Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking the step on 1st Dec (pics)
11-18-2012, 07:20 PM,
Taking the step on 1st Dec (pics)
Hi,

So after a lot of thought and debating with myself for more than an year, I will get my first piece on 1st Dec 2012. For my first time, I decided to use a local guy who is extremely expensive but knows his stuff. When I went to meet him some 4 months back, he was kind enough to let me sit at his salon for 5-6hrs and meet his clients. All were very happy.

So I decided that for my first piece, cut in and styling I will go to him and in future will get from Toplace.

I got a call from him last week saying my system is ready. I booked an appointment with him for 1st Dec 2012. Extremely excited. Got a lot of questions and I am sure this forum will help me.

I am attaching couple of photos of my current hair. I will have to get most of it shaved for proper attachment.

thx

Attached Files Image(s)

11-18-2012, 10:15 PM,
RE: Taking the step on 1st Dec
Maybe people like me have been singing the praises of hairpieces too loudly?
Or maybe younger people are starting to worry at earlier & earlier stages of hairloss?
But more and more these days I see guys with perfectly normal (and as _triple_h_ above, even enviable) amounts of hair talking about getting replacement hair.

Perhaps the reality is worse than the pictures I'm seeing?
I'm not trying to diminish the concerns of these guys.
I've no doubt that their hairlines have changed and maybe for some, its happened quite rapidly.
But I would trade my wig for natural hair like _triple-h_'s in a heart beat!

I just want to stress that maintenance and attachments etc are a bind, but for me, this effort is far better than my alternative of being bald. And thats quite a dramatic alternative.
If I had a reasonable amount of natural hair, I would NOT trade it for the gluing & sticking & cleaning involved with a hairpiece.
The balance of the trade-off between effort & results would be lost.
Maybe this hasn't been spoken about enough and thats why guys are considering replacement hair before they really need it?

There seems to be an ever increasing attitude that anything less than 'perfect' (in this case a dead straight hairline) is a 'flaw' that needs to be rectified.
But normal hair recession (just like natural hair colour) changes as we get older.
In many cases these changes suit our age & faces better than we realise.
Thats why some men who persist in dying their hair too late in life can look weird, because it no longer suits their older skin tones.
The same goes for recession. The straight hairline of our teens mostly just doesn't look right on someone more mature.
Not all change is bad and not all change needs to be rectified.

Obviously I know nothing about _triple_h_ or his circumstances, so this isn't necessarily directed at him.
And I am just discussing the physical aspects here, not the psychological ones.
From what I can see of his pictures, he looks like an attractive younger guy with a normal amount of hair.
What I can't see is that by having more hair, he is going to be any more attractive and I question whether the expense, effort and other issues are justified.

What concerns me is the psychology of guys wanting absolute perfection and seeing anything less than perfect as a problem.
Young men these days are being negatively effected by the same types of retouched media images that have taunted women for decades.
I'm all for self improvement and looking the best you can, but I'm worried that perspectives are becoming skewered and that this can only get worse.
------------------------------------------------------------
@ _triple_h_

I really wish you luck and hope that replacement hair does everything for you that you want it to.
I really look forward to you coming back here on Dec 2nd and telling me I am completely wrong!
11-18-2012, 10:35 PM,
"in a word , a long word, self perception"
i used to have a huge quiff in the 90's, i used to get weird looks, but i thought it was the hair style that brought me out,
i now realise it was twisted perception, id change my hair and see "my look"
the look i didnt allways realise was allways there but i refused to see it unless i had this huge quiff,

i really dont see the need to wear with the amount of hair you currently have,
its more to do with perception,

hell youre free to do what you want, and fair play.

you might change youre mind after a few weeks of wearing,and decide its made no diffrence,

or just not worth the bother,

i rekon at the most maybee concealer, but even that may be stretching the need.

a hairsystem, i really really dont think so.

sledge hammer to crack a nut, (imo)

yeah its very easy to look in from the outside and be logical,

how much of youre opinion is emotion,youre heart or youre logic

when you think about youre hairline does it make you feel anxioues, possibly youre letting youre anxiety cloud youre logical judgment, i rekon youre worries concerns around youre hairline are out of perspective.

has anyone mentioned it?

do people stare at it?

how does it make you feel

what do you think a hair system will give you compared to what youve currently got?
11-19-2012, 02:40 AM,
Whilst your pics are not very sharp, it only appears to me as if you may have a little thinning going on at the front there..your actual hairline has not receded, therefore, you certainly should not shave off your hair at the moment---it`s too soon. I don`t doubt that you`ve become ` conscious` of an issue there, but in relative terms, it`s still small. If I were you, by all means go and collect your system and pay for it, put it into a sealable polythene bag and keep it in a drawer. It will ` hold` / last quite fine, and you can use it at a later stage. In the meanwhile, a little concealer sprinkled in / on will keep you going for now.
That`s just my honest opinion based on what I can see....obviously it`s your choice ultimately.
11-19-2012, 05:29 AM,
where's the hairloss?
11-19-2012, 06:34 AM,
Simply great reply guys.

For me hair is the most important thing. I used to get compliments left, right and center before my hair started thinning. Yes, I agree I still have quiet a lot of hair, but do I get the desired hairstyle with my thinning hair? The answer is NO.

I am young, unmarried so I see this as the best time to dress properly, look good, be presentable and enhance my personality.

Its really a big step for me, but until I try it I won't know the deal. You can read for countless of hours but experimenting is the main.

Well I will do post After Pics and will get some better Before ones.

Thx
11-19-2012, 07:08 AM,
Go ahead and give it a go!! the worst that can happen is you don't like it and shave your head and wait for your natural hair to grow back in. This way you will learn if hair replacement is a viable option and if not you can move on with another plan of action.

All of the above posters make very valid points and I agree that you have quite a bit of natural hair left but you seem to have put a lot of thought into this decision and I believe it will benefit you moving forward regardless of the outcome.
11-19-2012, 08:58 AM,
Dude, that is ridiculously thick hair. Maybe the pictures do it more justice. but seriously don't buy a hair piece. In 22 years old and i have thinning hair. The only reason im lasting so long is because of concealers and my natural curly hair helps cover up alot. I do understand not being able to style your hair differently, ive had the same style hair for like 3 years it blows and while im in the final steps of ordering my piece (which im super excited about!) I think you should wait some more time and spend some money on doing other productive stuff besides your hair man. Thats just my two cents. If you could show me a picture of how bad your thinning is, maybe you'll change a lot of people's minds on here.
11-19-2012, 12:05 PM,
Is this a troll post? If you actually have hair like pictures above, you don't need hairpiece. Seriously dude...you don't know what hairloss is yet.
11-20-2012, 02:35 AM,
@@@ Amstat
The last thing I would do is troll in this forum where I get so much information.

Like I said, its about hairstyle for me. I quote without experience "money and maintenance is second for me, hairstyle first".

^^ this might change in future.

So I am sticking around this forum, but will post pics with my new hair around 3-4 Dec.