Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post Cut-In Impressions
04-25-2012, 11:39 AM,
Post Cut-In Impressions
Ok, so I did it, got the cut in. Here are my concerns. I went to a salon that does wigs and hair pieces. Had her help me with the attachment... which was my first mistake. She did tape around the whole perimiter, even in the front, when I expressed concern she said it was non shiny and wouldn't be noticeable. Well ask it turns out it's hella shiny and I've easily noticed it in it every mirror I've looked in. Her attachment job was aweful. There are bumps everywhere, and the perimeter isn't even secure, just flopping around (she didn't put the tape to the very edge, so the edge is visible by sight and touch.

She had to color the piece a bit (it was too light) and she stained parts of the lace, but it was mostly toward the middle... so I think I might be ok? Any suggestions on fixing that though? Can I bleach the lace or use some sort of color remover? Not a huge concern, but I'm going for as real as possible. She also colored the piece too dark, I think she left it on too long.

As for the cut, she did a pretty good job. I'm happy with the overall style, but she gave me a style that looks best with an exposed hairline, and gave me NO confidence I could expose this monster of a hairline.

So none of this is Toplace's fault, must have found a bad stylist. I think I'll debond tonight (can I do that?) and rebond myself. I think I can do a much better job, and I plan on using glue. Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated... looks like I'll be prolonging the life of my hat a little longer than expected. But overall I still think (have hope) that I can pull this off. Just need to make some more tweeks. Thanks guys!
04-25-2012, 01:38 PM,
RE: Post Cut-In Impressions
To remove the staining to the lace, a great product is Goldwell Color Remover.
You could apply it to the lace with a Q-Tip.
Its more gentle than bleach & doesn't harm the hair knots, so no shedding.
You could also use it to take the dark tone of the dye down a bit and lighten the hair.
You only need to mix up a tiny bit at a time, so it lasts.

I'm really sorry to hear that she botched things up for you.
But maybe her mistakes have helped show you what NOT to do and I admire that you're determined to put it right yourself.

There is no problem with you detaching yourself right away as long as you've got the right products to loosen the tape and clean up afterwards.

Best of luck & keep us posted!

Attached Files Image(s)

04-25-2012, 03:21 PM,
I will definately go look for some of that! Thank you! So I just did the debond/rebond. New issue. This time my fault. haha. I did full head glue bond and I got the front alignment wrong and it is too far forward. People that don't know my wouldn't question, but people that know me will def know something is not right. May have to do yet another de/re.

When debonding glue, do you usually let the rubbing alcohol/solvent sit for a certain amount of time? And I tried a mirror slide to get some left over glues off from the first bond and it didn't seem to do anything, perhaps I'm doing it wrong?

Last question, I'm pretty sure this has been brought up, but how on earth do you get rid of all bumps? Most of it is clean, but the front has some waves and one spot in the middle folded clean over itself and is awful! Oi.

I'm starting to get worried that I am not going to pull this off... but I'm going to try as hard as I can!
04-25-2012, 03:53 PM,
I have doing this for many years and I still dread the attachment process because unless I have the thing on 100% perfectly, I cannot stand it and it drives me insane. I know its a bit silly, but when my unit is on right, I don't notice that its there and that's what I want.

There is a product called "Adjust a Bond" which is essentially 99% isopropyl alcohol with a fragrance. After you tape up your unit and put adhesive wherever it is that you put it, you spray this stuff all over your head and unit, wherever it will bond to your scalp (on the base, not the hair). Then, you plop the sucker on your dome and you can move it around and position it exactly as you want it. Once you get it where you want it, you can begin to press it down to eliminate any bumps or whatever. You get about a minute or so of full "moveability" until the alcohol evaporates and the tape and adhesive are now free to bond. If you have a unit that fits your head well, once you get into place, you should be able to press it from the center outwards to the perimeter and get a nice, well-positioned bond.

Now - some people like to attach directly to the front and pull the unit backwards, tacking it down as they go. This is great if you can do it right every time, however I've yet to find a pro who gets it right everytime, and once that's on, its ON unless you want to immediately detach and start all over again with the glue and tape. THAT's when the nightmare begins.

Therefore, I recommend trying this adjust a bond stuff, or like I said, you can also fill a small spray bottle with 99% alcohol. Further, there may be other, similar products available I haven't checked. Maybe this is all common knowledge, but I was blown away when I "discovered" you can use something like this because it makes the reattachment process much less bothersome, at least to me!
04-25-2012, 05:11 PM,
Ohio guy, that is brilliant. I had never heard of that. I tried going from front to back, and well, failed. haha. I'll have to de/re tomorrow morning. Hopefully the glue isn't too much of a hastle to clean. I'll fix a spray bottle with alcohol and give that a shot next time I'm attaching.

When using glue in the front, do you normally put the glue PAST where the lace hairline will lie? Or just before it? Just trying to find the best way to attach this sucker. Also, what ways are good to avoid getting glue in the hair? I did a very thin layer and it still got through the lace and into the hair (and I waited for it to be "tacky")... I imagine this is going to be a nightmare to clean. Any suggestions? You guys have been a great help so far.
04-25-2012, 08:20 PM,
It depends what you've got to clean/remove glue with? You might need to let the lace & hair sit in a dish of the stuff to get it out of the hair, when the piece is off.
Once the glue is softened, you can then do the mirror slide.

This is how I attach mine.
Scalp dry, piece dry. Put the piece in its right position on my head.
Fold back the front so I can see the lace side (Still holding it in the right position on my head.)
I use a make up pencil and put 2 dots on either side of my scalp, approx 2-3 inches back from the hairline. I fold the lace back to where it meets the dots and mark the underneath of the lace at those same 2 points.
So I can remove the piece and put it back again and as long as the dots all match up, it will always go back in the right position. (I hope that makes sense?)

With the piece in position, I use the teeth of a comb and press them in to my scalp all along where the lace front hairline is & ends.
So when I remove the piece to apply the glue, the dents in my scalp show me exactly where to apply the glue up to along the hairline.

I put on 2 layers of Oil Resistant White Glue.

When they're dry, I put the piece back on, matching the dots and the edge of the glue exactly matches the edge of the lace front.
I use the teeth of the comb and go along the edge of the hairline and press the lace in to the glue.

I do my attachments at night so the glue hardens whilst I sleep.
By morning I can spritz it with water and style it and it doesn't affect the attachment.

I also cut my lace back right to where the hairline is. Some people leave a bit of extra lace (1-2 millimetres)

As I say, I hope I've explained it clearly.