Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transitioning from ProThik
05-09-2012, 02:39 PM,
Transitioning from ProThik
I've been using ProThik for almost 5 years now. Its plus, and it's a big plus, is it makes me look like I have way more hair than I really do.

However, after all that time, the negatives are really weighing on me. I'm sick of the mess (in my bathroom, all over my pillowcases, steering wheel in car) and am still not fully secure with it. The issue with ProThik is it's dull. It looks almost natural, but not quite. Even though it looks like I have way thicker hair than I do, I'm always worried about what people think when they see it.

Anyway, my plan for a while has been to wait until I switch jobs. I decided that a few years ago. And here I am, 4 years later, at the same job.

There's a chance I may be seeking another job in the next year, but there's also a chance I'll be at this job for a bit longer. And I'm reaching the point where I'm not sure if I want to wait anymore.

My job allows me to wear a hat. Others do, for fashion or whatever reason, and no one cares. So some days when I don't want the maintenance I do that. But I'm always worried about having to uncover when I've been sweaty, it's rubbed off, and generally looks awful.

Anyway, my challenge is transitioning. People are used to the current look, for better or worse, and if I come in with a new shiny piece they're going to notice.

I plan on going to someone professional, for at the very least the first time. Debbie perhaps? I believe I remember her being in Maine? I'm in New England so not too far.

I had a thought of maybe "weaning off" the ProThik by wearing a little on the piece and slowly reducing that. Is that feasible? Will it ruin the piece?

Also, I see Debbie hasn't been on the forum for a long time. Can anyone PM me her email?
05-09-2012, 08:56 PM,
RE: Transitioning from ProThik
It`s the old story with those thickeners...they are only good/useful for a certain time, after that, you reach decision-time, on which path to choose.
To answer your question, thickeners have no adverse effect on system hair, no more than it does to growing hair.. however, it could possibly darken/stain your lace as it does on your pillow slips etc. You could simply order an extremely light-density blonde system and have Debbie colour it to match your own hair....I suggest blonde because that way, with such a light-density piece, knot-visibility would / could be an issue ..they`d need to be perfectly bleached. You could order a 2nd system at the same time with a stepped-up density and `wean` yourself [those around you at work ] up to the higher density after a few weeks...the fact that you are able to wear head-wear at work will be helpful.... you`d be surprised at how little notice people take of your hair generally.... certainly if you leave work on a Friday , literally bald on top, and arrive in on Monday with a full head of hair, there`ll be raised-eyebrows, but a gradual transition as I`ve suggested, while more expensive , due to ordering a number of systems with varying [upward] densities, will certainly `ease` the shock-factor.
Debbie has her own site http://www.splitendshairreplacement.com Contat details are on the site.
05-11-2012, 02:32 PM,
Interesting points. Maybe I am over-thinking it.

Also, the ProThik now gives the illusion of thickness and a full hairline - so I planned on doing a medium to medium-high density and do the same short comb-forward style I have now. And maybe switching it up later. With that in mind, would knot staining from ProThik be less of a concern?
05-12-2012, 02:46 PM,
Isn't there an NYC stylist that is preferred on this board too? I want to use Debbie for my first time but NYC is wayyy closer to me.