Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
frontal touchups on thin skin?
11-28-2011, 10:25 PM,
frontal touchups on thin skin?
Hey ...

I've recently started wearing the newer "ultra" thin skin, and I'm having some challenges w/ frontal touchups. I've switched to white glues w/ these units as well (from Ultra Hold w/ lace).

I'm noticing more dirt accumulating at the front edge, and it sticks to the underside of the edge of the skin as well, as it's lifted a bit. I can clean my scalp around any lift here w/ alcohol as usual, but cleaning the dust/dirt off the skin is less successful, and it is visible through the skin after gluing it back down, making the edge more detectable. Can one do a mini mirror or magazine slide w/ thin skin ?... like some guys do w/ their lace pieces still attached, but just redoing the front.

I'm also having a hard time keeping the lifted edge up and off the scalp long enough for the white glues to dry clear ... the skin ends up down into the glue while it's still wet, and it stays white under the front edge there for 12 hours or so. I've taken to touching up the front w/ a clear glue, even w/ white glue as the original attachment.

Any advice or tips appreciated ...

FB
11-28-2011, 10:52 PM,
RE: frontal touchups on thin skin?
Hi furball.... I don`t wear those systems as you know.... I`m wondering could you clip the front bit back out of your way [ fold the front bit back] while you apply glue to your skin [real skin] by using a clothes-peg to clip the front hair onto the hair behind it ? or you could get a large elastic[ rubber] band and anchor it under your chin, and up onto the hair of the folded-back bit...obviously not onto the poly as you need to clean that too... I guess you could use a cotton bud to dab glue-melter or better yet, glue-remover [citrus based ones] onto the dirty bit..... peel off the `excess` cotton from the q-tip or it can become stuck into the softened glue..... I apply my glue [when I use glue] with a q-tip but I first un-wrap the `loose` cotton material from it.....the underlying cotton is glued to the stem and will not come loose and `foul` your adhesive....... try that and see how you get on..
11-29-2011, 11:41 AM,
(11-28-2011, 10:52 PM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: Hi furball.... I don`t wear those systems as you know.... I`m wondering could you clip the front bit back out of your way [ fold the front bit back] while you apply glue to your skin [real skin] by using a clothes-peg to clip the front hair onto the hair behind it ? or you could get a large elastic[ rubber] band and anchor it under your chin, and up onto the hair of the folded-back bit...obviously not onto the poly as you need to clean that too... I guess you could use a cotton bud to dab glue-melter or better yet, glue-remover [citrus based ones] onto the dirty bit..... peel off the `excess` cotton from the q-tip or it can become stuck into the softened glue..... I apply my glue [when I use glue] with a q-tip but I first un-wrap the `loose` cotton material from it.....the underlying cotton is glued to the stem and will not come loose and `foul` your adhesive....... try that and see how you get on..

Hey Paul,

Yeah, I've tried a variety of clips to keep that front edge up ... but it's usually such a small bit of edge - less than a cm, that any clipped hair "slips" through and the edge falls down into the wet glue too quickly. I'm going to keep trying other kinds of clips.

But that elastic band suggestion is a good one ... never thought of that, and it seems that just might do the trick.

And you may be right that I'd have to use solvent to get the dirt and glue off the thin skin, rather than just alcohol. I've been worried about residual solvent left on the thin skin, making it difficult to get a solid reattachment. I think I may also try to use those microfiber cloths that Hersute suggests, if I can find them ... just don't have experience yet with how fragile thin skin is vs. lace in this situation.

Lastly, I'd like to take this opportunity to add my voice to the chorus of "thank you's" ... for myself and many other silent readers here ... for your providing the benefit of all your experience, your supportive and compassionate attitude, and generosity of spirit. May it come back to you tenfold.

FB
11-29-2011, 09:04 PM,
Hi Furball...firstly thank you so much for the kind words..it genuinely means a lot... life is short--so we should do as much good as we can in the time we have, and yes, you are SO right... I believe in Karma and have seen it in so many ways..... so if you guys don`t mind my `ramblings` and can pick up a few ideas etc. well then I`m happy....and again I`ll have to say ..I`m no expert and I can be limited in certain areas which is why I`d love other experienced wearers to chip-in too.....so newbies can get a cross-section of experiences and views....don`t take everything I say on here as written in stone---I`m just drawing off my own experiences of both base materials I`ve worn and a limited number of bonding-products. Loads of other wearers can bring so much to here too.....also I love hearing the initial reports and see pics of guys who`ve just taken the plunge and their stories on how it went.how they felt.....it`s nice to have had an input into it, so, many thanks for your kindness.
I understand your concern about the possibility of a film of solvent being on the poly[skin] and possibly interfering with your new glue....try rolling a section of kitchen towel into a ball and running it along the newly -cleaned edge..that should help absorb any `residue` and then give it a wipe across with a Q-tip soaked in alcohol..the alcohol should help give it that `final`clean and it will evaporate off quickly too...try that and see if it works. Paul.