Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concealer Help Needed
03-09-2012, 04:40 AM,
Concealer Help Needed
So I realize this isn't directly related to hair systems. But there were some complications when I first tried wearing and I ended up having to shave my head. I want to give it another go, but in order to do that I need to let my hair grow long enough. I've never used concealers and would like to try to provide as seamless a transition as possible (so I don't go from really thin to suddenly a full head of hair). I've tried dermmatch, but the closer color to my hair turns it orange. Toppik just makes my hair look dirty, like I've been sanding all day.

I know many of you transitioned from concealers, so any advice or tricks I can use to make my hair look thicker with those so I can transition to a hair system when it's finally long enough? By the way I have dirty blonde hair. Any help would be great, thanks guys.
03-09-2012, 06:45 AM,
RE: Concealer Help Needed
Well I used concealers before I started wearing, but I have dark brown hair. I am not sure about color suggestions. The product I used was called prothik, It was a spray and was easy for me to apply and I liked the way it stayed in and looked the best. I guess give that one a try, I didn't like topik either.. dermmatch was ok. but kind of annoying to do large areas.. I liked it more for touch ups. or small spots like the temple areas etc.
03-09-2012, 07:28 AM,
I am using Dermmatch cos my previous stylist shave one inch of my good hair and it works well. I hope it doesn't stain my lace.

@Xenon, i saw your recommendation in another post about waxworks from Paul Mitchell so i bought one and ive been using it for a couple of days. I have to say i like it a lot compared to a serum. The texture and the hold is perfect for the hair. Thanks!! Do you use it everyday and then rinse and apply it again or? Can i use a leave-in-conditioner enhance recommended Paul before using waxworks?
03-10-2012, 05:00 AM,
Where did you buy the Prothick? Is it similar to toppik? Is it like hair building fibers or something different? I do appreciate the help.
03-10-2012, 09:50 AM,
Nanogen concealer is what i used for whoo around 6-7 yrs, works great.
best results
tap onto hair, then patt hair so it falls naturally through.
hold in place with hair spray,
03-10-2012, 10:09 AM,
Hey journey.. I don't really worry about washing it out. I guess i wash it out after 3 or so days. Just depend son you.. if u feel its building up too much you can just rinse it out with water or shampoo.. It seems to come out easily. I never really had a product build up issue, and i believe most of the ingredients are good for the hair.

I think the site is prothik.com Its a spray can, and its not like toppik at all.. Its more of a colored myst that thickens the hair. Its not fibers.. There is a slight learning curve when using it.. But once you get the hang of it, its very simple easy and effective. I spray it maybe six or so inches away from the areas, and than i spray it with hair spray and comb the hair to blend it through the hair to make the hair thicker. You just gotta try and practice a couple of times.. when i first used prothik i didn't like it i thought it was messy, but than i kept using it and got the hang of it and it doesn't rub off easily like the other products.. it stays in place better once it dries.
03-16-2012, 10:14 AM,
I used nanogens for a year and they worked great. If you need to make your hair look more gel look I would suggest you try adding some volumising mascara (water proof is best!). I used these for a year to build my hair up from a shaved hear to a full great head of hair. Never been busted and I work with men who would rip into me every day if they knew.

Trick is to take a full year and create a style to suit your products, not a style you want when you wear, you can build up to that when you are wearing, whilst using consealer keep in quite short and flat.

I did that and then got a short cut on my first system (buzz cut to about an inch in length), wore it flat to match for 2 weeks, noone noticed the switch so I started adding a bit of gel and spiking it a bit more each week. Now have a great messy gel look and noone knows any better. My sister did ask me how I managed to get my hair looking so great after it seemed to thin, told her it was stress and i am on medication, she bought it.

Good luck!
03-17-2012, 05:59 AM,
Thanks for the advice! So benq, when you were growing it out preparing to wear, how long were you able to go with the concealers? When you started wearing you said you cut it to an inch? But did it take a full year to grow to that length? I think when I start wearing I want a longer, shaggy look, but i'm worried I wont be able to grow my real hair very long and still make concealers work. I have been using Caboki and have been pretty impressed. It matches my color perfectly and makes my hair look much fuller. If you look super close up it kind of looks dusty, but it works the best i've found so far. But do you think a longer style can look full with concealers? I appreciate the help, i'm really hoping wearing works out this time!
03-17-2012, 08:36 AM,
concealers have there time&place,
as long as its not a struggle when youre using them,
the product should enable you to style youre hair pretty quick,
if its taking you to long everytime,you either havent the hair density to carry on using the product with success,or arnt following directions.

for gods sake , dont make the mistake i made and struggle using concealer when you should be moving on to wearing.or shaving cliping youre hair down and accepting it, youre choice.
as what is normal to youre eye as youre used to seeng it may look abnormal to others,
i rekon looking back i had a weird hair style when comming to the end of my concealer days but not admitting it.

be honest take a long hard look, take note of other folks reactions, do they look at youre hair, ect.
best thing iv done moved onto wearing, way easier than concealer,
and no compromise on styling options.
just gotta find money to buy more hair systems,
but hey thats do able.
when you bond the system to youre hair and begin styling, you feel bloody brilliant.
the icing on the cake.
anty Smile
03-18-2012, 10:26 PM,
(03-17-2012, 05:59 AM)Hair Scare Wrote: Thanks for the advice! So benq, when you were growing it out preparing to wear, how long were you able to go with the concealers? When you started wearing you said you cut it to an inch? But did it take a full year to grow to that length? I think when I start wearing I want a longer, shaggy look, but i'm worried I wont be able to grow my real hair very long and still make concealers work. I have been using Caboki and have been pretty impressed. It matches my color perfectly and makes my hair look much fuller. If you look super close up it kind of looks dusty, but it works the best i've found so far. But do you think a longer style can look full with concealers? I appreciate the help, i'm really hoping wearing works out this time!

You shouldnt be trying to get your hairstyle right using conealers, keep a shorter style that makes your hair look full, all you are trying to do at this point is convice everyone your hair is thickening back up. Tell people it was stress an alopecia if they ask, just keep it cropped and get it looking nice and thick until you are happy everyone has accepted your hair is thick again.

Then, move over to a short cut system that matches your concealer style (might be a bit longer but keep it flat and to the same style). Keep it like that for a month and then slowly start to style it they way you ant it, then after a few weeks swap to a slightly longer one if you want but match the style the same, thats the important part. Then slowly change it to match where you want to go and so on and so on until your have your look.