Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
parting a freestyle unit
02-03-2012, 08:45 PM,
parting a freestyle unit
I've been trying to style a part break in a free style front partial, but the hairs directly at the part break stick up and out like a sore thumb. It's like the hair just doesn't want to be change directions. I can force it but it looks terrible. This happens no matter what side I try to part it on. Do people generally need to order a custom unit with a certain degree of hair direction built in, or is there a way to get my unit to have a convincing part? Plucking hairs and thinning that section along with forcing the hairs down with water and gel hasn't helped too much. Is this making any sense what I'm saying?
02-04-2012, 01:27 AM,
RE: parting a freestyle unit
Yes, I know what your saying, the hair wants to sick out at a 90 degree angle from your head while natural hair will bend in a different way, it will lay smoother and make a part more crisp. I have found it will settle after a few weeks but it is frustrating. How do you get to have a nice crisp part without plastering the hair with product which does not look natural?
02-04-2012, 02:00 AM,
If the piece is still new then this might just be the bounce that all pieces come with. They settle down after a week or two and some washes. I usually order freestyle too and never have problems parting the hair once the bounce has settled and I've washed it a few times. Try soaking it with warm water and then parting it and letting it dry with the part in it. This might help a bit.
02-04-2012, 03:40 AM,
(02-04-2012, 01:27 AM)hairagain Wrote: Yes, I know what your saying, the hair wants to sick out at a 90 degree angle from your head while natural hair will bend in a different way, it will lay smoother and make a part more crisp.

Yes, exactly! Especially from the side view, you can see those hairs sticking straight out. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't recall real hair behaving like that.

(02-04-2012, 02:00 AM)Hairenough Wrote: If the piece is still new then this might just be the bounce that all pieces come with. They settle down after a week or two and some washes. I usually order freestyle too and never have problems parting the hair once the bounce has settled and I've washed it a few times. Try soaking it with warm water and then parting it and letting it dry with the part in it. This might help a bit.

I've washed it several times, but I'll keep washing it to try and settle it down. I haven't tried parting it and letting it dry that way. Thanks, I'll try that. Do you think ordering a custom with a part built in would solve the problem, or would that be too extreme?
02-04-2012, 05:42 AM,
You can order parts to be put into the ventilation yes. That should help.
02-04-2012, 06:47 AM,
(02-04-2012, 05:42 AM)Hairenough Wrote: You can order parts to be put into the ventilation yes. That should help.

I have had the same problem. I also like to change my style, which really doesn't work well. I like to wear a defined part for work, and brush it straight back at other times. My solution is, next time I order, I will order 2. One with a part ventilated, and one with a flatback style..
02-04-2012, 11:06 AM,
That's a pretty good suggestion to order 2 style. From my understanding freestyle is just a looser knot on the lace. I know for me and possibly others that when u style your hair your nearly looking at every hair to see what one looks out of place, what one isn't right, a grey hair in a spot u don't like. I think with the thin skins you would have so say what style u want as there wouldn't be a freestyle knot. But I'm not sure with skin units. I just use lace.
02-04-2012, 11:45 AM,
I hear all this a lot about not getting freestyles to change direction and I have to say I can't understand it from my experience.

I can make my hair go in any direction.
Even with a flat-back I can brush it forward when its wet, leave it to dry and have a floppy fringe.

The only thing I can think is that I always wet the hair (with water or leave-in conditioner) brush it in the direction I want and let it dry naturally.
I brush it so its flat with my head. A comb won't do this as well as a brush does. You need to brush the roots in the right direction, not just the hair.
At this stage I look a bit like Hitler with it plastered to my head!

When its dry, I can then style it with a bit of product and 'loosen' it up and mess about with it, but it all lays in the direction I want.

Using a hair dryer can 'fix' a direction if the heat is hot (but not too hot) and pointed at the roots.
I used to do this combined with a heat defence spray, but its easier to do it naturally & better for the hair.
02-04-2012, 01:58 PM,
I have had freestyle and there is still a "rise" straight off your head, which does not act like my natural hair. It's something I can work with but it is always like this no matter WHAT I do. My own head of hair could easily lay flat and smooth or I could flip in back for some height, I can get a good look but not a clean crisp part because of the rise, when it is new it is called "pouffyness" which settles down but not that slight "rise" This is something that happens if you wear it longer (3 inches) and want to wear it in a smooth laying parted style, other than that, it usually looks GREAT!
02-06-2012, 02:15 PM,
If I style it down flat while it's wet and let it dry that way it looks great at first... but couple hours later it's back to looking like hell and sticking straight out. I'm at a loss.