Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Interesting Hairpiece Story and Dealing with the Public
11-05-2011, 10:04 PM,
RE: Interesting Hairpiece Story and Dealing with the Public
lift and seperate from the blend? or like lift up and debond?? 0_o
11-06-2011, 01:08 AM,
(11-05-2011, 10:04 PM)elvis Wrote: lift and seperate from the blend? or like lift up and debond?? 0_o

The blend ... I sense your worry about these things coming off ... believe what you read here ... even a haphazard bond is not coming off easily, especially around the back and sides. The fronts will start to lift first, mostly due to styling stress, and the critical aspect of exposed hairlines ... maybe a bit more oily in front, too.

I should point out that my only experiences are with a salon (still chinese pieces, on par w/ what else is available at online vendors), and frankly their matching of my hair texture, fineness, etc. is inconsistent. So, a really good match of color, density, texture might even make hats or high wind less of an issue.

And a lot of these worries about what's ON our heads, are only IN our heads Wink ... even people w/ perfect, full heads of hair get hat head, bed head, wind blown hair and bad hair days. If you're new to wearing, you'll be surprised how little people really notice.

Lastly ... hats ... my experience is better wearing, even with worrying about detectable differences between my hair and the system hair ... as compared to when I wore hats to cover my hair loss ... taking my hat off AT ALL was out of the question (also because of transplant scars). Now, a little water and a brush ... good to go.

FB
11-06-2011, 09:25 AM,
thanks for the detailed reply furball. do u wear a partial? or a topper?
11-06-2011, 10:53 AM,
(11-06-2011, 09:25 AM)elvis Wrote: thanks for the detailed reply furball. do u wear a partial? or a topper?

topper ... my bases are close to a standard stock in shape and size.

FB
11-06-2011, 03:02 PM,
if i was using a partial that only covered my frontal third. and had the hair behind it combed Over the partial. would i have these same issues with taking off hats etc?
11-07-2011, 12:52 AM,
(11-06-2011, 03:02 PM)elvis Wrote: if i was using a partial that only covered my frontal third. and had the hair behind it combed Over the partial. would i have these same issues with taking off hats etc?

Probably not ... but hard to say. This probably isn't as big an issue as you think. I know you're trying to account for every possible thing that could go wrong ... I understand, but there is a threshold where you've done your due diligence on research, and you just have to try wearing to see the cost vs. benefit.

Things like styling products are kind of a double edged sword ... they help blend the hair, disguise differences between yours and the system, calm down a new piece's puffiness, etc. But when taking off a tight hat, or motorcycle helmet, the same quality that helps you stick the hair in place, will allow that hair to stand straight up on it's own if it's suddenly pulled in that direction by wind or helmet removal.

Hats can be helpful too ... in flattening down a new piece that's a bit puffy.

Rest assured that your first experience wearing will likely be much better than mine ... i didn't know about this online DIY world of wearing. I went to a big chain "club" and they stuck a dead cat on my head ... color off, way too dense, thick mono base, obvious hair line ... it was traumatic. Perhaps they also do this to upsell you to more customized systems (read way more $). Eventually I got a much better result ... still, way too much money.

Here, you're getting current technology, spending time nailing your specs ahead of time, getting good advice from wearers who have no axe to grind in selling you something ... and you'll get much more honest suggestions from John as well, compared the hard sell clubs, who pray on insecurities.

FB
11-07-2011, 07:28 AM,
thanks furball.wow i never thought about having gelled hair standing up on its own in a different direction if pulled there. I guess thats why people who have systems use gel AND go crazy with hairspray.
11-07-2011, 11:19 AM,
These kinds of stories are great!

Awhile back I was talking to a couple of girls in a bar on a Sunday afternoon after a Magic game. They commented on my full cap mohawk, and started to tell me how they had a business idea where they wanted to sell "faux fro-hawks" after they had seen one on MR. T in the new A-Team movie. I asked them how they could tell that it wasn't real, and they both looked me in the eye and said in unison "Oh we can ALWAYS tell!".

I thought this was hilarious so I pointed out to them that they were incorrect, that I was indeed wearing a faux mohawk. They either didn't believe me, they were embarassed for bringing it up, or they were simply tongue tied, because all they could do at that point was look at me with a puzzled look on their faces.

Other people are more scared of the topic of hairpieces than we are. 99% of the time if someone is talking about it openly in front of you it means they have absolutely no clue.
11-07-2011, 11:23 AM,
(11-07-2011, 07:28 AM)elvis Wrote: thanks furball.wow i never thought about having gelled hair standing up on its own in a different direction if pulled there. I guess thats why people who have systems use gel AND go crazy with hairspray.

Actually you're probably right about gel ... it's more likely to stay in place, if you don't mind the crispy/crunchy texture. I don't use it much because of that ... maybe I should ! There are so many new products available, we've got lots to experiment with ... like newer less crunchy gels, etc.

I think I've gotten into situations where I might just have had too much product in my hair, it got a little sticky, gummy and stiff ... then something blasted my hair ... and it stayed there until I beat it back into submission Wink

It really comes down to the fact that hair on a system usually doesn't flow the same as growing hair ... in the wind etc. Any time we're blending a system w/ growing hair, we're dealing with that difference. It sometimes makes me envious of the full cap guys.

FB