Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Africa
09-22-2012, 12:51 AM,
South Africa
I'm going on holiday to South Africa for approx 5 weeks. It will be hot there, I'm curious as to what supplies and quantities to take with me?
09-22-2012, 07:37 AM,
RE: South Africa
I travel to South Africa quite frequently. They are just coming out of winter there, so the temps right now are running from 70 to 78F during the day and lows of 45 to 55 at night.

It will start getting hotter as they move into their summer, usually around mid October going into February. The coastal areas will be cooler.

Personally, I just bring some tape, GTBG and an extra unit.
09-22-2012, 11:16 PM,
I know its a bit off topic but I've been thinking of going to SA for a while now.

I hear very mixed reports.
The scenery is meant to be out of this world, but the social conditions sound like they leave a lot to be desired.
I know of 2 people that were robbed, but this was in Jo'burgh.

Where abouts are either of you headed or have been to and what are your thoughts on best places to stay & see?
Also, is it a humid heat or dry heat?
Humidity plays havoc with my attachment issues!!

PS.
BTW Connor
The pictures you posted of your new thin skin are another great example that are tempting me to try one of these pieces.
I always thought the hairline would be an issue, but your pics show quite clearly thats not the case at all.
09-23-2012, 05:48 AM,
I'm tempted to try the thin skin too. As for South Africa, now isn't too hot a time but if you went in the peak of their hot months it is HOT!

Hersute - how are you getting on with the Davlyn + ORWG combo?
09-23-2012, 07:24 AM,
Hersute - how are you getting on with the Davlyn + ORWG combo?

I didn't get much better a result than I did with 3-4 layers of ORWG, but........
I reversed it and used the ORWG first and then the Davlyn and it was better.

I suppose it just depends if you're oiler than you are sweaty, which clearly I am!!

I've just carried on using that combo.
I've not experienced the clean-up problems you did with the Davlyn though.
The autoglym dissolves it quite easily.
09-24-2012, 05:36 AM,
Hi Hersute,

Thanks for the compliment, I would highly recommend trying these units. I like being able to let my scalp breathe at any time. Today, for instance, all I did was put a few spritzes of water on the unit and stuck it on my head. It's like a little suction cup and it's attached quite well.

Jo'burg is ok if you stay in the right area. I never stroll too far from the Sandton area. Jo'burg isn't humid at all. Cape Town is a city with a much more European feel, easily my favourite place in SA. Even though it's on the ocean, I wouldn't describe it as overly humid.

I've spent a fair bit of time in Dubai as well. When it's 50C every day with 90% humidity, that's what I call hot. I never had attachment issues though.
09-27-2012, 01:10 AM,
Spartan,

In a few weeks time it won't be as hot as it gets during Dec/Jan/Feb. Stay out of the bad areas, the locals will be able to guide you there. There are much worse places in LA/Miami/NY etc.

Durban weather is like Florida, Cape Town is more like San Diego, hot but much drier. If you are into wine then the Cape area is the place to go. The whole Garden Route (from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth) is the best. If you are into animals you must not miss the Kruger National Park although winter months are actually the best. Shamwari Game Reserve is just East of Port Elizabeth on the road to Grahamstown and is also a must see.

The Cape area has winter rainfall and the Johannesburg area has summer rainfall.

Your USD is strong against the local currency but watch that you don't get ripped off!

There are two branches of a hair replacement company, one in Cape Town and one near Sandton. They stock supplies and can assist with most anything you need.

Enjoy your trip!
09-28-2012, 10:52 AM,
Many thanks for the replies.

If you could pm me the details of the hair replacement companies, I'd appreciate it.

In terms of supplies, I am taking alot of blue lace tape and proflex tape. I may aslo use some glue for added security. I will be using a comb down style, to hide the hairline. This will also allow me to wear caps alot, without affecting the style too much.

I've also been experimenting with using No Sweat, tbh it hasn't made that much difference.
09-28-2012, 11:37 AM,
I'm not convinced the NO Sweat does anything either.

How can you really tell?
I use it because I have it, but I doubt I'll ever order any more.

PS. @Hairenough

Did you know there was a special Davlyn adhesive remover?
http://www.hisandher.com/Davlyn-list.aspx
09-28-2012, 09:16 PM,
Spartan,

There is no pm facility here and I don't know if I can post their details here as it might be seen as advertising?