Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
quick question about maintaining
01-07-2012, 12:45 PM,
quick question about maintaining
wats up fellow wearers! Im now 2 months into wearing.. and im finally getting used to it. i think i will be able to call myself a proper wearer in another 2 more months. so far so good. I just have a questuon for now though. When i was getting ready for wearing i went all out and ordered everything there was
adjust a bond
c22
pure
lace release
protouch no sweat
scalp prep

i now think that most of these things dont really seem that important.
plus i have to buy them all from one place.

It seems all i really need is this
99% alcohol
and a solvent adhesive remover (either c22 or pure)
just these two things along with my tape n glue obviously and i should be good. am i correct in this? or am i missing something?
9% alcohol i can get anywhere. and the solvent im not really sure of. but this would make maintaining much easier instead of having to buy a million things. i know i can release with either 99%alcohol.. or even the solvent. clean up te residue with the solvent as well. then wash up and reattatch. instead of using lace release then adjust a bond then this the that!
what do u guys keep in youyr cabinet? where do you buy for convenience? and how many items do u really need to use?
ps. i wanted to say thanks to paul and anty for the reatatching tips.. rebonding has become a lot easier. it was hell the first 2 tries. i almost quit this wearing game..
01-07-2012, 01:29 PM,
RE: quick question about maintaining
I just have sunshine tape for my perimeter & hairline, then c-22 cytrusy stuff & 91% alcohol for clean up. I have Loreal Everpure shampoo & conditioner for washing my piece too. Occasionally I use Got2bglu & red tape for a short/easy attachment. Thats all I have in me stock cupboard-been going it alone (with no barber etc) for 13 months now. Regards
01-07-2012, 02:56 PM,
How important is lace release does 91% just the samething?
01-07-2012, 10:31 PM,
elvis...glad to hear things are getting easier now and your `story` will encourage guys just thinking of wearing now, to make the change as it`s not all that hard..yes it CAN be `fiddly` and time-consuming at first, but it`s like learning to ride a bicycle--you`ll be very very wobbly at first and probably have a few falls, but that`s normal...after a while you can fly along `no-hands`!! You talk now of keeping things simple...that`s the trick.....at the start, it can be very much trial-and-error in the area of bonding-products and finding which one/s or combination of them works for you and can be influenced by `local`conditions such as climate [heat/humidity etc.] Lifestyle also affects the hair itself..working outdoors in the sun etc. and exposure to chlorine in swimming pools ..all can and do affect the hair itself too.
To get back to your `routine`--- use lace-release always to free your system from the underlying adhesive material....it`s cheap and easy to use.... it mmakes the clean-up so much easier because it doesn`t actually attack the adhesive/s --it simply breaks it`s hold on the lace and frees your system from it..therefore there should usually be little if any residue on the lace itself ...most will remain on the scalp.... if you use solvents or glue-melter to free your system [rather than lace-release] there is every possibility of a `messy`clean-up as those products liquify the adhesive materials and make it `gooey`..this can and will stay on the lace making your job harder. For a simple straightforward job, always free your system from your head using lace-release, and then `attack` the scalp with your citrus Solvent...and bits of residue on the lace can be removed with glue-melter or your citrus solvent -a light spray or two should do the trick.....regularity is the key to a hassle-free clean-up, especially in very hot weather.....leaving bonds on too long can lead to problems..some holds can be quite strong one day and literally overnight degenerate into a gooey mess leaving you with a right `pain`of a clean -up.....it`s always tempting to `leave well alone` and postpone removal and cleaning.....trust me on this one....don`t do it ! A few products are `non-essential` as such ..things like adjust-a-bond and scalp-prep items .... why not try a `simpler` bond too from time to time...if the weather is nice and cool, you can use one of the `light-hold` tapes like Matt suggested above...the red roll ``Sensitac`` is SO easy to work with...it`s for very light holds/daily use..you could use `Got2b` glued all over the scalp and some Sensitac for the front hairline....just for maybe the weekend at home and see how easy it is....the tape releases SO easily and just hop in the shower and the water will free the rest of the system..simply rinse the base under the water ..no need to even shampoo it !
Shampoo/conditioner ideally should be formulated for system hair specifically ..some of them can be pricey....my philosophy is that for the `extra`I may pay on them, it`s small beer in when compared to the [possible] longevity or extended life I get out of a system before having to replace it....a few bucks `extra`on a good shampoo, pays me back in spades in terms of the price of a new system..... but if you want / need to buy cheaper, at the very least use ones which are [like Everpure] Sulfate-free.
So, always use lace-release to free your system, and then a glue Solvent such as C-22 will make short work of the scalp residues. It`s a good idea too when you`ve showered etc, to give your scalp a wipe-over with a cotton pad soaked in alcohol...kills any bacteria lurking and removes any oils remaining...makes a good foundation for your new bond. I have a 500MLs bottle of Surgical Spirit [Alcohol] bought in a pharmacy for 5$ for that purpose....lasts forever!
Handy too for cleaning tape-residues off your scissors!
Glad to hear you`re getting the `hang`of re-attaching now..did you use the anchor-points `trick`? The main thing is not to put much `pressure`on the lace and stretch it or it will bunch-up elsewhere on the perimeter.
(01-07-2012, 02:56 PM)D B COOPER Wrote: How important is lace release does 91% just the samething?

Probably just answered that there in my reply to elvis... not being flippant with you B D, but don`t worry about %s of alcohols etc... just follow the steps for de-bonding.... lace release first to free the system, then clean the scalp using glue-melter or [better again] Solvent [citrus ones] I also meant to say in my reply above, that Alcohols are `drying` ..the less you get them onto the actual hair the better...lace-release comes in pump-action bottles usually.... for a more accurate `aim` you can transfer it into a plastic syringe and literally sit the nozzle of the syringe onto the lace and gently put pressure on the plunger..that will ensure the Alcohol avoids the hairs and gets directly through the lace...yes it will get onto knots, but that can`t be helped and you`ve avoided the hair shafts....my own suspicion too is that, when you think of it, guys who do all-over bonds using glues etc., of necessity have to use a lot of alcohol to free the bond.... over time, repeated exposure to [drying] alcohols will have a negative effect on the knots at the very least and probably contributes to shedding.... I generally use only 4 short strips of tape for my bonds....when de-bonding, I go in from `under`...spray a little onto the skin immediately in front of the tape,then rub my finger `at`it ...the lace peels back very easily once it absorbs the liquid.... I know it still affects the knots, but I`m amazed at how much `punishment` the hair withstands with this continued exposure to alcohol ! Cheers for now!
01-11-2012, 11:21 PM,
hey paul can you put spaces between paragraphs...that was so hard to read man