Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom unit- different colors?
07-16-2012, 10:43 PM,
Custom unit- different colors?
Can/Should one order a custom unit with different shades of color? My hair around the sides and back are darker than the top. I am also looking at around 10% of grey and would like a higlighted (lowlight?) look.

I was thinking of using two different shades on top and in front to achieve that look.

Can one do that or would it look funny??
07-16-2012, 11:15 PM,
RE: Custom unit- different colors?
I think the benefit of ordering a custom piece is that you can have whatever you want and a lot of wearers don't conform to the specs available in a stock unit.
The best rule of thumb when deciding specs is to try to emulate what your hair would have naturally looked like if it hadn't fallen out.
If your hair is naturally lighter on top than at the sides & back (which is quite common) then thats what you should specify.
It doesn't have to be an obvious difference, it can be gradually coloured.
Likewise if you have more grey at the sides & back, then order a higher percentage in those areas, than on top.
The more specific you can be, the more likely you'll get a good match.
Don't forget to send in hair samples from both the darker & lighter areas and use the template to mark out the areas you want specific things in.

I hope this helps.
07-16-2012, 11:58 PM,
Thanks Hersute!

Just wondering if anybody else has done something similar? I have the colors of my unit and they match perfectly, no 3 for the back and sides and no 5 for the top and front with 10% grey at the temples and 5% for the rest.

I would however like to mix the top and front with a few shades lighter to get that highlighted look.

I like this idea that somebody else has posted, just not as light maybe.

Attached Files Image(s)

07-17-2012, 01:10 AM,
I think that looks good and I lighten my hair at the front/fringe too.
I don't order it lighter though, I just put a bit of Sun-In on my hair and that lifts it a shade or two.
07-17-2012, 10:51 AM,
what is that sun in you're talking about? I want to make a piece lighter to match my hair color
07-17-2012, 01:39 PM,
Its a spray-in lightner. Its a mild bleach I suppose.
Its activated by either the sun or heat from a hairdryer.
It lightens the hair gradually.
Too much can turn the hair orange and you have to put a toner on top to get it a more neutral shade.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo...v3dp0ecg_e