Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
For Jrob
11-01-2011, 02:26 PM,
For Jrob
" also....you might want to try shaving your nape hair and using the hair on the full cap if it gets to be bothersome for any reason. My methods for modifying and attaching in that area can give excellent results using only the hair on the hairpiece"

Jrob mate, what methood is that?

Thanks buddy

CB
11-03-2011, 10:58 AM,
RE: For Jrob
(11-01-2011, 02:26 PM)cowboy Wrote: " also....you might want to try shaving your nape hair and using the hair on the full cap if it gets to be bothersome for any reason. My methods for modifying and attaching in that area can give excellent results using only the hair on the hairpiece"

Jrob mate, what methood is that?

Thanks buddy

CB

There are a couple of things you can do to help improve realism at the nape:

1) Cut small V notches in the lace all across the back. This not only helps to break up the visible line that can be seen with a thin density, but it also helps keep it less detectable to touch.

2) Use a strong tape to attach the nape, and extend it about 1/16" beyond the edge of the lace. This makes some of the hair at the very bottom edge lay flat to your scalp which makes it look better and again, less detectable to touch.

3) If you are going with a short style you might benefit from cutting the hair very short at the nape, even right up to the bottom edge of the base. This is another trick that can reduce the appearance of a visible line and make it less likely that someone will feel a definite ridge.

Hope that answered your question. If not let me know!
11-03-2011, 10:47 PM,
Jrob mate

Thanks for your reply, very helpful.

If one does cut the hair very short at the name almost right upto the line, would it look natural?

does good recession on the temples of a fc add to its realism?

thanks

CB
11-06-2011, 08:12 PM,
bump

fullcappers any more info?

cheers
11-06-2011, 09:53 PM,
Taking the plunge into Fullcap wearing , I too had all sorts of things running through my mind...what if this, what if that etc. [not being `smart`with you at all now] but I think in the end I just decided, after doing my research on JRob`s site [hairjive.com] and reading on here of other Fullcap stories, I just said `to hell with it`..I`m going to make a reasonable `stab`at a template and go with a style which would be more `forgiving` in terms of not exposing too much at the front/temples .....yes I was most concerned at the nape area as I `d read about the movement there and I was also afraid the ventilation might be `off` and the hair wouldnt sit in against the skin and look very `wiggy`---- I just made my best `guesstimate` in terms of the nape .....had the perimeter sitting just below the occipital bone but conscious not to have say, 3 inches of hair hanging down from that point..no prizes for imagining how that would look....the natural curl/bounce of the hair would probably make it stand out from the nape....I don`t wear long hair anyway so I`m finding a length of just marginally over an inch is fine... I feel cutting right up to the perimeter would lead into other issues or to put it another way-- it would be the opposite of leaving it too long..... I guess a happy medium is what to aim for...... I know it can be daunting `thinking `about it but there comes a time when you just have to say `Hey ..I`m just going to go for this ` and make the leap... you can always `tweak` things on your next order--- I`d always recommend having 2 systems to hand [topper or fullcap] in case of some unforeseen disaster such as the dog attacking your system while you`re in the shower, thinking it was the next-door neighbour`s cat after sneaking in [joke!] but for my first Fullcap I only ordered one ,so that any things that needed to be `tweaked`, could be factored-in immediately simply by ordering a 2nd system by contacting John. I figured if I ordered 2 system together and there was some issue, well then that would be 2 systems I wasn`t 100% happy with rather than one.....so I just got 1 initially just to `see`and then immediately ordered a 2nd once the first was styled-in. Paul.
11-07-2011, 11:04 AM,
(11-03-2011, 10:47 PM)cowboy Wrote: Jrob mate

Thanks for your reply, very helpful.

If one does cut the hair very short at the name almost right upto the line, would it look natural?

This won't work with a longer style, but with a little tweaking you can pull it off with hair that is under 1". This is something you will want to try on an old unit before you start chopping on a new piece.

Keep in mind that if the hair in the nape is done with single hair ventilation and the knots are well bleached you might not have to mess with any of these little tweaks.

Quote:does good recession on the temples of a fc add to its realism?

thanks

CB

This is a tough question to answer because it depends on your age, face shape, and several other factors. Even though I am 40 yrs old I look better with strong temple points and minimal recession in the upper temple areas.

The thing about full caps is that you are starting with more flexibility than you would with a partial unit. If you were integrating existing hair on the sides you have to make the shape of the hairline match the temples. This is where a a lot of guys run into problems because most of them are receding and thinning in the temple areas so they have to add recession or it won't look natural.

With a full cap the main consideration is whether or not the unit looks congruent with your skin, eyebrows, complexion and such. Paul is a little older than I am but he can get away with a full dark head of hair because it looks like it belongs on his head. Shatner is another good example. He is quite a bit older. He orders a full head of hair but it has realistic recession and a fair amount of gray, and his temple points aren't too strong. He looks good for his age but you can tell he is older. A full head of dark brown hair wouldn't look right on him. He walks that line between keeping it as youthful looking as possible and making sure it matches his perceived age.