Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Gen Base Questions
09-25-2012, 10:02 AM,
New Gen Base Questions
Hey everyone, I'm fairly new here, been browsing for a long time but this is my first post so please don't shoot me down if I ask something stupid! I'm not planning to stick patches of hair to my knees or anything innovative/crazy like that.

I would however love to know the following.

- Can the new gen thin skin be ordered as a partial unit? My crown is still pretty good, just the receding hairline I want to stay on top of at the front. Or do you have to cut it down yourself from a normal sized topper.

- For a spiked up at the front look (called a quiff in England, is that a worldwide term? Probably means something completely sexual in the US for all I know) anyway, for that look is it best to order a flatback which you then brush forward slightly or a freestyle that you then brush back a little (I hope that makes sense).

- Thirdly, what density does the new gen go up to?

Those are my three questions for now. Any help really appreciated.

PS Loving the forum, really comforting to know that there's so many people who make this look easy.
09-25-2012, 10:30 AM,
RE: New Gen Base Questions
Pretty sure if you have the cash then anything can be ordered in any way you want! It always works out cheaper to buy a standard topper size rather than have a precise piece of wig made I think. This way it's also pretty simple to cut down and style, say, a freestyle piece to how you want it regarding style.
For a quiff in the U.K, I'm thinking it would equate to a brush forward with spiky front in terms of Hairpiece jargon. Regards
09-26-2012, 12:16 AM,
I've also heard the term Pompadour used to describe a quiff.
I'm pretty sure the term quiff is universal?
Elvis had a quiff and he was universal!

I usually order freestyle and wear my hair up at the front.
This can involve the use of a hairdryer or drying it naturally brushed back and then styling it more loosely.
I ordered one piece (not from TopLace) that was ventilated at the front described as 'up-lift' and I have to say I was very impressed. It stayed lifted even after 6 months wear.
(That reads like I kept it on my head for 6 months.....which I didn't! I'm sure you know what I meant!)
If I brushed it down and let it dry naturally, it also lent itself to being a floppy fringe.
So style wise, it still has options.

If/when you order, its always a good idea to include a picture of what you want to style it like.
It makes things clearer for everybody.

Sorry I can't advise on the new gen. I've never ordered one.
But someone will I'm sure.

PS. Welcome to the site & I'm sad to hear the concept of sticking sample patches all over your body isn't going to catch on!!!
09-26-2012, 12:06 PM,
Welcome wolfpack,

I've never ordered a New Gen unit, but I know that you can order a lace style somewhere between a flat back and spikey front called "brush back". It's exactly the "Elvis" (pompadour) look that you want, I think.

Check with John to see if you can get something like that in the New Gen or not, but from what I understand the NG thin skins are V-looped, so I think that kind of ventilation only applies to lace units.
09-26-2012, 08:42 PM,
I've got a related question, which I hope someone will be able to answer along with wolfpack's questions:

How long can you expect out of a NG base? I'd like reponses people who have experience with it, and with shedding - particularly with v-loop ventilation (which I hear is a heck more fragile than injected).
09-26-2012, 10:34 PM,
Hey fate, the new gen is super thin and will tear very easily. If you are rough on your pieces I would suggest ordering a different base.
I've had the new gen for about 2 months and the shedding has been minimal.
09-27-2012, 09:13 AM,
Thanks for your answers guys. Really helpful.

Hersute, I just googled this 'Elvis' guy you talk of. You're right, seems he was pretty popular Wink

Seriously though, I guess I'm after more of a Beiber quiff than an Elvis one. Can't believe I just wrote that. But yeah, thanks for the advice, just what I needed to hear.