Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A tape that's truly 'no shine'
01-31-2012, 03:56 PM,
A tape that's truly 'no shine'
I have tried a number of tapes that claim to have no/little shine but they still shine on my low density piece. Anyone who wears low density and tape on their system?

Thanks
01-31-2012, 04:42 PM,
RE: A tape that's truly 'no shine'
Hi,
I use the walker no shine tape on low density piece,it does the job,with very little shine,i don't know of any tape that has no shine,and i have tried quite a few.

Regards Topcat.
02-01-2012, 04:03 AM,
Hey expriest ...

I found tapes w/ LESS shine, but not zero shine (but only tried a few) ... walker no shine was noticeably better for me than blue liner, and still quite strong. This is where the tips I've read about might come in handy:

With clean hands, tap, or even smear, a finger along the lace side of the tape before applying to the base. This seems to "dull" the surface ...

I've also read about applying a bit of glue onto the tape to combat shine ... something other than Ultra Hold perhaps, as this glue can itself be shiny. I've never tried this one because it seems to negate the whole advantage of tape ... ease of application and clean up. I always figured, why not do all glue then ? But this still may be easier than a glue-only bond.

FWIW

~FB
02-01-2012, 09:42 AM,
(01-31-2012, 03:56 PM)expriest Wrote: I have tried a number of tapes that claim to have no/little shine but they still shine on my low density piece. Anyone who wears low density and tape on their system?

Thanks

You can make just about any tape low shine by adding a couple of coats of white glue to the outside surface. The first coat provides a "base" to allow you to smear the second coat that kills the shine. The great thing about it is that it doesn't seem to change the bonding strength of the tape.
02-01-2012, 10:09 AM,
I had a little shine coming through my last de/rebond. The women that styles my hair took like an old time shave lather brush and hit it a few times with some talcum powder, took the shine away and not sure why, didn't come back even after washing.
02-01-2012, 04:41 PM,
Jrob, thanks. That's my problem then, I only applied one coat of white glue to the tape, not two. I have your video, which is where I got the idea from, but I thought one would be enough and when I didn't notice a difference in the amount of shine I thought it just didn't work. I will try two coats next attachment.

Thanks
02-02-2012, 09:35 AM,
There is a little technique involved in removing the shine. The trick is to lay down that first coat of glue, then when you apply the second coat get in there and really smear the glue to give it a matte finish. It can be a little tricky since your finger will want to stick to the tape if the glue is too dry and the shine won't go away if it is too wet, but with a little practice you will find that middle ground that will kill the shine.
02-02-2012, 05:45 PM,
I think an easier way to kill shine , is to simply take the paper backing from the tape and rub it against the side that shows. On blue tape it works great.. even stretching the tape for those familiar with the st30 attachment method dulls the shine. On blue tape i can really reduce the shine a lot with either of these methods. I haven't tried it on other tapes yet but it worked great on the blue tape and a couple of others. I smear the tape backing against the tape not to tear it into pieces but lightly tear or losen up the tape so it doesn't reflect light.. give it a shot.. The problem i have with glue over tape is that it might stick the lace and cause more of a clean up hassle when you remove
02-03-2012, 06:19 AM,
Just saw this on a site today....never heard of it before..might be useful......
http://www.vistahair.co.uk/products-page...p-shinetm/
02-03-2012, 11:26 AM,
I don't know if any of you guys do this but I always put the tape on y head first, instead of the piece. Then it acts like a glue bond in the sense that you just stick the piec on top where you want it. It saves a ton of time not having to fiddle to get the tape to line up with the edge of the piece perimeter. But the best benefit is you can rub a thin coat of white glue over the tape once it's on your head and this creates a matte finish to the tape and also a longer hold time. I wouldn't use tape if I had to stick it to the piece first and try to line it all up. I use just glue in the hairline, tape around the perimeter. The best tape I have ever found (even better than super tape and less shine) is air flex mini tabs. It's called Extendabond in Europe. The tabs are the best thing since bread. So easy to use, MEGA hold time (and I suffer from terrible short hold times due to chemistry) and you can carry a few in your wallet if there was ever an emergency.