Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Day 1 results...
11-26-2011, 09:47 PM,
RE: Day 1 results...
Hi 24hours.... I used to wear all-poly...what way the hairs were put into the material never really `bothered`me ... it`s only when I decided to go the `DIY` route that the technicalities of systems /material/ventilation etc. began to enter my mind. Now bear in mind I have not worn Polyurethane [which is what `skin`is ] for quite a few years and I know these new `thin` ones are probably better in that they are lighter to wear and less detectable to touch or sight [as your pic proves] Just to differentiate for you: Lace is a fabric -polyester- and it looks like a fisherman`s net [magnified] and hairs are individually inserted one by one into the grids / `boxes` and looped / tied into a knot approx. at the mid-point of the hair shaft....so in a standard 6-inch hair-length system, each hair is 12 inches long,.....each individual hair is inserted into a grid-box by 6-inches, then tied into a knot on the grid and the remaining 6-inch bit comes back `out`...so a 12-inch hair shaft provides 2 hairs with a knot tied at the half-way point. Usually ,skin systems have the hairs injected by machine [presumably while the material is warm / soft and `sets`around the hairs] or it can be looped which is a bit like how hair is attached to lace , but it`s not tied in knots....it tends to shed earlier for that reason i.e. there is no knot to `anchor`it. Some of the newer skin systems have a two-layers of material and the hairs are `trapped`/sandwiched between the two layers [I think there are small loops/knots on the bottom of each hair to prevent them slipping through the skin/shedding ] How the hairs are attached to a particular material can often affect the overall `look` and how the hair `sits`....which is why systems using a combination of a skin-material and lace can sometimes have a bit of a `clash` in regards to the way the hairs lie on both materials. Having said that, I`ve worn lace with a poly strip around the sides /back with no issues at all.
Just one point there--- lace -release is an alcohol which is sprayed on at close-range,at the base of the hairs so it seeps through onto the adhesive underneath and breaks it`s hold on the lace, thus allowing for removal.....poly, is not permeable/breathable like lace, so for removals [hopefully a skin -wearer will chip in here] what I used to do /or the salon, was spray/apply a little glue melter onto the skin [your actual skin] just at the front hairline [be very careful to avoid your eyes] and gently `work`it with a finger until the bond breaks just there...carefully catch the edge of the skin and lift it upwards.....spray on more glue-melter to the exposed glue and particularly at the point where the glue is still holding the poly.. .. do it slowly, allowing time for the melter to break the bond, and peeling the system back as you go.....a good idea would be to tie a bandana or put on a sweat-band before you start to avoid the melter running down your face/into your eyes. The citrus-based solvents are great for bond-breaking and cleaning the residue off poly/skin bases.Once you get that `start` at the front hairline, it will peel back gradually...don`t rush it...allow time for the solvent to weaken the glue as you go..... you asked about Ghost bond etc. --again some guys get great results with it, others don`t -- ANY of the glues or tapes behave differently form one person to another due to your physiology and local weather conditions etc.... use shampoos/conditioners which are sulfate-free and designed for system hair...... a light amount of pomade such as Brylcreem helps to keep moisture in the hair or a leave-in conditioner such as `Enhance` which also has sun-screen in it ... I don`t `mix`the two though..
ORWG is oil-resistant white glue...... if you google the full name you`ll get a list of suppliers..I`ve not used it but many guys swear by it for oily scalps etc.. I`m not a fan of all-over applications of glue.... you may `relax`a bit as you go and just do maybe a perimeter bond with a middle `strip` front -to-back to hold the centre of the system..... I just think coating your skin in a glue all over prevents sweating etc. and can lead to irritations over time, especially in hot weather, which is why I like the breatheability of lace .... dandruff is usually a fungal issue with the scalp..use a shampoo like `Nizoral` which combats it will usually solve it for you.....also , if you leave your system off overnight occasionally -- it will help the scalp to `breath`--you can apply a thin layer of `Sudocrem` which has a drying effect and soothes any irritations....it`s used for diaper-rash in kids....an excellent product. Just shampoo /clean your head as normal next morning.....anyway, enough of my ramblings, this is a learning curve just now....you`ll relax into it as time goes on but you`re bound to have some concerns/issues as you go.....don`t stress too much ..the worst part is over now ..you`re wearing and pleased with it all so far so just enjoy it !

Messages In This Thread
Day 1 results... - 24hours - 11-24-2011, 03:35 PM
RE: Day 1 results... photos - Porcupine - 11-24-2011, 05:43 PM
RE: Day 1 results... - EricInNY - 11-24-2011, 07:57 PM
RE: Day 1 results... - Paul In Ireland - 11-24-2011, 09:26 PM
RE: Day 1 results... - elvis - 11-24-2011, 11:30 PM
RE: Day 1 results... - Hersute - 11-25-2011, 12:29 AM
RE: Day 1 results... - Paul In Ireland - 11-25-2011, 03:39 AM
RE: Day 1 results... - stealth - 11-25-2011, 10:54 AM
RE: Day 1 results... - topcat59 - 11-25-2011, 01:21 PM
RE: Day 1 results... - waldojesus - 11-25-2011, 02:57 PM
RE: Day 1 results... - needmorehair - 11-25-2011, 03:45 PM