Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 New Styling Products That Meet The Snipe Standard
05-23-2012, 11:27 AM,
3 New Styling Products That Meet The Snipe Standard
Alright everyone I've been digging hard to find some radical glue that I can use regularly without ruining my hair. Y'all know I'm thorough as
heck with what I review, so you know you can trust that nothing I recommend will rail your hair.

I've tested these products, with the same criteria listed in sticky, daily over the past 6 months with the same success as PM WW. I'll post up in sticky as well. I've dropped PM TT from my arsenal but will leave review in sticky.

My new everyday use: PM WW or DW(Weekdays); PM SW(before I attach); PM HW(Club/Dates);Nexxus(Beach);Joico(difficult to find)
I'm adding 3 new styling products to the arsenal, stick to the ones listed and you can achieve any style without damaging hair.

*NEW RECOMMENDATIONS*
Paul Mitchell "Mitch-HardWired"
This $hit is unreal, Maximum hold, will break down in rain but can be reshaped in bathroom before it dries out from rain. Radical styles, check you tube. Amazingly, this product, think "Elmer's White Glue" as the exact same consistency, DOES NOT damage hair or shorten hair life. Should be applied to damp hair or if hair is dry wet hands first. Dries to hold and shaping in about 5 minutes depending on dampness of hair hands. Hair will hold through the night and can be freshened up and reshaped in morning. Hair still not "stiff" when dry. Woman can not run hands through hair with this product-hint, deterrent. Can be left in for days at a time if necessary. Not recommended if you will be in the water. Does not have negative or positive effect on hair itself.

Paul Mitchell "SlickWorks"
The exact same effect on hair as PM WW. Virtually the exact same properties as PM WW but a "watered" down version. Amazing nourishing of hair exactly like PM WW. If PM WW is too thick for the style you want to wear, then PM SW is for you. I use this to coat hair around perimeter before I attach to prevent hair from getting stuck to tape during attaching.

Finishing Spray-UPDATE on the finishing spray, it totally gives flat/matte finish to hair even on top of WW and DW.
This is a new product I've been searching for and still have a couple more tests before I can recommend.UPDATE-Ever Style Strong Hold Styling Spray-Nice product for finishing and locking in style, I apply after DW or WW. This product does not have any impact on hair-negative or positive from drying standpoint. This product is good for basically a single day/night and should be washed out or refreshed next day with water. Like the other every pure products, the the delivery method sucks but is actually beneficial to hair wearers due to limited amount of delivery on each pump.

This still stands as in Sticky:
I took everything in to account when testing these products except price.
Criteria for decision in rating each product I tested(weighting factor CFD of 1 being the lowest, 5 being the highest):
Does it contain any ingredients not recommended for hp hair: 6
Healthy/adverse effect on hair: 5
Lighting effect on hair after applied: 5
Long term effect on overall hair performance: 5
Long term effect on hair color: 5
Was I able to achieve the style I was after: 4
Did the look last all day and into the night: 4
Sunscreen: 2
Texture of hair after applied: 3
Texture of product before and during application: 2
Smell: 2
Ready Availability: 1
Waterproof: 1

After testing probably 100 products these are the four I've settled on and I rotate to keep my hair looking good and changing the finish up for different occasions and to keep things fresh.

Without further adieu, the BIG FOUR are...
*Update 9/1/2011*
Paul Mitchell Dry Wax is the king, keeps hair feeling and looking new. Lasts over the day and night. Renewable with water. Less shiny than PM WW. Flexible hold stronger than PM WW. Good for "chunky styles". Somewhat waterproof, think "soft candlewax consistency". Should be applied to dry hair. Can be heated with hair dryer in container to soften before being applied. I brush my hair after to get even distribution.

Paul Mitchell WaxWorks Medium Hold

Wet shiny look, hair soft and moves depending on amount of product applied. Feeds hair oils needed to keep soft shiny and fresh, it absolutely beats every other product in this category. Shiny finish. Clear/milky wax. No smell. Can be applied to wet or dry hair depending on style to be achieved. When applying to dry hair, hands can be run through water before applying to hair for quick next morning touch ups. This product has already be reviewed favorably by TL customers. This product should be the main wax gel used in your repetoire. I use this for daily work days and can be refreshed daily without washing out.

Joico Creme Wax

Flat/matte finish. Each hair will move in the wind seperate from one and other. Will put flat finish on hair when new. Does not gather/stick hair together. Does not have negative or positive effect as far as feeding hair oils. No smell. White cream can be applied to wet or dry hair for different finish on hair, do not wet hands. Maximum effect achieved when applied to dry hair. This product will compliment your everyday look of the WaxWorks. I get the most comps when wearing this product. Certified by professional cheerleaders as "that's the coolest look". I wear this when I'm going out and really want my hair to say "BAM"! This product can't be refreshed, is not water resistent and can be brushed out.

Nexxus Exxtra Gel
I use this product in the convertible or out on windy days. Clear gel. No smell. Will wash out. Can be refreshed somewhat. Hair drys crispy in place. Has sunscreen, I use it at the beach.
05-23-2012, 12:01 PM,
RE: 3 New Styling Products That Meet The Snipe Standard
Thanks for the review Snipe. I'll order all three products this week (assuming I find them online.)

By the way, can you recommend a good product that gives a killer "dry" look? There are some days (usually weekends) when I don't want it to look like I have much product in my hair... have you discovered any great products that don't make the hair look wet or styled with gel?
05-23-2012, 12:14 PM,
Joico in the review if you can find it. I'm not sure why they say "texture and shine", to me it was dull compared to PM stuff I have listed.
05-23-2012, 01:18 PM,
Good stuff snipe, all my styling products are PM. They are pricey, but well worth the extra cost. I would also recommend "the conditioner" by PM, I put it on my hair right after showering. It really helps keep the hair soft.
05-24-2012, 05:42 AM,
"By the way, can you recommend a good product that gives a killer "dry" look? There are some days (usually weekends) when I don't want it to look like I have much product in my hair... have you discovered any great products that don't make the hair look wet or styled with gel? " - egghead

Got 2B Cream Playful Texturize 2 oz

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003I98...54EXMVZHXW

Works great, don't use a lot.
Apply on dry hair.

Does exactly what you are looking for.
05-25-2012, 12:46 AM,
I need a very strong hair spray, the ones in the shops dry out the hair too much, any ideas?
05-25-2012, 04:58 AM,
Snipe, you didn't say much about the Dry Wax in terms of how it holds and what kind of look it is for. Is it a matte finish? What sort of look is it for?
05-25-2012, 08:05 AM,
Update OP
I added to the original post for PM DW.
05-26-2012, 06:44 AM,
Thanks. I would be keen to try the dry wax but $34.99 in Canada is robbery!

http://www.amazon.ca/Dry-Wax-Texture-Def...406&sr=8-1
05-27-2012, 11:50 AM,
I bought Dry Wax last fall after Snipe originally suggested. Best product recommendation in my opinion so far and I've been using it every day since.