Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scared/Embarrassed about a cut-in
12-03-2011, 07:57 AM,
Scared/Embarrassed about a cut-in
First, I am in Ohio (obviously), but Central Ohio at that. There doesn't seem to be any in the area on Toplace's list of preferred cut-in people.

So now I am looking. However, how on earth do I know if they are good or not? This is my first cut-in, so obviously a good one is a must so my confidence isn't shattered.

Also, do you find on average a male does a better job than a female? Or doesn't matter? I think on one hand, a woman knows what looks good on a guy and makes them attractive, while a guy just would know about guys in general. Both have pluses and minuses.

P.S. - On a related note, can someone who has ordered through Deb design a starter kit for a first timer? I am in my mid-20s, VERY ACTIVE, going to be in the heat a decent amount of time come the summer and I have medium brown hair withe some curl. Just like the essentials if you could.

Thanks
12-03-2011, 12:34 PM,
RE: Scared/Embarrassed about a cut-in
You've got to find what works for you tbh, some styles will look great, others not so much. Its all trial and error. Just take a systematic approach to it.

Its a good idea to get some thinning shears and razor comb, as even when the stylist has cut it in. Its nice to be able to tweak it, also a razor comb is good for when your own back hair gets long and you can't get to a stylist straight away.

Blue liner is the best for active stuff. You absolutely need some bubble wrap, its the only thing that takes all the blue liner off the piece. I cut a sheet of bubble wrap, wrap it around a magazine...and slide the piece down it.

You could spray lace release onto your head to remove, or just peel the piece off. I've been peeling the piece off my head without any lace release for 4 months now, and it hasnt damaged the piece that much. I found the lace release accelerated the fading process and loosened some of the knots. Not that much, I've found my way easier, but I still rotate sometimes.

Back to natural is good to stop the fading also. You could ask Debbie to cut it for you, and then tweak it when you get it.
12-03-2011, 09:33 PM,
There are a myriad of supplies/suppliers out there. It can be a bit of a mine-field for newbies, but there`s no need to get confused. Don`t `stress` over tecchie. terms like `Isopropyl` [first time I saw that used, I was like, `W.T.F`? ?] All you need is primarily , Lace-release [get at least 2 bottles as you`ll be using it frequently] Then, a glue-melter [basically a different `grade`of alcohol ] and/ or a glue-solvent, to actually break down the residues of tape/glues on your scalp...the citrus-based solvents do an excellent job...alcohol products can be hard work with some stubborn glues/tapes and merely make the stuff go tacky --it can be obstinate to remove. `De-solv-it` http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solv-Strength-De...020&sr=8-2 so you can see what it looks like. Another good one http://www.amazon.com/Hair-Style-21-C-22...B001E2RGY6
Have a look at the various supplier-sites, as they all give little `resumès` of the various tapes and glues and expected bond-durations and `strengths` of each. Get a bottle of knot-sealer..it`s expensive but a small bottle is enough to treat at least 6 systems if not more..so it will `last`.... it`s an acrylic which forms a `locking`layer when applied to the underside of your lace and prevents knot from becoming undone / hair shedding.
It`s a matter of having a selection of tapes --they aren`t too dear really, but glues can be pricey ..I`d advise anyone to , ok, maybe get a tub of a strong glue like maybe Ultrahold or Ghostbond but also have maybe 2 other smaller / `weaker` [cheaper] ones to hand just in case you find your body is not tolerating the `main`one..least you have a `fall-back` product to hand. Many people find those two glues not so good for them ...some guys find `oil resistant white glue` [Google it] works fine , particularly for an oily scalp....it`s trial and error with glues for some guys...others just find no bothers from the word go... I think the water-based white glues are `cleaner`/less of a hassle when de-bonding, than acrylic glues, and are also easier to apply...acrylic ones can be `messy`. Finally get a system-friendly shampoo and conditioner which is/are sulfate-free, and specifically for hair systems. I like `Remysoft` shampoo and conditioner, [ http://www.remysofthair.com/ ] but again, there are many available --avoid the `normal`ones as they usually ruin a system in no time--best wishes with whatever you chose anyway. . Paul.
12-04-2011, 05:14 PM,
I would recommend a straight male for my professional cut-in as a female will often have more of a tendency to reflect her felinity in her work. I want my finished hair design to look masculine.

For an example a expert can often tell if a painting or a sculpture was the work of a woman or a man by the reflection of their gender traits in their work.