Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visible Poly
05-05-2012, 06:27 PM,
Visible Poly
Yesterday i was standing behind a guy in line at the grocery store, and noticed that something wasn't right with his hair.

Now, i am sure that 99% of people would never have noticed this, but being in the hair wearing club, i guess i'm always looking at people's hair...

His hair was black, and the density was quite low - Plenty of scalp was visible, which made the 'illusion' of real hair very realistic..

The problem was though, in at the bottom of the crown area, there was a sharp black horizontal line, which i can only assume was the poly perimeter at the back of his hairpiece. - (Sorry, i wasn't able to discreetly take a photo)

If that was me, i would definitely want to know.. but i just couldn't bring myself to tell him.. i mean, how do you politely tell a stranger that there's something wrong with their hairpiece?
05-06-2012, 12:24 AM,
RE: Visible Poly
you don't tell him
05-06-2012, 02:25 AM,
I really understand your dilemma.
I have used the same upholsterer for 12 years, but not needed his services in the last year.
The other day I went to see him and walked straight past him outside his works.
He called to me and I turned around and all I could see was his hair.
I suppose he was thinning before but I never really noticed.
Now he has this 'thatch' of hair plonked on his head.
Its not a bad hair piece, its just not right for him.
The colour is slightly off, the hairline too low and the cut doesn't suit him.

I have to go back next week to pick up my stuff and I keep thinking how can I say something and not offend him.
All I want to do is help, he's a really nice guy in his 40s and a few adjustments and it would be ok.
But Devildan is right. I can't say anything.
By the time I'm due to see him, I'll be needing to do a re-attachment.
I did wonder about showing him mine and then asking him about his...... but I still think the answer is NO, I shouldn't say anything.
05-06-2012, 05:22 AM,
You or I would notice since we wear.

Don't ever out somebody for having a bad piece or for having imperfections.

If they are unhappy with how they look, they will investigate methods to change that fact. If not, they are happy how they look and 99% of the public doesn't know the difference.
05-06-2012, 05:35 AM,
I keep wondering if I'd mind if someone said something to me?
If I thought their hair looked really good, I might be initially unhappy, but if it was something I could do something about, I think I would be grateful for the honesty.

If I thought their hair looked really bad, I'd be mortified!

What would anybody else think if they/you were approached?
05-06-2012, 09:37 PM,
I think if it was from another wearer, and done discretely, i would appreciate a "heads up," despite some initial discomfort ...

I'd still be hesitant to say anything to another wearer, despite having only the best intentions. If I did, I would certainly disclose that I wore ... to let them know I am in the same position, and to suggest that I'm seeing something only another wearer would notice (even if it would perhaps be more obvious than that).

If I saw a really bad "rug," that anyone would notice, on a blissfully ignorant and happy individual ... I wouldn't do it. The only scenario I could see doing it would be to a guy who's got it nailed pretty well, but might be unaware of some lifting lace at the hairline, or really pronounced tape shine around the back or sides, etc. It's a tough one ... cuz even then, I would feel I should "out" myself, and might not do it for that reason alone.

And the above "bad rug" scenario is a shame because he's the guy who could most benefit from the help ... yet it feels wrong. As has been suggested already in this thread, if someone seems blissfully unaware, who am I to judge ? It occurs to me I would only be projecting my own discomfort w/ wearing said rug, onto them ... they might feel fine.

~FB