Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A couple noob questions
12-17-2011, 11:26 AM,
A couple noob questions
Okay, I got my first piece recently. I went with a stock unit because I want to practice wearing before getting more serious with a custom one.

I haven't done anything to the piece out of fear I'm going to screw something up. Just wondering as couple things:

1. Anything special I should know about cutting the lace? I'm making a partial.

2. Knot sealer. Should I apply this first thing? Do I bleach the knots first? Does the order matter?

Thanks!
12-17-2011, 08:49 PM,
RE: A couple noob questions
Just make sure to use a good sharp scissors..preferably new... part the hair either side of the `cut`line so as to avoid cutting across the hairs i.e. just keep the hairs out of the path of the blades....you could also pin the system to a styrofoam head and that will hold it and `free up`your hands so you can easily part the hair and cut across the lace using a hobby-knife such as one like this http://www.draftingsteals.com/xacbranknif.html
If you intend bleaching knots [ you shouldn`t really need to at the front especially as the factory does them] you`d have to do it before sealing knots with knot -sealer, which is an acrylic coating....that would prevent your bleaching solution from getting at the knots...so don`t put the cart before the horse ! Hope it goes fine /works out like you want it. Paul.
12-18-2011, 02:08 AM,
Personally, I would recommend a craft knife or scalpel to cut the lace.
If its sharp and you do it from the underneath, you don't cut any of the hairs, just the lace.
12-20-2011, 09:15 AM,
(12-18-2011, 02:08 AM)Hersute Wrote: Personally, I would recommend a craft knife or scalpel to cut the lace.
If its sharp and you do it from the underneath, you don't cut any of the hairs, just the lace.

I always use scissors to cut the perimeter of the lace where there is hairline on only one side, but when I cut lace that has hair tied all around I ALWAYS use a sharp hobby knife. If you hold the unit correctly (making sure there is no tension on the hair) you can use the very tip of the knife to glide right through the base without cutting any of the hairs.