Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
thin skin with lace front
11-27-2011, 08:37 PM,
thin skin with lace front
Would it be reasonable to have a one inch (total width) partial made of thin skin with a strip of swiss lace on the front?
11-28-2011, 10:09 AM,
RE: thin skin with lace front
Anyone? What I'm wondering is if the transition zone will look natural?
11-28-2011, 10:53 AM,
I think it would be `fiddly`and of no real advantage --- just wondering why you`d want a combination on such a narrow piece? I`d just go lace or skin if it was me--- do you think a stock density [medium] would look ok on you providing the colour was a match for your growing hair ? The factory charges the same now for partials as for a topper [custom-made] ..so if you thought a stock would do you, it would be possible to cut more than one partial form one...save you time and money...some guys have reported good results by doing it. Have a think about it !
11-28-2011, 11:21 AM,
(11-28-2011, 10:53 AM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: I think it would be `fiddly`and of no real advantage --- just wondering why you`d want a combination on such a narrow piece?
Same reason as on a full size piece. Longevity and ease of attachment combined with undetectable hairline!

(11-28-2011, 10:53 AM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: I`d just go lace or skin if it was me--- do you think a stock density [medium] would look ok on you providing the colour was a match for your growing hair ? The factory charges the same now for partials as for a topper [custom-made] ..so if you thought a stock would do you, it would be possible to cut more than one partial form one...save you time and money...some guys have reported good results by doing it. Have a think about it !
Sure, but how many partials could I really get out of it? My concern would be the natural changes in density and ventilation as one moves further back on the piece would cause unrealism from the initial partial cut from the very front. The first partial would look correct because it would come from the appropriate (hairline) sector on the piece. The second partial would appear different, and the partials after that even more so. Then trying to cut from the back, the contour, ventilation, density would all be completely off, no?
11-28-2011, 11:39 AM,
Hmmm.....longevity...well even with a full-size topper with the 2 materials combined, the lace would probably `fail`before the skin so it will render it useless anyway as [obviously] if the lace frays etc. you can`t just wear the skin part.... I`d go with one or the other if it were my choice......a skin partial will be more robust than lace..... I can`t actually recall anyone using one..most have just gone for lace, but John could give you more statistics if you contact him.
I totally agree with your observations on the 2 partials cut/trimmed from a stock.....the hair would be thicker on the second one as the first partials would have been `graduated`in terms of density...you could always thin it a bit using `Nair` or `Veet` dabbed onto the knots randomly, thus putting in your own `graduation `..the contour should be pretty much ok on such a narrow strip though.... you`d be cutting across from side to side with a blade.... I`d like to hear other guys`s views on it especially from some who`ve done it....there are a few posts down along form guys who`ve done it...one fairly recent one too..... certainly a stock witll be able to provide you with at the very least 1 `good`partial, provided the colour is compatible with your own hair...you may get at least one if not 2 more albeit with a bit of thinning -out to do....but you`ll have it within a week for about 200$ --is it worth taking a punt on it ? You can make a template..then pin your system to it and trim across with a blade [a stanley or a hobby-knife [whilst keeping the hairs parted in a `line`] Would be great if that worked for you --be a lot faster than waiting weeks for a custom....let me know what you decide....regards for a while .... Paul.
11-28-2011, 05:11 PM,
Lace seems fairly easy due to the accessibility of the knots, but how does one remove density on a skin system? How gradual or steep (straight hairline vs. V-shape) is the recession on stock units?

Are returns allowed on stock units?
11-28-2011, 07:55 PM,
Hi again stealth....slight `crossed-wires`..... when referred to thinning I was referring to an all-lace system.....it`s not possible to thin hair on a skin system apart from using a thinning scissors...with lace you can dab on hair-removal cream to the knots and the whole hair will come out. You can return a stock in the same condition as you got it in [not worn/styled] as follows [copied/pasted from the F.A.Q. section]

Q: What is your guarantee?
A: Customer Satisfaction Policy for Custom and Inventory Hair Pieces

Toplace will remake or refund any custom system that is not made to your original specifications. Toplace will fully refund the cost of a stock unit if it doesn't meet the customer's needs. The customer will have 30 days upon receipt of the unit to return the unit to Toplace. The unit must be returned to us in the same condition in which it was received by the customer. It cannot be cut-in, washed or worn. The client is responsible for mailing the unit back and will apply insurance or any other tracking method desired.
In my experience the graduation is `soft` - - gives a `normal`look.
11-28-2011, 08:14 PM,
Okay, cheers again Paul for all the great help!!!
11-28-2011, 09:35 PM,
Just to clarify one point there too--- when I speak of `graduation` that is the density of the hair at the very front ..it gets a bit denser as you go back from the front......non-graduated is much more like a `wall`of hair..younger guys can get away with it ...Mr Burns, who is the guy you see on the homepage, is wearing a non-graduated system.
I think you were `concerned` about the shape of the front there...that is the `contour` [some of these terms can be confusing for many newbies, as are abbreviations which guys use,such as `ORWG`....which is `Oil Resistant White Glue` ..newbies haven`t a clue what such abbreviations refer-to] You can buy tape `contours ` which are boomerang-shaped tapes which fit to the shape of the front of your system...some guys buy their supplies before their system..they include contours, and then trim their template at the front to `fit`the contour---they come in various `V`shapes --some `sharper`than others ] Curvature refers to the actual curve/shape of a persons skull, which varies from person to person and why in my experience, for a topper or Fullcap, making your template and going `custom-made`is the best way to get a snug fit......it`s not so critical in the case of a partial. A good tip for anyone attempting to trim/cut a partial from a lace system, is to get one of those polystyrene head forms [like you see on mannequins in shop windows--you can buy them on -line] and you can literally pin your stock to it using tailors`pins, then pin your template on/over it at the front area, then trim/cut along the back-edge of the template, giving you a partial to the required width etc. Hope that helps and maybe gives a few ideas to anyone thinking of going the partial route. If you have a `tricky` hair colour, stock systems may not be suitable for you, but if it`s only marginally `off`, you can easily colour it or disguise the difference with some styling product. THe density on them is always `medium`[about 65%] Cheers now. Paul.