Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front Ripples
03-03-2012, 11:28 AM,
RE: Front Ripples
OK. So I've only been wearing for 2 weeks today. In those 2 weeks I've done 4 or 5 de/reattaches. Until yesterday I always had ripples in the front lace.

The difference with yesterday was that I only laid down 3 coats of white glue (HD brand) along the front edge about 1/2" wide. Gave the edge a good spray of 90% Iso/Alch. Then I first attached the center edge first and slowly worked around to one side and then the other. The front came out perfectly smooth and invisible. The ripples that did happen were back into the joint with my natural hair line and well concealed.
03-06-2012, 05:47 AM,
(03-03-2012, 11:28 AM)Daws Wrote: OK. So I've only been wearing for 2 weeks today. In those 2 weeks I've done 4 or 5 de/reattaches. Until yesterday I always had ripples in the front lace.

The difference with yesterday was that I only laid down 3 coats of white glue (HD brand) along the front edge about 1/2" wide. Gave the edge a good spray of 90% Iso/Alch. Then I first attached the center edge first and slowly worked around to one side and then the other. The front came out perfectly smooth and invisible. The ripples that did happen were back into the joint with my natural hair line and well concealed.

I'm going to try that on my next attachment. Do you use any tape on the front behind the hairline or just all glue? I have another stock that I just started wearing this past weekend because my other one started to fray a little, the new one rippled on the first attachment with tape. The previous one ripped with both tape and glue. I have a custom that just arrived today. I will be cutting that one in and will attach that towards the end of the week. I must be doing something wrong. Right now I'm not that stresses since I'm out of work. I want to get this sorted out before I find a new job.
03-06-2012, 07:28 AM,
I tape the perimeter and just glue the front 1/2" hairline. No tape in the front at all.
03-06-2012, 08:03 AM,
(02-28-2012, 03:50 PM)Rafs Wrote: I just attached the front with glue. I still have some ripples, but not as bad as when I use tape. I'll see what it looks like outside in the daylight tomorrow. But now I have some hairs stuck to the glue at the hairline which doesn't look very good. However this was my first attempt with glue. Other then this time I tried some Got2b glued and that turned out to be messy. Hopefully it gets better for my next attachment. I also should point out that this is a stock piece.

Just use a Q-tip [cotton-bud]soaked in lace-release and dab the hairs which are stuck to the glue at the front..that`ll release them no bothers.
03-07-2012, 02:52 PM,
(03-03-2012, 11:28 AM)Daws Wrote: OK. So I've only been wearing for 2 weeks today. In those 2 weeks I've done 4 or 5 de/reattaches. Until yesterday I always had ripples in the front lace.

Thanks for the info. I just attached the center first and did one side at a time. All the ripples have moved to each side hidden within side hairline. I feel 2 folds on each side. They might have been cause by having the sides still attached. Since I just attached the other day I just removed the tape on the front hairline and replaced it with glue tonight. One fold is larger then the other but its better then having the front hair messed up. I should be able to avoid these folds by attaching the front next time then the sides.
03-17-2012, 03:34 AM,
(03-07-2012, 02:52 PM)Rafs Wrote: ...I just attached the center first and did one side at a time. All the ripples have moved to each side hidden within side hairline. I feel 2 folds on each side.

...One fold is larger then the other but its better then having the front hair messed up.

....I should be able to avoid these folds by attaching the front next time then the sides.
Unless you flatten your head you really can never get rid of the folds (a fold being a single large ripple).

Don't know why so many of you here struggle with the concept of flat versus curved, thought Colombus had a breakthrough in 1492 but he had to go to leave Italy and make his case in Spain. Smile

Just imagine if the folds were cut out, making the base curved - just like the template you sent in.

However the factory can only make them slightly curved (let's face it the base is 99% flat, no?) and letting the piece dry on a curved styrofoam only really helps a little. Cutting the darts yourself is the key to a perfect fit.

The factory never makes a piece that curves like your template. No one here has ever noticed that?

Many don't notice the folds/ripples and style their hair where it is just not noticeable.

All in all if you are able to make it work and you look good that's all that matters, regardless of the technique. GLTA