Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knee sugery
07-11-2012, 07:12 AM,
Knee sugery
Hi there, I have a torn meniscus and ACL and just found out I'm going to have to have surgery on my knee.. Should I just not mention my hair as the surgery is knee surgery and leave it attached, I would hate to have to detach it and deal with all that, and my family and a couple of friends coming along to be cheerleaders... Ugh.. Any advice appreciated.
07-11-2012, 08:16 AM,
RE: Knee sugery
Honestly, i wouldn't even mention it.
IF one of the surgeons noticed it (which is unlikely as they will be working on your knee), i am sure they would be professional enough not to mention it.

Just make sure you've got a good new attachment and forget all about it.

Good luck with the surgery. hope it goes well.
07-11-2012, 08:27 AM,
I've been in & out of hospital having all sorts of surgery and never mentioned it.

They do ask you if you have false teeth or anything else that may become dislodge during surgery but I answered "No".

You'll be fine
07-11-2012, 03:56 PM,
Thanks, that makes me feel alot better Smile
07-11-2012, 11:55 PM,
I would agree that it need not be mentioned, and that you can be wearing during the procedure.

Just today I had a consult w/ a surgeon about some surgery on one of my ears ... I told him I wore, and that I assumed I should not on the day of surgery. He told me it would be no problem ... only asking if the hair by my ear was my own ... which it is. So even in that close proximity to the hair, the surgeon wasn't fazed. Knee surgery should be a complete non-issue.

FWIW,
~FB
07-17-2012, 09:31 AM,
There is no relevance whatsoever. Attach it well and relax. The only thing they will be doing at your head is:

1) Putting a hairnet on you (no different than chefs at fast food joints)
2) Holding a mask over your mouth to give you oxygen.
3) Intubating you (tube down your throat).

None of that has anything to do with whether your hair is naturally growing or glued down.
07-21-2012, 08:47 AM,
I have had two surgeries since wearing. I never mentioned either time. I just made sure I had a fresh attachment just right before surgery since I wasn't sure how long it was going to take me to get strength back to do a remove and reattach. One was Bariatric Surgery and the other was Prostate surgery. Nothing was said by any of the medical staff.

Had knee surgery in college so I understand. Good luck with the surgery and the rehab to follow.
07-22-2012, 08:23 AM,
Thanks again guys, makes me feel alot better, I'm not even going to mention it, and like macmike said I'm going to attach the day before, since I wont be standing for a bit, I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to do a re.
07-22-2012, 09:35 AM,
Ok, point one, coming round from anesthetics can cause any number of issues with the wig, but I think a strong bond will negate most of these. I've seen plenty of patients restlessly trying to climb out or their hospital bed, or attempting to climb over the cot sides. Remember, coming round is the weird part as it’s not like waking up from sleep, it’s like when you are so tired you can’t keep your eyes open, bobbing your head etc, & many patients even struggle & thrash in the bed. Also you may be a patient who needs intubation before, during, or after the op, so the tube (or indeed an oxygen mask) may be held in place using elastic cords that go round your head.
Point two, I personally would always tell my anesthetist because the operating room is a totally sterile environment. If a hairpiece came loose and swung down touching the instruments, the whole set would be contaminated and the operation would be compromised leading to a longer than expected procedure due to opening a new set & staff re sterilizing themselves. Both worst case scenarios for sure, but these are my observations and experiences.
Regards
11-04-2012, 02:39 AM,
Just an update, fresh attachment the day before surgery and everything went fine, as far as I know nothing was even suspected, I'm not saying this will be the case for everyone as I'm sure things can come up as MattNH had mentioned, but I had no problems.
De/re the next week was a little weird on crutches however lol.
Cheers