Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front lace Got2be only?
11-18-2011, 04:28 PM,
Front lace Got2be only?
I'm considering ordering a stock and making a front partial strip temple to temple about an inch wide out of all lace. The Got2be glue attachment method sounds like my kind of thing. Anyone doing this with lace... successfully?

Does this eliminate the time-consuming residue cleanup? Do pieces last much longer? Does the hairline look as good as with traditional adhesives?

Thanks so much everyone!

....btw, I don't plan to purposely expose the hairline, but feel that if the bangs are out of place as they inevitably will be that the hariline will partially get exposed.
11-18-2011, 09:39 PM,
RE: Front lace Got2be only?
Hi, Got2bglued is a good / useful item to have to hand but in my experience of it, it doesn`t hold the perimeter so well..tends to lift so I don`t think it will be of use to you for such a narrow strip of base. I think even guys who use tapes mostly, very often use glue for the front hairline.
It`s a pity the manufacturers don`t make glues in `sample` size containers because [as one other person commented-on recently] it`s really a matter of `trial and error` to find which one you like best/works best for you, and can work out damn expensive to be buying large containers of glue for maybe 30$ upwards, use it a few times and then have to `bin`it.....
Clean-up need not be a huge chore really for such a small system as you are thinking of...just use lace-release to free your system from the glue ..most of the residue will/should be on the scalp and you can `work away` on that .....I think clean-ups become problematic when guys leave their bonds in place/on for too long and they can break-down /degenerate sometimes overnight and you end up with a gooey mess. Keeping to a regular time-scale in terms of de-re bonding is best....helps avoid all the hassle. Paul.
11-19-2011, 01:41 AM,
(11-18-2011, 09:39 PM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: Hi, Got2bglued is a good / useful item to have to hand but in my experience of it, it doesn`t hold the perimeter so well..tends to lift so I don`t think it will be of use to you for such a narrow strip of base. I think even guys who use tapes mostly, very often use glue for the front hairline.
It`s a pity the manufacturers don`t make glues in `sample` size containers because [as one other person commented-on recently] it`s really a matter of `trial and error` to find which one you like best/works best for you, and can work out damn expensive to be buying large containers of glue for maybe 30$ upwards, use it a few times and then have to `bin`it.....
Clean-up need not be a huge chore really for such a small system as you are thinking of...just use lace-release to free your system from the glue ..most of the residue will/should be on the scalp and you can `work away` on that .....I think clean-ups become problematic when guys leave their bonds in place/on for too long and they can break-down /degenerate sometimes overnight and you end up with a gooey mess. Keeping to a regular time-scale in terms of de-re bonding is best....helps avoid all the hassle. Paul.

I agree with Paul. I rebond every week, so clean up is a snap. I use tape on the sides and back, and glue on the front. When I release, the tape remains on my scalp, and almost all the glue does as well. A quick magazine slide removes what glue is left on the lace. Attach for a week or less, and clean up is easy.
11-19-2011, 04:04 AM,
(11-18-2011, 09:39 PM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: Hi, Got2bglued is a good / useful item to have to hand but in my experience of it, it doesn`t hold the perimeter so well..tends to lift so I don`t think it will be of use to you for such a narrow strip of base. I think even guys who use tapes mostly, very often use glue for the front hairline.

Paul, thanks for the sobering but helpful info. I wonder, couldn't a user transfer tiny amounts of all the different glue types into sample size bottles and sell as a package to newbies? Can I ask, does the same perimeter issue also happens with skin pieces?

(11-19-2011, 01:41 AM)winstonage Wrote: I agree with Paul. I rebond every week, so clean up is a snap. I use tape on the sides and back, and glue on the front. When I release, the tape remains on my scalp, and almost all the glue does as well. A quick magazine slide removes what glue is left on the lace. Attach for a week or less, and clean up is easy.

Winstonage, would it be this easy with a strip like mine with no back to help anchor it? Can I ask, what specific type of tape and glue and lace release you do use? Thanks for your help!
11-19-2011, 04:15 AM,
I buy a small bottle of salon pro extreme hold for $9 here in the US the bottle is so small and cheap that if doesnt work well for you Then its only a minimal loss , so far for me its the best Ive had
11-19-2011, 05:38 AM,
stealth..... just for info, lace-release is `standard` --it`s alcohol ..there aren`t differnt `types` so one less thing to worry about. Just to answer your question there ..please don`t be `put off`by my description of a Gooey mess.... I was kind of exaggerating...certain tapes and glues can de-stabilise more rapidly than others .. I mean they all have a `life` once they have been put on, but the longer you leave some on, and the more they are exposed to water, sweat, humidity [as in hot weather] the hold will gradually fail and need to be replaced. I think newbies [naturally] have the attitude [when they`ve got a good nice bond going on] ``oh I`ll leave it for as long as I can``...it can be a false-economy as SOME products can literally overnight go from a firm hold to goo and give you a very tedious job to do...... the trick to keeping this as simple as possible is to keep to a regular routine as I asserted earlier. Now, I haven`t worn a skin system [ used to wear all-poly some years back] and used anything other than those `normal`glues ... I have used `Got2b` a few times on all-lace and it`s been fine except at the very edge in places--it can lose grip--- nothing major or anything..just means were someone to run their fingers through the hair they could detect the edge.... I know another wearer said it [ Got2b] holds skin material very well but I can`t remember exactly what he said about the very edge/perimeter.... the problem with it is it can loosen when exposed to a lot of moisture so heavy sweating can loosen it but once it cools down/dries again it tends to `tighten up` again..it`s more for short-term use--it`s very easy to work with and rinses out/off the skin[scalp] and system without the need to shampoo.... so no need for lace-release and glue -melters etc..... put it this way----it`s `got it`s place`in your armoury of bonding products, for a quick short-term, no-fuss, bond and de-bond/clean-up...for more prolonged holds, use tapes and/or glues. Hopefully a `skin`wearer can be more precise for you...cheers, Paul.
p.s. It would indeed be a great help both practically and financially if we could get a little `kit`or pack of sample-sized containers of glues to try out...would save a load of hassle for everyone, including experienced wearers, who might like to try out a different glue but would be put off by the cost of a large bottle which they might only use a few times
11-19-2011, 10:45 AM,
G2BG will probably work ok, depending on how long you want the bond to hold. Another option, depending on just how wide your temple strip is, is to use tape. As long as you don't bond longer than a week, clean up would be minimal (based on my experience using supertape). Use lace release or 99% alcohol to release the bond between the lace and tape from the lace side and the piece should release with no residue. Just clean the tape off your head. I applied tape to my head rather than the piece when bonding; never was able to get tape to apply well to lace.
11-19-2011, 11:03 AM,
(11-19-2011, 10:45 AM)mcnash Wrote: G2BG will probably work ok, depending on how long you want the bond to hold. Another option, depending on just how wide your temple strip is, is to use tape. As long as you don't bond longer than a week, clean up would be minimal (based on my experience using supertape). Use lace release or 99% alcohol to release the bond between the lace and tape from the lace side and the piece should release with no residue. Just clean the tape off your head. I applied tape to my head rather than the piece when bonding; never was able to get tape to apply well to lace.

Stealth,
I use Stick IT tape and Davlyn Black glue. I also apply the tape to my head as well. Over 35 years of hair wearing, I have used many different tapes and glues, and have settled on this combination. It really is trial and error to see what works best for you.
11-21-2011, 04:27 PM,
(11-19-2011, 10:45 AM)mcnash Wrote: G2BG will probably work ok, depending on how long you want the bond to hold. Another option, depending on just how wide your temple strip is, is to use tape. As long as you don't bond longer than a week, clean up would be minimal (based on my experience using supertape). Use lace release or 99% alcohol to release the bond between the lace and tape from the lace side and the piece should release with no residue. Just clean the tape off your head. I applied tape to my head rather than the piece when bonding; never was able to get tape to apply well to lace.

Do you mean the side opposite the scalp, so the side with the hair and the lace release seeps through the lace? This does sound easy and I wouldn't be going any longer than a week. Do you find the shine to be a problem with supertape?

(11-19-2011, 11:03 AM)winstonage Wrote: Stealth,
I use Stick IT tape and Davlyn Black glue. I also apply the tape to my head as well. Over 35 years of hair wearing, I have used many different tapes and glues, and have settled on this combination. It really is trial and error to see what works best for you.

Yeah, seems like everyone has their own unique method. How long does this attachment last you and how easy is the cleanup?
(11-19-2011, 04:15 AM)D B COOPER Wrote: I buy a small bottle of salon pro extreme hold for $9 here in the US the bottle is so small and cheap that if doesnt work well for you Then its only a minimal loss , so far for me its the best Ive had

Is this all you use? What do you like about this compared with other glues?
11-21-2011, 07:37 PM,
You can use a plastic syringe to more-accurately `aim`lace release onto the bonding material, rather than spray it from the bottle itself which can be a bit of a scatter-gun approach and can coat hair --alcohols generally have a drying effect,so I try to avoid as much of the hair as possible.....simply `inject`a little onto the lace and allow it to seep through and `work`on the bonding material [glues/tapes] ..after a minute or two, the system will release with relative ease..for any stubborn areas, just use more lace release rather than tugging the system off or you`ll strain/ possibly tear the lace, and it will also bring residue with it ,so then you end up having to get that off the lace ---- keep it simple !