Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going the DIY route and have a tape question
03-28-2012, 07:50 AM,
Going the DIY route and have a tape question
Hey guys..

I have been lurking here for quite a while and post the odd time. I've been a wearer for well over 10 years. I'm going the DIY route for maintenance and currently I use a ghost bond like glue on the front hairline (lace) and will be using tape along the sides and back. The system I currently have has poly back and sides.

My question is about the tape. I tried a blue tape that I had from my days at the "club" but I found it got really gummy when I took the system off after it had lost some of its hold and it was hell cleaning my head, and it got into my hair etc. It was like the tape broke down instead of losing it's grip. I recently got some red tape from my guy that I get the system from and I find that lasts about 5 days before it looses its stickiness (feels like if you touch scotch tape 20 times). The good part is there is no mess as it just loses its hold from my head.

I'll need to buy some tape and wondering if blue or red are my only options. Also the independent place I go doesn't seem to be up with the trends so I'm looking for supplies elsewhere. I'm hoping to find a tape that can last longer than 5 days but want the characteristics of the red if that makes sense.

thanks!
03-28-2012, 09:12 AM,
RE: Going the DIY route and have a tape question
(03-28-2012, 07:56 AM)MattNH Wrote: Sunshine tape is what I use - about 7 days strong hold & absolutely no mess on clean up - Can't recommend it highly enough. Not sure about the shininess on the front, i.e for lace, I have a thin skin perimeter all round. Regards

Hmmm ok I'll have a look and see where to get it. After 7 days does it just lose it's grip or does it break down? I know everyone is different.

I won't be using it on the front since I'll be using the bond like I have been for probably 12 years. It's just for the back and sides

Anyone else care to chime in?
03-28-2012, 03:36 PM,
(03-28-2012, 09:12 AM)LP Dude Wrote:
(03-28-2012, 07:56 AM)MattNH Wrote: Sunshine tape is what I use - about 7 days strong hold & absolutely no mess on clean up - Can't recommend it highly enough. Not sure about the shininess on the front, i.e for lace, I have a thin skin perimeter all round. Regards

Hmmm ok I'll have a look and see where to get it. After 7 days does it just lose it's grip or does it break down? I know everyone is different.

I won't be using it on the front since I'll be using the bond like I have been for probably 12 years. It's just for the back and sides

Anyone else care to chime in?

Stick It Tape. I detach once per week, and the tape is still going strong with an easy cleanup. I was in Europe a couple of months ago, and didn't reattach for 15 days. Still holding and easy cleanup on the 16th day.
03-29-2012, 12:18 PM,
Extenda-bond mini tabs are the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion. No breakdown at all after 10 days and I really don't know when it starts losing its hold because even after 2 weeks it is stuck down strong. I stick it to my head first (why do more guys not do this? it's the way to go!) and rub a very thin smear of ORWG over to take away any shine.
03-29-2012, 12:18 PM,
Extenda-bond mini tabs are the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion. No breakdown at all after 10 days and I really don't know when it starts losing its hold because even after 2 weeks it is stuck down strong. I stick it to my head first (why do more guys not do this? it's the way to go!) and rub a very thin smear of ORWG over to take away any shine.
04-06-2012, 07:08 AM,
Well I ordered the stick-it roll and sunshine roll and should be arriving today. Will post back what I think of each when I try it. More opinions can only help others