Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need advice please
05-13-2012, 11:12 AM,
Need advice please
I am 56 yrs old and balding between NW4 and NW5. I just ordered my 1st SF Swiss from Toplace and expect to receive it in a few weeks. My intention is to cut the system and use as front partial only. I'd prefer the tape for the attachment, and my question is what type of tape is for daily wear and what type of tape is for weekly wear, and where can I get them online? Also what solution do I need to remove it?

Thank you for your help.

Frank55
05-13-2012, 02:27 PM,
RE: Need advice please
Hi Frank,

You'll need just a few basics. Tape, Lace Release (or 99% alcohol), and a solvent.

Since you'll be using tape in the front, and at your age I'll guess that it won't be a high density system, I would recommend trying Walker No Shine tape for starters. It is strong and less detectable (some tapes "shine" or reflect light through lower density hair). There are weaker tapes that may or may not be easier to remove in a daily wear situation, but many daily wearers use Walker's ... and ...

... 99% alcohol will release the tack on any strength tape. I don't regularly find this pure alcohol on pharmacy shelves, but I do find 91%, and it works well. 70some% alcohol is commonly found but is not as effective, and I would opt for ordering higher strength alcohol or a brand name Lace Release product (it is just strong alcohol plus additives).

Commonly used solvents are citrus based, such as C-22. Some also use Goo-Gone, commonly found in any hardware store, or large grocery. Solvents are used to remove any stubborn tape residue still remaining on lace or scalp. The solvents themselves need then to be washed out, but shampoo or dawn dish soap work fine for most.

You'll remove your piece by applying the alcohol through the lace onto the taped portion (eye dropper or "dabber" bottle tip is helpful here), letting it work a minute, and then gently peeling up the piece. If done correctly, most, if not all, of the tape should be on your head, not on the lace. A sweat band is helpful here to keep alcohol out of the eyes. A bit more alcohol worked under the edges of the tape will help remove tape from your head. Any stubborn residues on scalp or lace can be attacked with the solvent.

For online ordering, I might point you to this site. Many have used it, and once you have some brand names, you can do more searching on your own.

http://www.splitendshairreplacement.com

Obviously this is only a basic starter ... there are many other helpful, though not necessary items to have on hand:

Vent brush (the kind with plastic bristles with "balls" on the ends)
Styro head
Thinning/Blending shears
Hobby blade or sharp scissors for cutting lace
Hair products safe for systems (often alcohol and sulfate free)

And this is where I encourage you to delve further into this forum ... the "info links" section above the normal threads is helpful. Then using the search function in this forum you can find out ANYTHING you could need to know to manage this game.

Cheers and welcome ...
~FB
-who is hoping others will chime in with the absolute necessities he's forgotten
05-14-2012, 03:04 PM,
RE: Need advice please
Thank you very much FB for your advice.

Frank55