Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front Ripples
02-28-2012, 04:31 PM,
RE: Front Ripples
(02-28-2012, 03:50 PM)Rafs Wrote: I also should point out that this is a stock piece.

There's your problem.

Depending on how bad the fit is, you might try attaching by starting in the front and pulling that edge snug in order to force the ripples to the sides or back where you can hide them with hair.

In the long run- switch to custom pieces and you won't have to worry about any of this anymore.
02-28-2012, 08:25 PM,
(02-28-2012, 06:15 AM)Xeon005 Wrote: Is this a lace or skin piece? I know Davlyn black is usually used on tape or skin etc. Some units I don't get any ripples.. the ones that fit perfectly to your head I don't have a problem with. maybe alcohol slide would help resolve that as you can spread it out
This is for lace, it doesnt blotch either which is another benefit..
02-29-2012, 01:40 AM,
When applying & pulling taught a lace piece, it's going to stretch over time, whether it be stock or custom. It's the nature of the material. Regards
02-29-2012, 02:18 AM,
(02-28-2012, 03:50 PM)Rafs Wrote: I just attached the front with glue. I still have some ripples, but not as bad as when I use tape. I'll see what it looks like outside in the daylight tomorrow. But now I have some hairs stuck to the glue at the hairline which doesn't look very good. However this was my first attempt with glue. Other then this time I tried some Got2b glued and that turned out to be messy. Hopefully it gets better for my next attachment. I also should point out that this is a stock piece.

For the hairs that are stuck to the glue, apply alcohol to a Q tip, and gently rub on the hairs stuck to the glue. This should release the hairs. Don't get to close to the hairline, or it may effect the bond.
02-29-2012, 03:46 AM,
I am speaking from my own experience and I dont think there is a damn thing you can do when you have a piece that gives you ripples, be it glue, tape or just plain cement !!!! And this goes for it being custom or stock.......I have had my share of pieces from one vendor who will remain nameless. I have worn for a long time and there is nothing more frustrating or annoyimng then having a nice piece that just puckers up at the front no matter how I try and attach it.

In my opinion the more you stretch the lace front the worse the accordian or ripple effect becomes.....I think the only way you can hide the ripples and still make use of piece is simply style your hair brushed forward and down or send piece back to whoever sold it to you with the front redone and with the promise that it will come back normal and if not ask for refund.

I dont want to hear that since it was a stock piece that its to be expected, because if that was the case, we would be hearing alot more on this issue from alot of wearers who order stock on a consistent basis, and if its happening more then being posted then shame on us for not making a bigger deal out of it.

I wish I knew what causes this but I simply dont buy the fact its acceptable and you can imagine how much more frustrating it is when this happens on a custom piece !!!!!
02-29-2012, 04:51 AM,
''In my opinion the more you stretch the lace front the worse the accordian or ripple effect becomes....'' ''I wish I knew what causes this but I simply dont buy the fact its acceptable and you can imagine how much more frustrating it is when this happens on a custom piece !!!!!''

Hope you don't mind me quoting you but you answered your own question in your post! It's exactly as I answered in my post too. For those that wear lace, don't continually stretch it to fit-lace in it's nature has elasticity, but like a good pair of used underwear, it'll eventually get baggy! Regards
02-29-2012, 05:02 AM,
(02-29-2012, 04:51 AM)MattNH Wrote: ''In my opinion the more you stretch the lace front the worse the accordian or ripple effect becomes....'' ''I wish I knew what causes this but I simply dont buy the fact its acceptable and you can imagine how much more frustrating it is when this happens on a custom piece !!!!!''

Hope you don't mind me quoting you but you answered your own question in your post! It's exactly as I answered in my post too. For those that wear lace, don't continually stretch it to fit-lace in it's nature has elasticity, but like a good pair of used underwear, it'll eventually get baggy! Regards

MattNH,

We are, I think, both coming to the same conclusions and you are right you should not have to stretch your lace, I guess I was not not making myself clear enough......Tapehead posted on here that by starting the attachment in front then pulling on sides to try an eliminate ripples and in my experience it just wont work !!!!

As to your sentence of lace will get baggy even if not stretched over the months of wearing, all I can say is I have owned stock and custom pieces that have lasted anywhere from 6 months to 1 year and have never had to worry about ripples down the road because my lace was losing its ability to hold its shape,If anything it would tend to start fraying and shedding like mad if nothing else !!! lol

The point I am trying to make is if you have a ripple issue with your unit from the very beginning that no matter what you try to do 9 times out of 10 it just wont work, I have even taken one piece and tried cutting a slit at the temple areas one time thinking by doing that it would allow the piece at the front to follow contour of my forehead better thinking that might resolve the issue....but no dice, its like something out of the devils handbook of let me play games with your mind.
02-29-2012, 12:13 PM,
(02-29-2012, 05:02 AM)masterofmyDOMEmain Wrote: Tapehead posted on here that by starting the attachment in front then pulling on sides to try an eliminate ripples and in my experience it just wont work !!!!

To be clear- I suggested this ONLY for the original poster, who is obviously dealing with a stock piece that doesn't fit very well. For him (as you mentioned and I agree) that piece is never going to work without ripples somewhere. I suggested he attach in such a way that might move the ripples to the sides or back instead of the front in order to hide them.

A quality custom piece made from a good mold will lay down on the head and fit exactly right without ripples or any need to pull or stretch the lace. Furthermore, it can continue to do this until the piece is old and worn out. With a stock piece, mileage will vary.
03-01-2012, 12:31 AM,
(02-29-2012, 04:51 AM)MattNH Wrote: ''In my opinion the more you stretch the lace front the worse the accordian or ripple effect becomes....'' ''I wish I knew what causes this but I simply dont buy the fact its acceptable and you can imagine how much more frustrating it is when this happens on a custom piece !!!!!''

Hope you don't mind me quoting either. The very thing wearers do (for the most part) to combat the ripples is stretch the front during attachment - sounds logical, I did it. But that single handedly causes more ripples, causes fraying and halves the life/wearability of your piece. No difference, stock or custom. The same lace is used.

Gents even though some darts exist, the base on lace is pretty flat or whatever curvature is extremely minimal and not enough unless you have a head shaped like Herman Munster.

The only way to handle the ripples long term is to have a curved base. The factories never have really grasped this even on custom pieces. The existing darting on new pieces all but goes when you trim the excess lace.

I started doing this http://www.forum.toplace.com/showthread....4#pid34984 a year ago and have never had ripples and my fronts not hardly fray.
03-01-2012, 03:28 AM,
"The only way to handle the ripples long term is to have a curved base. The factories never have really grasped this even on custom pieces. The existing darting on new pieces all but goes when you trim the excess lace"

Exactly...I have another piece that had darts/pleats and after trimming the base the pleats were gone. I have never pulled the front lace when applying to my head. I apply tape to the piece. So if I pulled the lace it would have only stretched the lace and the tape. So once on my head it would pull and make it worse. I notice glue helped a little. But it did not completely remove the ripples