Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
avoiding hairline hair strands from getting in glue
01-31-2012, 03:54 PM,
avoiding hairline hair strands from getting in glue
Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid this? Are there some recommended hair clips/something to get hair out of the way? I haven't had much success with my clips. It seems the hair always flops fwd or finds its way into the glue upon and after attachment. I attach from the back and tack the very front part of the hairline down first and then work my way a little on one side, then a little on the other, until I get to the temples, but inevitably the hairline areas closer to the temples end up with hairs stuck across and in the hairline. Even though I don't show my hairline in this area, it's troublesome because it can cause the hair in these areas to behave strangely due to the hairs being randomly mis-angled/matted from being stuck in the glue. Hope that makes sense.

I use two thin layers of ORWG, fyi.

Thanks
01-31-2012, 04:54 PM,
RE: avoiding hairline hair strands from getting in glue
Hi,
I tape my pieces all around,but i avoid the hair getting caught up in the tape by smearing a little brylcream or moisteriser onto the hairs at the ends with my hands,while the piece is upside down pinned onto a polyestryene head.
This helps the hairs stick together at the ends,when you are applying the piece,so the hairs don't go all over the place.It then easily combs out with a little spray of water,and if it stays on the piece it will help to condition it.
Regards Topcat.
01-31-2012, 09:50 PM,
i suppose the ultimate remedy is to nail the bonding contour to a t,
or close as you can,whatever measurment you use, finger ruler, ect
just make a note of any frown lines or permanent markers on youre forhead, below the hairline.
because i know that cleaning up any excess adhesive could affect ,the great hairline bond you make.
or use a fine toothed comb through the front hair line and comb back leaving the comb in place
so it acts like a clip but with the addedd bonus of fine teeth holding the majority of hairs if not all away from the hairline.

hopr this helps
antySmile
02-01-2012, 05:07 AM,
I've used the tips posted by topcat and anty with success ... I would add a few other things that could be helpful ...

It took me a while to find the right clips, as I also had problems with large, heavy clips still flopping down over the hairline. My stylist finally gave me some small (about 2 inches long) light metal clips ... the kind women used years ago to "set" wet hair into a wavy style. These work better for me. They hold the hair tighter, enough that I have to be careful when removing them not to tear hair out ... the hinges can catch hair as well.

So if I manage to keep hair out of the glue when attaching or touching up the front, it can still be an ongoing problem if I've "overshot" the glue at the hairline. Here's where another tip I read about (Jrob, I think?) really helped. I'll use a small loop of sellotape (or "scotch" tape as we call it here in the states), wrapped around the ends of two fingers, sticky side out. I apply this right up to the edge of the base at the hairline and ... "right off like a bandaid." This works well for removing excess glue, you'll see it on the tape. I would add that a magnifying mirror, or a pair of strong reading glasses helps a lot w/ this fine detail work ... also to avoid pulling the edge of the base up w/ the tape.

Hope this helps,
~FB
02-02-2012, 01:41 PM,
Thanks for the tips. I will definitely try the conditioner/cream on the hair ends and the comb technique on my next attachment, of course being careful not to get the conditioner near the bonding area.

FB:

Could you possibly post a link to the type of clips you're talking about?

I've been using the scotch tape technique for any extra glue since I got Jrob's Fullcap video. It works great! I just need to keep the hair strands away so I can have a cleaner looking hairline.

Thanks!