Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting Started with a Partial
09-03-2012, 02:11 AM,
Getting Started with a Partial
Everyone,

Thanks for all of your contributions. The information and support here is amazing. I recently decided to start with a partial stock unit. I just received it and have a couple of basic questions.

1. This is a SFS system so what do I need to remove the partial (front partial)? This is my first shot and I am going to attach with tape (Walker's No Shine). I think all I need is alcohol to remove after a couple of days or longer (hopefully!) but wanted to confirm.

2. Is it best to bleach the knots first and if so will any basic salon bleach work? This is a jet black stock unit from TL.

3. Is it best to wash the unit with a gentle shampoo or conditioner first?

4. I typically wash my hair with conditioner every day and shampoo once a week. Will it be okay to do this to the system? I use a very gentle shampoo and conditioner.

5. Any other quick suggestions? My plan is to get everything I need today and cut the partials. I am hoping to have the system on tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pete
09-03-2012, 07:47 PM,
RE: Getting Started with a Partial
Hey & welcome Partial Pete!

Have you placed it on your head and seen that the knots are visible, like lots of obvious dots?
If not (no pun intended) then there is no need to bleach them.
This also applies if you don't intend to ever expose the hairline by wearing your hair back off your face.

I really advise you read some threads about bleaching knots and the products to use.
People get mixed results, where sometimes it just turns them red, which is more obvious than the original black dots.
Also bleaching can damage & weaken both the lace & hair if not done correctly.
Jet black hair is the most difficult to bleach.

Washing the hair when you first get it helps relax the hair and gets rid of some of the factory 'gloss' thats been applied.
All washing of the hair, both on and off your head should be done gently.
When conditioning the hair, you'd be advised to avoid the 'roots' or knots because this can make them slippery and cause them to come undone more easily.

You've said you condition your hair every day & wash it once a week.
Did you mean that, or did you mean it the other way around?
If you did mean it, then you could stick to that routine by using a daily spray-in conditioner and washing once a week, probably when you do a detach/reattach.
Washing the hair is what can cause the hair to become dull & brittle and can shorten the life of the piece if done too frequently, using the wrong products.
There are several threads worth reading on recommended products for replacement hair.

99% alcohol will work to detach the piece, clean off residue adhesive and clean your scalp of oils & grease.
There are other products that some people use/prefer like Desolve-it, C22, Lace-Release etc.
I suggest you watch a few Youtube videos on the subject to give you a clear idea of what to do.

I hope this helps.
09-03-2012, 08:37 PM,
Pete.. you can spend ` big` money on shampoos/conditioners etc. Many off-the-shelf products are relatively harsh on system-hair, with repeated applications. I`m not a fan of frequent shampooing.. I`ve always found that ` less is best` when it comes to systems...... colour-lift will happen faster with frequent shampooings etc. I simply use a daily leave-in conditioner, which has sunscreen in it, having first spritzed the hair with water. L`oreal do a good shampoo and conditioner called ` Everpure` ---no sulfates in it...even Johnsons baby shampoo is pretty much ok to use.....it`s quite ` gentle`...... I simply add a little shampoo to a basin of lukewarm water and simply immerse the system in it for maybe 2 minutes....... I lift it out and rinse with water, down through the lace onto the hair to remove any shampoo residue..then apply a conditioner for 10-15 minutes , and again rinse out the excess....then just blot-dry it with a clean towel...don`t `knead` or agitate the hair.....allow to dry naturally.... when still slightly damp, give it a few darts of the leave-in conditioner, ` roughly` style it with fingers or a light brushing and allow to dry fully.
There are 2 types of alcohol..without getting too technical.....you need `` Lace-release`` to free your lace from the underlying adhesive/tape....then a ` stronger` alcohol such as `Pure` Glue-remover, to remove the residues from the scalp and /or lace...... I have found ` Pure` to be a little too weak on the scalp-takes a few applications [depending on what glue has been applied] and so the Citrus-based ones like C22 or Desolve it, are more effective----the trick with removing your system is to allow the lace-release time to ` work` [usually a minute or two]...that way, most of the residue will be on the scalp, which is easier to remove/clean, than off of lace. I always apply knot-sealer to my new systems..this helps prevent shedding...some guys don`t bother with it---it`s a matter of choice. There are many clips on Youtube showing `how-to`s` in relation to systems...just type in something like `` Applying knot sealer to a lace system`` .....the main issue with system hair from day one, is dryness...anything you can do to maintain some level of moisture in your system hair, is good. Frequent shampooing`s and sun -exposure leads to dryness/brittleness and colour-lift.... your system hair is not / will not be ` dirty` as such or oily like growing hair can be, so no need to keep shampooing it.......using a lot of styling-products etc., can leave the hair looking ` dull` / lifeless ....... then you have to shampoo it out..... I keep it as simple as I can, by just using leave-in conditioner, and infrequent washing of the hair...if I`ve been sweating, I simply remove the system, wet it in a sink of lukewarm water..I rub a little shampoo onto the lace base, then rinse it off under running-water----- I avoid the hair itself as such, but I maintain hygiene in that way.
You`ll find your own likes/dislikes and ways of doing things .....
In summary, get lace-release, an alcohol -based glue-melter such as ` Pure` , optionally, a citrus-based glue-buster such as C22 ... bonding-materials [tape/s glue/s] knot-sealer [optional] and a gentle /suitable shampoo & conditioner.
You can use citrus-based cleaners on your lace to melt/remove stubborn glue-residue/s but be sure to wash it out properly..it can have / leave an oily residue in/on the lace and this will interfere with your fresh bond....alcohols will simply evaporate off, so are ` cleaner` to work-with.Also, repeated applications [of citrus-based cleaners] onto lace, can discolour / stain the lace to a slightly orange hue, so just to be aware of that. Cheers.
09-04-2012, 01:25 AM,
Thanks Hersute and Paul! I will definitley do more research on YouTube as well. It was actually recently recommended to me to only shampoo (existing hair) once a week to 10 days and condition every or every other day to improve the health of your hair. It is has made a difference - grows faster and looks fuller.

I do not think the knots would be noticeable after I do the wash and 'blend' (I hope!). I did pick up a root touch-up cream but I am going to try without bleaching first. The environment that I work in is pretty public and the spotlight is on me quite often. I (like everyone else) want to do my best to make it undetectable to the public / general eye. I have enough hair to do a blend with a partial, plus I have been using Toppik for over 5 years so this should work much better. My plan is to start with the partial and see how the process goes. I will certainly keep everyone informed.

All the best,
Pete
09-04-2012, 08:56 AM,
Hi Pete
Goodluck with this venture
Feel free to share ur pics, if u can...
If not of the piece attached, then just of the partial on its own.
If its not a hassle.
U'll b right in couple of goes.

Cheers
Raz