Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lining up Partial Piece
05-16-2012, 08:50 AM,
Lining up Partial Piece
Hi all. I've just tried my first detach/re-attach and its not gone so well to say the least. I have a small crown piece that goes from the back to about 2 inches behind my hairline.

I had 2 mirrors so I could kind of see what I'm doing during the re-attaching, but I ended up with the piece not sitting where it should, and so have ended up with a big gap on one side. I also found it very hard to keep the hair from getting stuck in the glue, so have consequently ended up with a sticky, unsightly mess.

Does anyone have any tips for attaching a partial i.e. lining up to the shaved area? I've seen plenty of tutorials for attaching a full topper, but none for a partial.

Feeling very deflated after this episode, to the point of contemplating a head shave, still, will try again tomorrow before making any rash decisions I'll no doubt regret.
05-16-2012, 12:57 PM,
RE: Lining up Partial Piece
Before glueing, position the piece where you want it.
Hold it in place & fold some of it back on itself.
Using an eyebrow pencil, mark 2 dots on your scalp & 2 corresponding dots on the underneath of the lace.
Then when you've glued, you just have to match up the dots to get it in the right place.
Once its on, push it down into the glue, using the teeth of a comb rather than your fingers.

Hope this helps.
05-16-2012, 05:53 PM,
Hersute's method is excellent advice ...

Alternatively, you could try using a product called Adjust-a-Bond, which is really just 99% alcohol (just put it in a spray bottle). Once your glue is dry to the point you're ready to attach, spray enough to lightly coat all the glued area. This will prevent the tack from taking hold for about a full minute (maybe a tad longer), giving some freedom to move the piece a bit if necessary. Then, once the alcohol has evaporated, you can press in and "set" your bond.

If you're having trouble with hair on the edges of your piece getting stuck in the glue, you can use a bit of conditioner or hair serum on the hair at the edges ... helps keep them from sticking into to glue.

FWIW,
~FB
05-16-2012, 08:34 PM,
hell dont give up on the strength of youre first attempt,
i will say theres alot to be seid for starting of with a salon, then once you find youre feet and are comfortable doing it yourself, sorted!
theres no better way to learn than watching youre hairdresser doing the prep placing the peice bonding,
theres no substitute for a real life practical fitting,by a expert,
i asked questions watched what she did ect,

bit like learning to drive,
imagine becomming a surgeon reading from books, this is similar,
then having to do youre first practical surgery,
theres alot to be seid for going to a salon, then going it alone a few months later,

true saying its easy whe you know how, its not rocket science.
i started off with a one lady salon, pretty cheap compared to the bigg companies,
i went to her for my hair system, cut in bond,
and a few times for touch ups at the front,
but after a short while i was doing it all myself,

dont throw in the towel before youve given it a fair shot,
youll be convinced its worth it once youre wearing it,
preperations just one part of wearing,

yeah, ill admit i dont like doing full debonds bonding, i doubt anyone does,
but its a means to a end,
and you do it because, the payback is just brilliant.

anthony Smile
05-16-2012, 09:30 PM,
Thanks for all your suggestions and encouragement. I've spent the last 2 years reading up on the DIY root, but its still an overwhelming thing to be doing with little/no experience when you actually get started.

I'm going to try the suggestion of a little squirt of alcohol before pressing down on the lace, to give me a bit of time to adjust and get right. Also some serum on the hair. I've also dug out some hairclips so that should make the second attempt easier. If this fails again, I might just have to hunt around for the nearest salon.

Thanks again
05-17-2012, 01:26 AM,
Well, panic over. I've managed to get the thing cleaned up and back on my noggin. I decided to be cautious and do it in 2 halves after last nights failed attempt.

I placed it in the postion it should sit and clipped the longer hair at the front of the piece, to my own hair to keep it roughly in place. Flipped up the back and applied glue to roughly half of the shaved area. Lightly sprayed the glue with some surgical spirit to buy me some time to position it correctly, then pressed down with the comb. I left it alone for 5 minutes or so, then flipped the front and did the same. No dramas!

I think the use of some latex gloves was a good move too, as last night I seemed to get it all in my fingers and subsequently, all over the hair. But using the gloves whenever applying/handling the glue, prevented any on the fingers. It was then simply a case of taking them off to handle the piece.

So thats the thing back on my head (which was my main hurdle), now I need to tackle the issue of removing the leftover DeSolvIt/C-22 thats on the hair. I washed it before putting it back on, but this stuff seems to be an oily nightmare. Thankfully i got it all off the base, so shouldnt effect the bond.