thankyou for all you varying inputs. I am in a pretty dark place ATM I must say but this forum and the support and positive experiences of users has given me hope. There is allot to say for hope, it's carried me for years. Thankyou!

My partial has arrived in the UK so I will be having it fitted sometime next week so for now I will using a partial for the front and toppik for everywhere else.

I'm gonna get a consult with a derm for the cause of the thinning at the back because it's been there my whole life and I feel it is something other than MPB. Likely psoriasis as it is flakey and itchy there but no where else. I do have aggressive MPB also though you wouldn't know it, just using meds for 12 years in one form or another kept it at bay, albeit with serious side effects. I'm through with any internals now though apart from fish oil etc.

I'm committed to wearing. I "feel" I can do it. I will not really care if people are suspicious as long as it looks good and is undetectable. If I'm busted which I could be I will simply say "if you had craniosynostis, MPB and psoriasis of the scalp, you would wear so fuck off" Just hope I find a nice understanding women.

I'll post some better quality pics when I get home from work.

Thanks allot:-)

Oh BTW the lady who I am seeing for the piece and fitting is not willing to fit any other pieces other than what she supplies. She says this cos it's easier and she doesn't want to be responsible for a bad piece but obviously it's for the commission she makes. I understand this and don't judge her for it but it is going to be necessary that I learn to apply myself. A, because I can't afford the expensive systems she sells and b, cos I can't afford £50 a fitting once a month. Also, my hair grows too fast for once a month styling anyway so I'm gonna have to robocut it.

I'm hoping that the inaccuracy of my own styling lends itself to some authenticity to the hair pieces I wear. I do not intend to take mine off apart from to wash so if they need replacing more often I will have to bear the brunt. Toplace's $500 full cap systems are in my range of affordability even if I have to buy 4 yearly so that's a worst case scenario and I can cover it.

I'm going to embrace this, look at it as another type of nice clothing, experiment and try to make the best of it. My only concerns are scalp irritation as I often have an itchy scalp regardless and I have sensitive skin.
12-07-2012, 10:20 PM,
Ask her to use Scalp Protector before applying. It will help with sensitive skin problems.
12-07-2012, 11:36 PM,
Hey Forest

That thinning part actually looks quite similar to mine. Mine is higher up but have that weird thinning patch at the back of the head too and it's very strange, apart from yourself, I haven't see anyone with anything like this (or maybe I've not looked hard enough for it) I'm also receding at the front.
What I am doing at the moment is touching up the thinning bits with concealer (I have 4 toppiks left after a period of when I had a shaved head) and using it sparingly. It's a bit of a bugger, but with some practise it gives good coverage.
Your idea about the mascara sounds excellent. I tried some dermatch in those areas too , but didn't have too much luck with it staying in place for long periods.

Long term I'll be looking to change over into a 3/4 cap I think. I have slight thinning too and the 2 partials have been a good send in lowering my NW3, and a great introduction into wearing.
Clean up has been a breeze due to the small partials, the first part of anxiety going out with them on and the general approach to wearing.
If Hong Kong is the beginners guide to Asia then wearing a small partial or two is definitely I'd say the beginners guide to wearing and with the partials, I've gained a lot more confidence and feel/look much better than I do without them.

Some great hints and tips in here.

All the best Forest. Please, try not to worry too much about wearing. I too had anxiety issues when I first wore (a whole different story) but once its cut down it'll sit great in your hair and be asset. Try as many glues and tapes as you can afford to see how your body re-acts to them and experiment about with it.
The first few steps out in to public life, I remember it well. I was staring at everyone who passed me by on the street like a madman to see if they gave me a look or glanced up at my hair, no one did no one at all. I remember my first full conversation to as well with 'hair' and the first compliment ''Your hair cut is great''.

All the best dude, give me a pm anytime you are feeling stress or that, and by Xmas time if you get fitted in the next few days-week, you'll be settling into and feeling on top of the world.
12-08-2012, 06:47 AM,
Look on the bright side man.. At least you have a solid chance that your thinning could be something other than MPB.. I was going to say have you been to a good derm? your baldness doesn't look typical of MPB.. especially with your other symptoms. You might have a treatable skin condition or something.

I tried topik and I never liked it. I found it messy and didn't work that great for me. I guess for sensitive skin I don't think dermmatch would bother you much. Its like a makeup powder sort of thing, and I think it says that it doesn't dry or do anything to your skin. Double check to be sure.. But it felt really light and non drying when I used it. Its easy to apply and for me went on easier.. plus you can put on a light coat if you want. This works great for me in areas like the temple points or hairline etc. Its easier to control the coverage with dermmatch with a little practice.

When it comes to blending issues.. If you get a larger system.. you still need to blend in the piece hair with your own hair.. and hair systems got thicker more dense type of hair. My guess is that you will find it harder to blend in with your more sparse natural hair. Unless you cover all your thinning areas completely. Than you need a big system or something like a full cap.. And honestly.. I still believe you have too much of your own hair to go that route. Just my opinion.. You do what ends up working best for you..

I think you are doing the right thing.. I would also get dermmatch and try some other concealers if you are unhappy with toppik as I was. Try dermmatch and even prothik. Prothik might cause drying.. not sure.. its an aerosol spray.

Just don't stress.. get it in your head that you WILL have a solution one way or the other.. But you are just trying the logical things out first to solve it. You could always get a larger hair system. But I think trying the combo of the right type of concealer for the back and a partial for the front or even try dermmatch for the front hairline... Is the logical choice. Just be patient and if you are unhappy the first time.. keep trying. you need to get a partial that fits your hairline correctly with the right density etc.

I don't mean to keep writing a book here.. but I went through the same thing as you. I wore a front partial and used concealers for the rest of my head for awhile before I moved to a regular topper system. I reached a point where I was too bald to use concealers on top. But even when I had very thin hair they worked very well.
12-09-2012, 09:08 AM,
Do you have any pics of the front of your face? you should blur out your face, so we can see how the hairline and temple points look.

I feel your pain about not being able to shave your head, I am that point now...where I would just shave my head. But I have CVG, so its not an option. I have done it all in the hair wearing game, concealers, partial, fullcap lol, and now I'm going to try a 3/4 cap.

I have learn't alot, concealers can work...but I had to spray alot of hairspray incase I was caught in heavy rain, or sweated alot playing sports/gym etc. Also come off on the pillow.

Fullcap looked amazing, I got alot of compliments. I had to attach lower on my neck, to get a good attachment due to the natural movement of the skull. However I had alot of itching in that area, on my first fullcap, that whole area shed due to the constant itching.

A partial is the easiest in terms of attachment, but my partial is unique in that it covers the sides, and after a while you can see the "join" where my real hair meets the partial.

I do think its a good idea to keep as much hair at the nape as possible, attach a 3/4 cap and let that hair blend in or overlap your existing hair. That way you have the best of both worlds. I am also in the uk and send you details of a good stylist, just send me an email to, [email protected]
12-09-2012, 10:31 PM,
Msebas, Paul, Spartan, Xeon, Hairfanatic, Kevinme, Hersute, thanks guys for all your help. I'll get back with more detail in a while. I haven't got any time or energy at the moment cos I'm moving house, refurbishing, and running my business whilst feeling like shit.

Frontal is being fitted on Tuesday so I'll send images then. Very very anxious about it!

Cheers
12-10-2012, 10:32 PM,
to be honest, you should consider full cap, or reduce your top density significantly.. i would choose option a
12-11-2012, 06:54 AM,
I almost find it annoying that people would recommend this guy to shave off all his hair when he seems to have a lot of good hair left as a FIRST OPTION.

Your doing the right thing, don't listen to these bafoons. If you find out your not happy with concealers and the partial you can always go to plan B and C. but I think your doing the smart thing by trying out the partial first.

Just remember if you do go fully bald, you can't ever get that hair back, Enjoy for as long as you can.

Best Regards