Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lace front pieces -- really undetectable?
08-18-2009, 06:01 AM,
Re: Lace front pieces -- really undetectable?
Mate when applied correctly there is no way you can see lace, How could you ? As if you have applied correctly the lace is buried in the glue.

SFS cannot be seen in all the tests I did, I would say French is 98% not 100% but even then it would be very difficult to spot as the lighting and angles would have to be perfect which is not the case in everyday life.
08-18-2009, 11:06 AM,
A lace piece hairline is an illusion... but it's a good one.

Real hair growing out of skin does look different (you can actually see the hair coming right out of the skin), but most people have no clue and no one looks at you with that level of detail anyway. You also don't have to expose the whole hairline.

If you do things right and maintain the piece, you don't really need to worry about anyone detecting it by sight.
08-18-2009, 11:09 AM,
That's definitely what I needed to hear. I think my fear was more about the little pattern that it might make IN the glue -- glue isn't always 100% transparent when other substance are in it .. but I imagine the glues used for hairpieces is built to dry completely invisible and shine free.

As I've said in my past posts, I'm not obessing about this now because I will obsess about it later, I'm obsessing now because it is a 3 month project to shave one's head and then regrow it, so if I'm going to try it again, I want to really be sure.

I wish I'd tried SFS back when I'd already shaved my stupid head. Oh well. Live and learn.
08-18-2009, 01:36 PM,
To square the circle, I think there are 2 different questions being answered here:

(1) If you look where the lace is, can you ever see it? In my experience, if you pull my hair back and eyeball at close quarters the 2-millimetre-wide strip in front of my hairpiece, in the right light (strong light shone from the side) you can occasionally see something - maybe 10% of the time.

(2) Does the visibility of the lace ever give away the fact I am wearing a hairpiece? Answer 100% no. The reason is that even if you can see the lace as described above, it doesn't look like lace. It just looks like a tiny bit of dry skin. Even another hairpiece wearer would be unlikely to think: he is wearing a piece.

If you read back through this board, you see various posts about people spotting bad rugs, or rugs with a bad colour match or density match. But I don't recall a single occasion when someone said, I saw a guy in the street and I could see his front lace, so I knew he was wearing a hairpiece.

John Travolta is an odd case. He was wearing a stage hairpiece, not a normal streetwear piece. In the theatre and in the movies they leave a lot of lace on the front of hairpieces, perhaps because it helps to stop fraying. It doesn't normally matter, because they use thick make-up which conceals the lace. It is not clear why Travolta allowed himself to get caught offstage in a stage hairpiece, but I expect it was an accident, like when Brendan Fraser was snapped with his hairpiece off. In any event, it is not relevant to your situation if you wear a Toplace piece.

Ted
08-18-2009, 01:37 PM,
matthewmatthews Wrote:That's definitely what I needed to hear. I think my fear was more about the little pattern that it might make IN the glue -- glue isn't always 100% transparent when other substance are in it .. but I imagine the glues used for hairpieces is built to dry completely invisible and shine free.

As I've said in my past posts, I'm not obessing about this now because I will obsess about it later, I'm obsessing now because it is a 3 month project to shave one's head and then regrow it, so if I'm going to try it again, I want to really be sure.

I wish I'd tried SFS back when I'd already shaved my stupid head. Oh well. Live and learn.

I have posted these before mate but just to put your mind at rest this is how a lace front looks when it is attached correctly, If you can make it up to Windsor for the convention on October 24th I will personally show how to achieve it.

Attached Files Image(s)

08-18-2009, 07:57 PM,
If your piece was noticed by 90 percent of the people, then one out of every ten people that come across would detect your piece. It would have to be a terrible piece to be recognized by that many people. In reality if you know what you are doing, nobody will be able to spot your hair, with the possible exception of other hair wearers. Most peoble don't even notice moderately bad pieces.
Mr. Guinness
08-19-2009, 03:47 AM,
To be honest In the 5 months I have been wearing I find that the clor match and curl match is far more of a give away than lace, I mean if you cut the lace to one of two holes in front of the hairline no one is ever going to see that. Concentrate more on matching the color and density than anything else, people wont look closley unless its looks dodgy from the first sight (eg wrong color, curl, density etc). Good luck with what ever you decide to do
08-19-2009, 04:29 AM,
Ah, yes, now this is the sort of reassurance I was after. Thank-you, all of you.

BA -- yes, I've seen those pictures before, and they're extraordinary. I do wonder if photographs, even good photographs, given the right lighting, can be made to be extra invisible, whereas certain natural lighting (especially twilight) can reveal everything. But the more I hear about this, the more unlikely it seems that people will see the lace. Especially if I opt for a not completely brushed back style -- something with piecy-ness that hash air flying in every direction.

One last question, without starting a new thread -- lace pieces, especially the all lace ones -- you guys pretty much don't notice you're wearing them after a while? The thinskin I had before was pretty obvious to me -- especially when I showered. But I hear lace sort of becomes a part of you.

And lace, I hear too, can hold up pretty just as well in active situations (sports, swimming, and on-stage musician antics?)

Thanks, this forum is amazing.
08-19-2009, 04:50 AM,
matthewmatthews Wrote:One last question, without starting a new thread -- lace pieces, especially the all lace ones -- you guys pretty much don't notice you're wearing them after a while? The thinskin I had before was pretty obvious to me -- especially when I showered. But I hear lace sort of becomes a part of you.

You will totally forget you are wearing it!

Unless you touch or pull at the base (which can happen when you shower).
08-19-2009, 10:29 AM,
matthewmatthews Wrote:Ah, yes, now this is the sort of reassurance I was after. Thank-you, all of you.

BA -- yes, I've seen those pictures before, and they're extraordinary. I do wonder if photographs, even good photographs, given the right lighting, can be made to be extra invisible, whereas certain natural lighting (especially twilight) can reveal everything. But the more I hear about this, the more unlikely it seems that people will see the lace. Especially if I opt for a not completely brushed back style -- something with piecy-ness that hash air flying in every direction.

One last question, without starting a new thread -- lace pieces, especially the all lace ones -- you guys pretty much don't notice you're wearing them after a while? The thinskin I had before was pretty obvious to me -- especially when I showered. But I hear lace sort of becomes a part of you.

And lace, I hear too, can hold up pretty just as well in active situations (sports, swimming, and on-stage musician antics?)

Thanks, this forum is amazing.

SFS was not visible in many tests I did, French was only once and this is when I was looking through the rear view mirror in the car and the sunlight was coming through the side window and on to the hairline, See French lace ha smaller hole pattern and that being there is more material than the SFS which has a larger hole pattern and less material so the glue covers it
better, Both lace patterns below 1 = French 2 = Swiss :

Attached Files Image(s)