Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need suggestion from a handy, mechanical person
01-04-2012, 04:11 AM,
need suggestion from a handy, mechanical person
Someone who is handy or mechanical may be able to help me out with an idea. I am looking to get away from using vacuum cutters and using the clippers exclusively for my cut ins. I haven't been able to do that entirely just yet, because I sometimes like to leave the longest hairs 2 inches long on the initial cut in. The longest guard I know of is 1.5 inches. I use the 1.5 inch clipper guard sometimes and try not to dig the guard into the lace (which usually gets me another 0.25 inches), leaving me at 1.75 inches. But I want just a little more length sometimes. I wrote to the Wahl people that they would have a good market for a 2 inch clipper guard, but I didn't get a good response. Does anyone know how I could tweak a clipper guard to get just a little more length? I figure I could tape several plastic sticks of some kind to the 1.5 inch guard. But I need something that will not damage the lace. Any ideas?
01-04-2012, 07:44 AM,
RE: need suggestion from a handy, mechanical person
Won't be answering your question here, but I am in a similar situation as you as far as length goes.

Why don't you want to do a vacuum cutter any longer? I was thinking of buying one in the next week or so myself. Interested to see why you are going away from them.
01-04-2012, 08:15 AM,
(01-04-2012, 04:11 AM)dino1 Wrote: Someone who is handy or mechanical may be able to help me out with an idea. I am looking to get away from using vacuum cutters and using the clippers exclusively for my cut ins. I haven't been able to do that entirely just yet, because I sometimes like to leave the longest hairs 2 inches long on the initial cut in. The longest guard I know of is 1.5 inches. I use the 1.5 inch clipper guard sometimes and try not to dig the guard into the lace (which usually gets me another 0.25 inches), leaving me at 1.75 inches. But I want just a little more length sometimes. I wrote to the Wahl people that they would have a good market for a 2 inch clipper guard, but I didn't get a good response. Does anyone know how I could tweak a clipper guard to get just a little more length? I figure I could tape several plastic sticks of some kind to the 1.5 inch guard. But I need something that will not damage the lace. Any ideas?

If ya have an extra guard that you don;t use.........hack saw it at the all 4 corners and super glue the 4 pieces to the 4 sides, overlapping the 1/1/2 guard by 1/2 inch,,,,,,,,,now you have a 2 inch guard !
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy a very small hack saw rather than the normal size one !
johnny/albuquerque
01-04-2012, 08:20 AM,
Hmmm..... so what you mean is you need to keep the cutter out a bit further from the head/system ? As you`re conscious of not snagging the lace with anything sharp-ish, I`m wondering if these round-tipped stirrers would be suitable for what you want.... they`re plastic so you could easily saw through the stem with a junior hacksaw to whatever length you want and tape them to the underside of the cutter.....the rounded tips wouldn`t snag the lace.
http://www.drinkstuff.com/products/produ...s+Coloured
Don`t know if that`s practical of not.
01-05-2012, 05:21 AM,
Thanks Paul and Johnny! Those were great suggestions. I tried using the teeth from a spare clipper guard to add to the length on my 1.5 inch guard. It came out a bit messy, but it should get the job done. I want to try again though. I think I am going to buy and cut up some plastic Pick up Sticks (a game played by children) and use those instead of the stirrers Paul mentioned---I would order the stirrers if I lived in the U.K. I can't find something equivalent in the U.S. without enormous shipping charges.

By the way, I am completely confused as to how the clipper guards work to achieve the lengths they say they achieve. For example, when I attach the 1.5 inch guard and then measure the distance from the end of the guard to the blade, I measure 2.5 inches. But it actually cuts to 1.5 inches. Does anyone understand how this works?
Ohio Guy,
The Robocut and Flowbee are great, but they are noisy. Also, you can only cut up to half an inch at a time---this means it is slow in cutting 6 inch hair to 2 inches.
01-05-2012, 08:32 AM,
Do you have a parts and surplus store up there close to you?

We have a place here called Skycraft that sells small hardware and electronic parts and I can almost guarantee you could figure out a solution in a place like that. I've rigged all kinds of crazy gadgets with $3 worth of odds and ends from there.
01-05-2012, 11:51 AM,
(01-05-2012, 08:32 AM)JRob Wrote: Do you have a parts and surplus store up there close to you?

We have a place here called Skycraft that sells small hardware and electronic parts and I can almost guarantee you could figure out a solution in a place like that. I've rigged all kinds of crazy gadgets with $3 worth of odds and ends from there.

Hobby Lobby also . Don't know if they are back east.
All kinds of craft merchandise....bet something can be found!
Also Lowes, Home Depot has plexiglass, sometimes broken sheets for cheap. Cut to size and glue !
Dino's a smart guy, he will figure it out !
johnny/abq