Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ripped my lace, Can it be fixed?
01-04-2012, 10:57 AM,
Ripped my lace, Can it be fixed?
Ok I did a real stupid noob mistake and became obsessed with brushing my hair as it seemed to keep getting tangled. I bought a detangling comb and what I thought was a tangle in the back top of head was actually the lace and I pulled a bit to hard, now I feel a little rip in the lace. Does not seem to be shedding hairs but I definitely feel something not right there. I have not debonded so really can't get a great look at it. If it is only slight can it be repaired or have I royally f**cked it up?
01-04-2012, 11:10 AM,
RE: Ripped my lace, Can it be fixed?
you dont fucked it up just because you riped it apart. even you have now two pieces just glue them at the place where they should be and you will be fine.

But of course not to rip it apart is the better way. DOnt panic the worst thing is you now have 2 smaller pieces you need to aply.
01-04-2012, 11:14 AM,
If its only a small hole, you'll be fine.
Just be careful combing & brushing until you get the chance to detach and repair.

You'll need some 'see-thru' nylon thread and a needle.
A quick stitch to catch up the frays and stop it spreading further (done from underneath) will solve the problem.
For a larger hole, (rather than gather up too much of an area) you can patch it using a small piece of surplus lace that was originally at the front of the piece.

This is the sort of thread I'm referring to:
http://www.grain-sewing.com/productdetails.asp?Id=349
01-04-2012, 11:26 AM,
Thanks guys and thanks for link Hersute, I don't know why but I keep messing with my hair, I know it is probably because besides my back and sides I have not had to comb or brush my hair in a very long time and not used to it but I have become like a crack addict with this thing. I just can't leave it alone lol. If I don't notice any kind of shedding from the spot do you guys think I will be alright if I leave it until my scheduled salon visit next week? Since I went to all tape last week my bond has not been an issue, holding up real good, so would prefer not to debond myself just yet.
01-04-2012, 11:49 AM,
The reason you were able to tear the lace was because you only have it secured at the perimeter with tape.
So the area in the middle will be able to move & stretch with any brushing, combing or grooming.
You'll have to be careful to not make it worse by not playing with it so much.

If you could get a bit of glue through the hole, on to the scalp and then secure that area of lace, it would really help.

I think this is why so many guys go for a more durable French Lace with a Swiss Lace front.

I use glue all over, so the only time I've torn my lace was when it was off my head & I was brushing it whilst it dried.
I tore a huge great hole right the way across it.

I was doing a reattachment because I was flying off on a months holiday the next day!
I spent the whole holiday keeping it sewn together!
01-04-2012, 02:10 PM,
Invisible thread works wonders for patching holes. Simply sew it from one end to the other, tying it in several places along the repair. Problem solved!
01-04-2012, 03:22 PM,
Again thanks guys! I am really trying to leave it alone and praying I didn't do too much damage as so far really enjoying wearing this piece. If I don't see or notice any shedding I think I will wait on releasing bond until I go in for my scheduled visit next week. I would try the glueing tip but seeing how my try at fixing my hairline by myself last week went would prefer to wait. If ripped more then I think will try the invisible thread tip. Also these things really do blend into scalp because I had a couple family members try to look at what I am feeling and all they tell me is they see my scalp. I keep rubbing their fingers where I feel the difference and all I get back is they just see scalp so they are not much help lol. Also where I think I ripped it is on the French lace as I got front Swiss,back French Lace.
01-04-2012, 05:46 PM,
I save some of my older pieces. In the past I used to cut them up to use as patches in emergency situations. I haven't had to do that for a LONG time though.

I used invisible thread and cut a piece of of hair/lace off an older piece and sewed it in. It worked temporarily, until my sew job came loose. But, I would imaging if you knew how to sew, unlike me.. it would turn out to be durable.