Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advise for sticking
10-26-2012, 04:54 AM,
Advise for sticking
Hi guys!

I can't get the solvent base glue to stick on the piece.

1) I clean thoroughly both base and skin with Ghost Remover

2) I take a shower and let the base dry

3) I apply 2 - 3 coats of glue waiting 5mins between coats

4) I apply the base and push hard with a comb

I dunno why but the base doesn't even stick well, I can take them off with my hands

What do I do wrong??

thanks in advance
10-26-2012, 10:33 AM,
RE: Advise for sticking
You may want to try waiting 10 minutes between coats. Does the glue feel tacky when you are ready to attach? If not, it needs to dry longer. You can speed the process up with a hair dryer.
10-26-2012, 10:50 AM,
uhmmm... so the finger must not stick to the skin but get a tacky feeling is that what u mean?? thanks!
10-28-2012, 12:37 AM,
Yes, I have found that acrylic glue takes longer to dry than white glue. When the glue is tacky to the touch, it is ready for attachment. This will also keep the glue from seeping thru the lace into the hair, which it will do if still wet.
10-28-2012, 01:36 AM,
When a piece does not "stick" right from the get go it is always the fault of the base - usually the base is oily. If you have lift after a day then usually the fault is your scalp.

Not sure what ghost bond remover is but if it is one of those oil based solvents (slippery to the touch) I would recommend only using it on your head after releasing and not to release and not to clean the base with it. 99% is great for cleaning lace bases leaving no residue from these oily solvents. You are sure to get tons of lift using these oily solvents to clean your base, IMHO.

When someone does not allow glue to all the way dry it just means seepage through the lace and an overall not so great attachment, like Winstonage has detailed. But that is not going to cause your piece to not even stick in the very first hours, allowing you to just peel it off.

Also after attachment allow everything to dry for about an hour before even attempting to style, if possible, to let everything really set.

Use very thin layers of glue and allow them to dry like Winstonage says. If you are using clear glues like TG, UH, mighty tite etc, you really need to go super thin and wait 20 mins between coats.

When I was using glues I did two super thin coats on my scalp of Nex Gen (applied with a makeup wedge, 15 mins dry time each coat) followed by TG on top(again makeup wedge not the applicator) - allow this one to dry 20+ mins.

Also after scrubbing and applying cleaning chemicals to your head your scalp becomes a bit irritated (unbeknownst to you) and decides to produce lots of oil to combat this. If you can sleep bald one night and gently clean your head the next day with just mild soap in the shower and then attach this will help tremendously. I also use a clay mask on my head just before attaching and that also helps - The Body Shop has a real good one.

Oil in the form of solvents, cleaners, even hidden in gels and/or using Coppertone sunscreen as a gel in super sunny regions (like I do) are all evil foes of attachments.

Clean that base and just say no to OIL on that base!
10-28-2012, 02:40 AM,
I know English is not your first -language, but your post is slightly confusing, when you refer to `Solvent base glue` [solvents are liquids used to attack and break down glue residues on the scalp]....... Glue comes in 2 forms: ` White Glue` [water-based] and ` Acrylic Glue` which is synthetic. Both types ` behave` in much the same way in terms of requiring thin coats, when applying to the scalp, and sufficient time to cure, before application of the next coat and final coat....5 minutes is not enough, even on a cold day [glues cure faster in colder weather -conditions / cooler rooms ] Conversely, they take a lot longer in warm conditions. Glue/s should feel almost dry before applying the next coat and before you finally press the lace ` home` into it.
Did you give the lace a shampoo when you received it ? It`s possible there was factory-residue on it such as silicone/s which they spray on the hair before shipping, to give it plenty of shine.......silicones will interfere with any bonding material/s including tapes. Reubin has given some very sound advice there too...... keep any ` oily` type products off your lace for best results... I know some wearers soak their lace in all kinds of substances including Citrus-based solvents......such citrus solvents will discolour your lace over time with repeated exposure to it, and needs to be thoroughly washed out of the lace to prevent it interfering with the new bond....it`s best to keep to a regular ` routine` and don`t allow the underlying bond to deteriorate to the point where it turns into a gooey mess, as it will seep into the lace /hair and give you a huge task .... regular removal with lace -release ,while the bond is still ` good`, should result in little if any residue on the lace itself, and you can just concentrate your clean-up on the scalp...far easier and less time and effort required.