Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very athletic people - what do you do?
08-26-2009, 04:48 PM,
Very athletic people - what do you do?
I participate in Mixed Martial Arts - 3 times a week. My head is rubbing against the mats and against other dudes. I'm assuming this would be very detrimental to a hair piece - causing it to shed and maybe even fall off.
08-26-2009, 06:02 PM,
Re: Very athletic people - what do you do?
Malfred, that piece you wore in the past which very embarrassingly blew off at the beach sported old technology; the base was very thick.

What's more, if I recall correctly, you were using an inferior tape purchased from Sally's beauty supply.
08-29-2009, 08:33 AM,
I am very active, work out 5-6 days a week and hit the steamroom afterwards for 15 minutes or so.

I sweat A LOT.

I get a week solid with using supertape around the perimeter and walker no-shine for the hairline.

I would highly advise against any glue if you are doing full contact- I never trusted glues much in that scenario because they brak down and get gooey, which can lead to the system pulling or glue bleed through.

My hairline has never looked better, and I was always a glue man, I used UH, Tight Grip, Walker's, and pretty much all the other's.
08-29-2009, 04:12 PM,
I agree completely with using tape. I was a glue guy for a long time, but then after it heats up, the bond can release, or slide.

Tape stays in place and is ultra strong!

I had my piece taped with Proflex tape a few years ago and someone actually pulled my hair REALLY HARD, honestly, to the point that it would have been pulled off with glue.... and it didn't budge!
08-31-2009, 10:52 AM,
Yes, tape, tape, tape.

I agree, and if you ever need a bond that it will take scalping you b4 the piece comes off, then blue tape is for you.

Its the strongest tape/glue I ever used, it can be messy to clean up after more than a week, but the hold is like no other.

Sam
09-01-2009, 06:17 PM,
malfred,

using tape both st-30 and walker no shine gave me an incredibly strong bond.. To test it I actually grabbed the hair and gave it a really strong tug. It wasn’t going anywhere.. and I believe it wouldn’t even be pulled off in a fight.. but I also believe you are right in the amount of extra abuse your piece is going to get on the mat. Anyone who has done mat work knows how much friction occurs to your head. Bouncing and grinding on the mat is going to be a lot of abuse on the piece.. but its going to depend on how full out you’re going to be on the mat as opposed to training techniques
09-03-2009, 12:10 AM,
Quick question to all you guys that use tape all round the system! When I used ST-30 I found that it held water and expanded thus causing a lift between lace and scalp which I would assume dosnt look too realistic at the hairline! are a tapes the same? Do they all get water logged and cause this lift?

Thanks
09-03-2009, 02:23 PM,
i was using a walker no shine contured piece on the front and then taping st-30 from where the walker ended to the remaining sfs to the begining of the french lace on a TL-500. My hair length is about 6 inches and 65-70% density. I was out in the desert in 115 degree heat the st-30 bubbled like you were saying yours did, but the walker didn't. Now I wasn't swimming in the thing.. (but close to it..lol) but it didn't bubble up and expand like the st-30 did.. at least not on that occassion
09-12-2009, 02:46 AM,
Malfred

1. look up the "stress test, Walkers" threads
2. Prior to attaching, makes sure you clean your head with alcohol & then apply liquid bandage to the contact areas of the tape & let dry prior to attachment
3. I do perimeter only, but you'd want to do a strip down the middle as well
4. In BJJ, you'll post & pivot off your forehead in working on top of someone's full guard, so no worries. It's the choke escapes that will be problematic. THere's where it's critical to have a piece cut to flesh only coverage with no overhang. You can get away with that otherwise, but here its an edge to catch on the friction from a Gi
5. Love the "8 Limb" art & drop 'em like a bad habit before it hits the mat! :lol:
09-13-2009, 01:50 AM,
7, yeah st was like a sponge.
Supertape is not, no absorbing whatsoever.