Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone used argan oil for their hair system?
01-26-2012, 08:08 AM,
Has anyone used argan oil for their hair system?
people use it for their hair.. to keep is soft shiny and for moisture. anyone used it here before with good results?
01-26-2012, 08:30 AM,
RE: Has anyone used argan oil for their hair system?
Oils can initially look good for the replacement hair, but if you wash infrequently they can attract dirt & dust and ultimately make the hair appear dull.
Oils of course also can break down adhesives and so weaken attachments.

Its a difficult one getting the benefits of an oil, but limiting the adverse side effects.
01-26-2012, 01:25 PM,
hersute.. what about maybe using it on detatchment days? like while cleaning. sort of like a way of deep conditioning. and then cleaning all the oil out before rebonding. think that maybe be a good idea?
01-26-2012, 04:54 PM,
You're welcome to try.
Who knows, you may be on to a winner.
If I were to try it, I would use it on the ends of the hairs only.
For oil to truly benefit the hair and produce more than superficial benefits, it needs to penetrate the hair shaft.
The amount of washing it would need to remove the oil would undo all the good the oil did in the first place.
It would be no better than a good conditioner.
The conditioner I recommend contains (I think) sunflower oil. I'm sure many of them do contain some sort of oils.
Brylcreem contains oils too.
Its about getting the amount right so as to not affect the bond & not weigh the hair down too much either.
My pieces become harder & harder to stay attached as time goes by, week by week.
I have VERY oily skin.
I believe that the lace soaks up my oils over time and get more difficult to remove and hence the bond gets weaker too.
Also people say don't get conditioners down to the knots, because it weakens them by making them slippery (I presume).
The same would apply to oils, so maybe soaking isn't such a good idea.
But lots of people have different ideas and find things that work for them that have never worked for me.
There are lots of aspects about wearing where 'right' & 'wrong' just doesn't apply.
Its about whatever works for you.
01-27-2012, 12:53 PM,
(01-26-2012, 08:08 AM)elvis Wrote: people use it for their hair.. to keep is soft shiny and for moisture. anyone used it here before with good results?

The salon I use has a moroccan oil product (I think that's the same thing as argan oil?), obviously for use on replacement hair. I use it occasionally, but I agree w/ Hersute's comments. It does give a nice shine and moisture, and REALLY helps w/ flyaway hair ... but I try to keep it towards the ends, try to use it sparingly and mostly as the piece begins to dry out, rather than on a new one. And yes, as has been said, it's a balancing act w/ a risk/benefit ratio to keep in mind ... healthier looking hair, but builds up and can weaken the bond.

This may be one other advantage to looped or injected skin bases ... no knots to loosen if oily products get down to the base, nor will oils go through the skin to the underside bonded area as easily as w/ lace. Cool.

And elvis, I think this type of product is best used on the ends of the hair while it's on your head, rather than as a treatment during rebond, or deep conditioning while it's off your head. All Hersute's comments about having to wash out all the benefit do apply here. Of all the products I've used, this oil is the greasiest by far as compared to any conditioner, serum etc ... it requires a good bit of soap just to get off my hands when styling w/ it. I can't help but think it would get on your hands, or the base when trying to attach a piece w/ this oil coating the hair, compromising the bond significantly.

~FB
01-28-2012, 11:11 AM,
Most vegetable oils are fine for the hair but unfortunately it isn't as simple as applying the oil in its pure form because as Hersute mentioned it can make the hair look ratty and dirty.

Argan oil is the trendy ingredient right now and we do use it in our products, but jojoba oil is chemically the closest to human sebum.