Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First ever System arrived today, Need Help Please!
12-13-2011, 10:36 AM,
First ever System arrived today, Need Help Please!
Guys, I received my first system today and need some advice. First off the piece is a lot darker than my hair is, so can the piece be dyed to something closer to my color? Also the wave is kinda curly, does this go away? I ordered the piece slightly longer so when I go for my cut in I am hoping she can just cut some curl out. I tried it on, of course no bonding or anything and I look like one of the Beatles when they first hit America, so hope it looks more natural when I get it cut in because if not I would prefer to keep going with wearing a baseball cap. So if you guys can help with these questions I would much appreciate. I'm kinda bummed out with the piece right now but hoping you guys had some same issues when you first received yours and after cut in we're happy. Thanks!

1) Can I dye the piece?
2) Does curl ease with either washing or product?
3) Should I use a knot sealer before my cut in?
4) Should I wash before cut in?
5) How do you tell if knots were bleached?
12-13-2011, 10:51 AM,
RE: First ever System arrived today, Need Help Please!
(12-13-2011, 10:36 AM)EricInNY Wrote: Guys, I received my first system today and need some advice. First off the piece is a lot darker than my hair is, so can the piece be dyed to something closer to my color? Also the wave is kinda curly, does this go away? I ordered the piece slightly longer so when I go for my cut in I am hoping she can just cut some curl out. I tried it on, of course no bonding or anything and I look like one of the Beatles when they first hit America, so hope it looks more natural when I get it cut in because if not I would prefer to keep going with wearing a baseball cap. So if you guys can help with these questions I would much appreciate. I'm kinda bummed out with the piece right now but hoping you guys had some same issues when you first received yours and after cut in we're happy. Thanks!

1) Can I dye the piece?
2) Does curl ease with either washing or product?
3) Should I use a knot sealer before my cut in?
4) Should I wash before cut in?
5) How do you tell if knots were bleached?

The body wave has been a lot curlier than I remember recently. I tend to wear mine a little bit longer and it's made styling a bit of a challenge. I was told it would wash out, but that's not really the case. You can get it under control though with products.

Most would recommend that you wash the piece before a cut-in. The stylist I go to does this anyways so I usually don't bother. Yes, use a knot sealer before your first attachment.

I've always had issues with bleached knots. The only pieces that ever came back from the factory with truly invisible knots were my old Farrell systems. But they also cost as much as a used car. There are different methods for bleaching the knots on your own and someone just started a new thread about getting blonde hair in the front to hide the knots and then dying it to match the rest of the piece. That sounds like a really great strategy. I'll be honest - I have dark hair and visible knots have almost always been an issue for me.

But the main thing is do NOT judge a piece before a cut-in. It's a night and day difference. I promise. Just throwing it on your head looks nothing like what it's going to after a stylist has their way with it. Don't worry.
12-13-2011, 10:55 AM,
Oh wow! Your system came! That's excellent! From what I've read EVERYONE has the shocked/dissapointed look when they first take the system out of the box. I've heard it needs a wash or two toward the beginning of getting it and that helps lighten it. How much darker is it? Otherwise I would talk to a stylist before trying to color it yourself. Lightening is usually harder than darkening.
I fully expect pics after the cut in!!!
12-13-2011, 11:08 AM,
Relax. The only concern I`d have is if the colour is way `off`... new systems always look `stark`in many ways -- curl, density and `bounce`..this all settles after a shampoo or two....even after one initial wash, a lot of `excess`colour will come off the hair... if you sent a hair sample for colour-matching, it should be fairly correct and you`ll see this better after an initial wash or two. All systems look totally different to what you have in your mind when you order it.... I have posted on this point before.... there can be quite a shock when you see it for the first time. I always sit the thing on a head-form for a week or so before a cut in and mist it daily with water and brush the hair gently....helps it to `relax`. Knot sealer is only applied after about 10 -14 days or so [EXTREMELY sparingly] There`s no hard and fast rule on it--I`ve always preferred to leave the system `settle in`before applying it, but I have applied it immediately in the past--it didn`t have any adverse effects which were obvious to me..... I`d `relax` on that point anyway..apply it when you feel like it. All systems have bleached knots especially at the front..some wearers express their unhappiness with the level of factory bleaching and prefer `extra`bleaching ....I think the factory goes`easy`with it for fear of weakening the hair too much....excessive bleaching WILL shorten the life-span of a system due to shedding. .... if the knots are not obvious to you, well then, don`t pay any more attention to it/them...there`s no point in `making work`for yourself initially. Yes, the system can be coloured but you should not have to do it, as the system hair, as supplied ,should not be too far `out`.... it`s completely new and has also been sprayed with a silicone to give it shine...after a bit of washing and misting/brushing it will lose that `stark`look and should be good to go...... I think you are getting it cut-in by Diddi? Ask her opinion on it ....she`ll tell you there and then when she sees it, if it`ll `work`..... I`d be surprised if the specs [colour] are so far out as to be unusable ...hope that helps.
12-13-2011, 11:29 AM,
Paul, yes Didi is doing my cut in. I did not send in a sample as she had a bunch of hair strand samples she matched up to my hair. I ordered Color - 6 F, just for the front and temples - mix with the  main color  10% 12 R. It just seems to look like one color to me and just a bit darker than my hair especially when I just threw it on my head, does not match back and sides. The knots don't look bad but I have read that people have re bleached them. I will probably hold off on that till she sees it. I will need to go buy one of those head hair holders and will try your suggestions and will look through old threads for how to seal the knots. So from what you say you think I should wait a few weeks before I go for a cut in? Thanks for your help.

Gern- thanks for your input, I'm glad curl can be managed. It does seem a little curlier than I thought it would be but after cut in I'm hoping to be happy with it.

Hair Scare- yours should be coming soon! And yes will post pics when I get cut in, hope to see yours as well.
12-13-2011, 11:49 AM,
Make sure that you hold off on the knot sealer until you decide if you are going to want to bleach the knots again or not.. I remember when I recieved my first system and looked at it- I was like, holy crap, no way! but its not going to look like that at all after your cut in, totally different beast, congrats on jumping in!
12-13-2011, 12:27 PM,
Eric.... I wouln`t wait more than a few days... in fact if you have time I`d simply swing by to ask Didi to cast an eye over it....she`ll know instantly if there are any issues and can advise you.... she will most likely be able to `tweak`any colour-matching issues for you ....you can make the appointment with her for your cut-in and in the meantime, take it home and `treat`it as suggested [wash,brush, misting etc] There`s no need to wait weeks at all....I usually just wait a few days / a week max. before getting it cut-in. You`re going to a very experienced stylist so give her a bell and chat to her about it.... I`m sure she`ll tell you to pop on over with it .... that will be worth far more to you than us `speculating`on here when we can`t actually see it.... why not post us a few pics by the way? I`m just trying to visualise this colour-difference thing .....
12-13-2011, 12:28 PM,
If I posted a pic of what the knots looked like to get your opinions would I take the pic through the hair or turn it over and take the underside?
12-13-2011, 12:53 PM,
I`m more concerned with that colour-match... a pic of your side hair and the system hair taken in good natural light would be interesting.... it`s hard to really see the knots unless you get excellent focus on the camera...you`d have to part the hair and take the pic down through the hair --I think you`re stressing over knots unnecessarily --- that`s one of the problems with forums..... I`m not saying that knots /visibility from too-lightly bleached is not an issue for some guys, but newbies can get kind of bogged down in all kinds of issues from reading so many posts/threads and kind of imagine that their first system will have all kinds of problems...again I`m NOT being dismissive of anyone or being patronising in the slightest, and I know that issues can and do arise ..in your case Eric, I`d be far more concerned initially with the colour-match thing if it`s big.... the knots [if they were actually `present`] can be dealt with in time [ but BEFORE the application of knot-sealer as this will `seal`/coat the knots in acrylic which the bleach will not penetrate should you wish to use it] Just deal with one thing at a time.... if the fit is good [again no reason why it would be `off] and your density/ventilation is good, they are the main things.... a nice `style` ...the other things can be tweaked if needs be......
12-13-2011, 01:49 PM,
If the color is really too dark, that is difficult to correct, but not impossible. An experienced stylist can treat it and lighten it up a bit...