Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from a newbie!
04-27-2012, 10:56 AM,
Hello from a newbie!
I just wanted to take a minute and say how happy I am to have found these forums, and all the great information it contains. I am just transitioning into the DIY phase since I’ve decided to part ways with Apollo and their sneaky sales tactics and high prices. My hair started thinning when I was around twenty and got progressively worse each year. I still had very strong hair on the sides and back, but the top was just about gone.

Last year I decided to take the plunge and I went with the Apollo Hair system place in a neighboring city. It was quite expensive to get a system from them, but I thought that was the only option at that time. After getting my system my self confidence went way up. I was more outgoing at work and home and actually enjoyed going out to new places with friends. If any guys out there are on the fence I recommend just taking the plunge and the odds are that you will love it.

The one thing I wanted to address, and the thing that seems to be a common theme among newbies, is how to appear at work or among family/friends for the first time after getting a system. I faced the problem head on and was very open about the whole thing. If somebody asked if I had done something to my hair, I said “yes, I went to Apollo”. I didn’t try to hide the fact I was wearing, and by being so open about it I think it actually took some of these “Debbie Downers” by surprise. I think something only becomes a big deal when you allow it to happen and I didn’t. Most people didn’t even notice, but the only people that asked were guys that were either bald or thinning (go figure).

Anyway, I look forward to becoming friends with the members here and hopefully becoming a nice addition to the Toplace forum family.

Take care,
Sidney M.
04-27-2012, 11:26 AM,
RE: Hello from a newbie!
I have considered this option.
I started wearing in January, and felt like a fraud the whole time, and felt like i was being looked at and maybe even talked about at work.. so i removed it and shaved my head.

but i've ordered a new piece and haven't yet decided how i'll go about the 'reveal' when i start wearing it to work.. not sure if i'll try and stay quiet and secretive, or try the open and honest approach like you have.

thanks for the post.. food for thought
04-27-2012, 09:22 PM,
Guess it depends on your situation, I look (thanks to concealer and growning my hair long) like I have a full head of hair so my transition wont be noticable, there is one family member who did make comments about my hair many years ago, I never see him I guess if i do see hime I could make up all sorts of things.

Obviously if you have little hair then suddenly have lots its going to be difficult to explain it so maybe being honest is the best thing to do, but theres others who really dont care what people think and wont tell anyone.

Were all different and theres so many variables its impossible to say what the right approach is because its much more of an individual thing.
04-30-2012, 02:57 PM,
Thanks for the post. People like you with encouraging comments are the reason I'm giving this a shot. This forum and it's members have been great and they are the absolute reason I'm taking the plunge.
05-01-2012, 07:33 AM,
Quote:The one thing I wanted to address, and the thing that seems to be a common theme among newbies, is how to appear at work or among family/friends for the first time after getting a system. I faced the problem head on and was very open about the whole thing. If somebody asked if I had done something to my hair, I said “yes, I went to Apollo”. I didn’t try to hide the fact I was wearing, and by being so open about it I think it actually took some of these “Debbie Downers” by surprise. I think something only becomes a big deal when you allow it to happen and I didn’t. Most people didn’t even notice, but the only people that asked were guys that were either bald or thinning (go figure).

Agree 100%. When you treat it as a matter of fact sort of thing that's how other people will treat it. You have to wear the hair, not let the hair wear you. For some people it's easier said than done but once you manage to get yourself over that hump it's a game changer.