Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My First Piece
01-26-2012, 12:43 PM,
My First Piece
Well I finally started to wear. The piece I'm wearing I received about 2 years. This past weekend I decided it was time. Its a stock piece that I cut in myself. I used Walker No Shine tape to attached it. I have some Ghost Bond but haven't used it yet and I understand there is a newer version out now. The first two photos was my hair with natural. The second is with Dermatch. The last two are with the piece attached. I started to wear on Sunday. It took me about 10 mins to put the tape on and about 1 minute to attached it to my head. The hardest part was shaving my hair. That took me a while as I did it a little at a time until it was to late to turn back lol. Looking at my head shaved down with a little stubble didn't look to bad, I looked better then I thought I would have looked with a shaved head haha .I removed the piece after work on Monday and reattached it. I had a fold in the lace on the left side. You couldn't see it but it was annoying me. Clean up was easy since it was only on for a day. I'm going to remove it this weekend and try on another piece that I have. The one in the photo is about 70% density I think. The other one I have that I'm going to cut in is about 60%-65%. I feel the one I'm wearing is a little to thick. But it settled a little after a few days. I do have one question. I used C-22 on the lace to clean up a little of the tape. Now I understand its not good to shampoo often. I did use some shampoo to clean were the C-22 was. Is that necessary? Or will just soaking get the C-22 off the lace? Thanks...All comments welcome.

[Image: TopNoConsealer.jpg]

Front
[Image: FrontNoConsealer.jpg]

Front with Dermatch
[Image: FrontConsealer.jpg]

With Piece attached
[Image: PeiceFront.jpg]

Side with piece attached
[Image: PeiceSide.jpg]
01-26-2012, 05:07 PM,
RE: My First Piece
I think that looks pretty damn good!
You've got the positioning just right.
It just looks like your hair has thickened.
I couldn't even tell you where the piece starts & stops!
You've done a BRILLIANT job.

AS for the C22, they do contains some oils so rinsing & an amount of shampooing is advisable because otherwise you'll find the reattachment difficult or at best less efficient.

If you ever wanted to clean the lace of glue and not shampoo, you need a glue solvent that won't smell as nice & evaporates.
Pure alcohol does this.
Lighter fluid ( as in the fluid you might use to fill a Zippo lighter) also does this.
Its not recommended to get on the skin though.
01-26-2012, 10:04 PM,
Hi Rafs... top-marks there...especially -impressed with that last shot there --flawless blend-in.
Do you mean [ in your first/second sentences] that you took deliverly of your system 2 years ago and only took to wearing it now ? If so, it`s obviously not deteriorated in the slightest while in storage....did you do anything in particular with it like placing it into a sealed polythene bag or anything like that ? Just my curiosity as usual ! Take it easy with the thinning for the moment..new systems are `lively` and need a little time to settle-down/in..... it would be easy to over-thin, early on.
I think the C-22 is probably a bit unnecessary for such a `clean` debond. The tape hasn`t gone `messy` or Gooey..... as Hersute has said, C-22 etc. can be oily and need to be cleaned [shampooed] off of the lace.... I think for the little bit of residue you describe, a simple glue-melter [alcohol] such as ``Pure`` etc., applied to a clean cloth and dabbed onto the residue should allow you to easily wipe it off then with a fiber-cloth/wipe or some bubble-wrap material.... the Citrus-based solvents are a bit too strong/not needed for such a moderate amount of relatively`clean` residue....they come into their own for removing glues in an all-over head bond situation, or where strong tapes have been on for a long time and have begun to break down ,leading to a gooey residue..... the alcohol `melters` evaporate off quickly so no need to shampoo them out. I think if you just apply lace-release evenly onto your tape/s from `above` [through the lace] should result in little if any residue on your lace...maybe you`re not using quite enough and/or not letting it time to `work` before removing the system and thus you are having residue stuck to the lace.
You`ve done a great job though....so enjoy it .
01-27-2012, 12:45 AM,
Thanks for the comments Hersute & Paul. I used 99% alcohol to release. Just about all of the tape stayed on my head. Just a little piece on the back stayed on and that came right off with a little more alcohol. I guess I was overly cautious so I used the C-22 lol. I do get little ripples in the lace here and there but nothing to major. I just press it down with my fingers when that happens. Paul to answer your question about how long I had the pieces, The one I'm wearing is about 1 1/2 old and I keep it in the bag it came in. The piece I just cut in last night is about 2 years old. That one I'm going to put on this weekend. Its the one that is a little thinner. Then I'll decide what density I like the best and order another one. Funny thing is when I look at my self in the mirror the piece always looks thicker to me, but when I see photos of myself it doesn't seem to thick and looks good. I do have a little shine in the front hairline. I'm going to try tapping the tape with my finger before applying it. Soon I want to start experimenting with glue on the hairline and see how that works out. I do have a bottle of Ghost Bond. Ive read good and bad reviews about it. I'll post up some more pics of the other piece this weekend.
01-27-2012, 01:24 AM,
Interesting that you had them that long before wearing..... I did see where Ghostbond seems to need the manufacturers specific solvent to remove it properly..... try just a little first..maybe just an inch-long strip and see what the clean-up is like. Walker no-shine is usually pretty invisible but the style you`re wearing is very exposed...get a very tiny amount of glue onto the tip of a finger and dab /spread it onto your tape at the front there--it`ll hide any shine.... I always place my tape/s directly to the scalp first,at the front, with the system clipped back out of the way. Just position your system correctly and then mark the skin there ....just draw the teeth of a comb in a line immediately outside your perimeter.....then fold your system back and apply your tape to the scalp-skin. Peel off the backing strip/paper..rub a tiny tiny amount of glue on and give it a blast of warm air with a hairdryer...that`ll make it `cure`faster..then fold your lace down as normal....should be no visible shine then.
C-22 is great for a heavy/messy clean-up but for the little bit you described, it`s only making `work` for your self....keep it simple !! Again.....well -done.