Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PICS - Style for thinning sides
12-18-2011, 07:25 AM,
PICS - Style for thinning sides
Here are some pics i had posted over at the other site awhile back, but thought some new guys over here could get some ideas from them. I do my own cut in and dye the system myself to match my hair.

I have very thinning side hair. Mine is bad and i cannot wear it long as it looks horribly thin and has become a different texture, so i fade the sides up to try to hide it. My back hair is still thick on the lower part of my head and i usually cut this area 1 guard shorter then the side to give the appearance that it is as thin and short as my sides.

Here is my response i posted over there as well....

"I dont color my own hair, just the system. I just use the cheap box brands. Its either between Clairol Nice and Easy or Revlon Color Silk, depends on which one has my color in.

I cut the system and my own hair myself. For the system I use thinning shears the whole time, except for the front hairline. But for the rest of it with the thinning shears - i lay it down base up and go around it on the ground trimming length of off it until its about 1 1/2 inches long off the lace and thinned out. Then i tack it to a styro head and turn it upside down to let the hair hang and i trim it down to match the sides. On the front i use regular scissors, just because the thinning shears makes it look too "wispy", so i use angled-blunt cuts. I also leave a little it more length in the temple area to cover the temple. I usually add about 3/4 inch in these areas to give the appearance of thicker temples. Also, sometimes if the edge isnt thinned out enough there is a "line" that we see as a system. A tip i use is when i have the system on the ground (base up) i will take an edge of the lace and "roll" it to the center to get the the next layer of hair to thin the tips on that part. This will thin the "line" out around the system without thinning out the base of it or your edge of the system too much.

For my own hair, i cut the longest part with a #7, then i take a #3 and start to fade up. Just take your time. I press against my head for about an inch or two then i slowly pull the clippers away for the rest of the distance. I then use a #2 on the back to make it look as thin as my sides, but i dont cut the sides with the #2 - just the back. Normally i go higher then whats in this picture. If you need to make the blend better (if you screwed up in a spot) i found it easier to fix an area if you put a #1 guard on there and touch up the spot. Dont touch your scalp with the clippers, but just the hair. It seems easier with a small guard to fine tune it. And thats it. It takes me about 20 minutes to cut my own hair and about 30 min on a new system."
2 more

Attached Files Image(s)

12-18-2011, 07:40 AM,
RE: PICS - Style for thinning sides
awesome flawles victory

I like long hair but you nailed the style. I dont see any seam. The only little thing which i can see is in the huge close-up view. The hair texture is a bit different, but who in the world is able to see such thing in reallife.

Very very good job
12-18-2011, 07:54 AM,
Yeah that's a real good job! Similar to the way I go bout things too. As the guy above said, the textures slightly different but no general member of the public would realize! I was behind a guy at the post office the other day, he had a definite visible line where the piece ended & his real hair started, hes real hair had grey in it-the piece didn't. If I wasn't a hair wearer I certainly wouldn't be scrutinizing mens hair so much lol. I wished I could'a said something constructive to help him...but obviously didn't. Regards
12-18-2011, 09:16 AM,
Yeah, i have yet to find a hair type that matches my own texture....Actually it really only starts to match my own hair texture when the system gets real worn out and starting to fray. My own hair is coarse and once my system starts to break down then it matches great....but then it only lasts a short time after, lol.
12-18-2011, 10:11 AM,
I remember seeing your pics on the other site when i was first getting into this and being blown away how good this looks. For newbie´s these would be great photos to view and encourage people suffering from hairloss to take this path rather than spending thousands on transplants..
12-18-2011, 10:33 AM,
sweet, u are talking about something I been mentioning for awhile.. You basically turned your thinning sides into a style that looks like a fade.. That is how I do it too or at least try to do. have it short at the bottom and than get longer as you go up.

I like how you pulled this off.. I been experimenting.. I sometimes use a 5 or six on my own hair than i go down to a 1 at the very bottom.. sometimes it comes out nice. .sometimes ehh.. Maybe ill try your method next.. How do you get an even blend going from a 7 to a 3,, i know u pull away but i think if i did that id get uneven areas or go up to high or too low each time i go across. how do u maintain such a constant angle and how far u go up all the way around your head?
12-18-2011, 02:46 PM,
(12-18-2011, 10:33 AM)Xeon005 Wrote: sweet, u are talking about something I been mentioning for awhile.. You basically turned your thinning sides into a style that looks like a fade.. That is how I do it too or at least try to do. have it short at the bottom and than get longer as you go up.

I like how you pulled this off.. I been experimenting.. I sometimes use a 5 or six on my own hair than i go down to a 1 at the very bottom.. sometimes it comes out nice. .sometimes ehh.. Maybe ill try your method next.. How do you get an even blend going from a 7 to a 3,, i know u pull away but i think if i did that id get uneven areas or go up to high or too low each time i go across. how do u maintain such a constant angle and how far u go up all the way around your head?

Its hit or miss really Xeon. This cut was one of my better ones. But as you know, if you go a bit to high on one inch of it, you have to try to blend that screw up into the rest of the unit which keeps making it shorter and shorter and it can become a snowball effect REAL fast.

But i dont go through guards from a #2 up to #7. I usually just cut it all with a #7 to make it the longest. Then i take a #2 and use it to start at the bottom and s-l-o-w-l-y go up and out. Its really about getting a feel for it. It works best after a shower. If you hair is dirty and oily, it will clump together and screw the fade up. Make sure its clean as a whistle when you start. To me, using a #2 guard and pulling away from the hair makes it easier for me to see how long im cutting the hair at. Sometime i use a #1 and use it the whole time and just slowly fade up with it and never change guard. If you try to use a #4 or #5 guard in the middle its hard to tell where it starts to cut your hair and hard to tell where to pull away because the guard hides the hair and tricks you.

And actually i think at the very top of my natural hair it might be a bit longer than a #7. My trick is start at the bottom with a 7 come up then pull it out a little bit then angle it back in slightly and up. that way it keeps longer hair at the top of your natural hair to blend into the longer hair on the system and gives a better fade look. I know it sounds complicated, but it really is easy when you see me do it...i might do a video one day.
And also in my defense about the texture not matching - this is a pic with no product in it. I usually use spray gel and hairspray which makes it look perfect. no way to tell the textures apart after product is added.
12-18-2011, 06:57 PM,
You did a great job... to the eagle-eyes here, especially with such sharp-focus close-up shots, the slightest imperfection /texture-difference will be spotted but, in a normal every-day casual situation, with the use of a little product as you say, not an eyelid would be batted twice..... I`ve seen worse full heads of growing hair ! I guess eventually if the sides and back carry on thinning, you`ll reach fullcap territory like myself and other have done, but for now, you`re doing a marvellous job. I wonder would something like a flowbee make your job easier especially the `fade` / stepping-up from the bottom to the longer bits at the top ? http://www.flowbee.com/info_testimonials.htm
Great pics and well-done.
12-19-2011, 05:16 AM,
That's a BEAUTIFUL job! I wish I could get cuts like that! Thanks for the tips.
12-20-2011, 09:21 AM,
This is a fine example of rolling with the punches when dealing with issues such as thinning sides.

It's all an illusion fellas. The cut, the style, highlights, styling product, gray hair, etc. can go a long way toward enhancing the illusion.

Great job!