Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frayed poly perimenter-repair options?(Not a Toplace unit)
10-24-2012, 10:00 PM,
Frayed poly perimenter-repair options?(Not a Toplace unit)
Hi folks,

I have a full cap with monofilment center and poly sides. It is not a Toplace unit-just need some advice. The poly at the very front is becomming very frayed though the wig is quite new.

I know there is a poly repair kit from hair direct but its going to cost me a fortune to get it to UK.

Just wondering if this would be any good

http://www.banburypostiche.co.uk/shop/home/C-312.aspx

Seems its used to attach false hair to skin etc.

I have tried sticking a little tape over tear area and then coating with superglue but no good, seems that only makes it worse probably a chemical reaction between superflue and poly.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.
Martin
10-25-2012, 12:10 AM,
RE: Frayed poly perimenter-repair options?
I should start but saying I don't know what the answer is but I know superglue dries too brittle and the spirit gum dries too soft.
You need a clear glue that dries firm but 'rubbery' like a clear silicone.
You could cause more damage experimenting.
You might have to bite the bullet and go for the HD stuff.

Hopefully someone will have a better suggestion but thank you for the link to that site.
They seem to have a huge range of products.
Have you thought of contacting them directly and asking them for suggestions?
10-26-2012, 01:42 AM,
RE: Frayed poly perimenter-repair options?(Not a Toplace unit)
What you need is:

- Lepage Flexible Plastic Adhesive: http://www.lepageproducts.com/ProductDet...px?pid=130#
- artist paint brush
- glossy piece of any cardboard

if you have a large area fraying, use some low tack tape like plain white liner tape to cover the problem area first (which you may have done already but should redo fresh if you can).

-Squeeze some of this glue onto the cardboard
-dip the brush in it, picking up a good amount of glue
-quickly brush it over your problem area on the poly
-if you used some tape, make sure all the tape edges have been covered in glue to prevent it lifting any time later.

It doesn't take long for the glue to start skinning over so try to use very few brush stokes to maintain a smooth finish.

you can recoat after an hour or 2 if it needs it, but let it all cure for at least 24 hours before putting any tape over it.

I've used this for years recoat the poly bases of my old pieces.
10-26-2012, 07:49 AM,
RE: Frayed poly perimenter-repair options?(Not a Toplace unit)
Thanks very much for suggestions.

I rang the place in my link and they said that the glue is not suitable as it would probably come out in the wash, but to use a patch of poly material supplied by them and sew on with invisable thread.

I bought a 0.5m square of polyautherne material from them (white a pity it wasn't availabe n skin colour) cut a patch to fit front of piece that was frayed sewed it on with the invisable thread (as its hard to see put something black on table where you are working so it shows up easily) and it seems to have done the job.

0.5m square of white poly material (takes tape fine) cost me £15.60 about $22.