Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Advice- I'm at a Crossroads *PICS Added
11-01-2011, 12:44 PM,
Need Advice- I'm at a Crossroads *PICS Added
Hey guys, I was hoping to get some advice on my hair situation at the moment. Currently I'm styling my hair using alot of topik, and about 30 minute everyday stylig my hair with a brush and blow dryer . Sometimes it looks decent but I have a receding hairline as well so it doesn't solve everything. Im at a point where I just don't know what to do. I have been contemplating starting proprecia but I dont know if it will be a safe solution in the long term as i am 23 years old. The other solution of course is to begin wearing a partial hairpiece. I dont think I will need a full topper but something to cover up the front top half of my head. The thought of wearing a hairpiece kinda scares me a bit, I don't have anything against them and Ive seen some amazing pics on this forum but being 23 years old it's a bit daunting of a task. The only reason im even contemplating using proprecia because I guess in my mind I don't want to let go and I'm trying to cling on to my hair for as long as possible. So what advice can you guys give me? Should I start taking drugs or should I find a stylist in my area and give the hairpiece route a shot?
11-01-2011, 01:05 PM,
RE: Need Advice- I'm at a Crossroads
I think everyone is nervous when considering a hair piece so don't feel bad about that. Propecia isn't an effective treatment for the hairline and midsection as it is only indicatied for crown hair loss. Propecia is basically a hair maintenance drug which will allow someone to hold on to the hair that they haven't already lost. It may grow some hair back that was lost in the last couple of months but I wouldn't count on it. There is a benefit to taking the drug in your case as it will give you more options down the road if you hold on to the hair you have. If you decide you want to consider hair transplants in the future the propecia will have been a smart move. I believe keeping all of your options available is the best way to go. IMHO a partial hairpiece is a good starting point for someone in your situation. What do you really have to loose except a couple hundred bucks.
11-01-2011, 01:21 PM,
I can't advise you about hairpieces because i'm still a newbie and not wearing yet. But i really advise you NOT to take Propecia under any circumstances. There are so many stories out there of guys who have taken the drug and never recovered from the negative side effects, like erectile dysfunction, low sex drive and even penile shrinkage.

Some men don't have a problem with the drug, but many men have bad sides from it. I simply wouldn't risk it, it's not worth taking a drug to mess your endocrine system up just so you can keep a little hair on your head. DHT is an important hormone and one that is often essential for normal male health. In fact DHT is the only reason men even become men inside the womb.

I took Propecia when i was 23 as well, it did cause bad sides and took me awhile to recover. The only men using DHT inhibitors should be guys with prostate problems.
11-01-2011, 01:25 PM,
I have done it all... I started loosing my hair when I was 18- my parents took me to the doctor, I had blood tests done, I tried Rogain and Propecia... but it made me feel odd and the Rogain got old. I tried this other stuff call Nioxin... It is all a scam! Then I tried a hair transplant when I was 20- what a horrible experience. The pain after is terrible and you have to sleep sitting up for a few days... then you can't let anyone see your scarred head for several days. I still have emotional problems from it I think LOL...
Anyway, I am now 27 and more bald then ever. I have yet to take the plunge into a hair piece, but I will tell you, I wish I had started with a hairpiece when I was younger! The only even close experience I had was at a club type hair place that wanted to charge me 300 dollars a month for a piece. At that time I refused to pay such a price or "wear a piece." I wish I had known about something like toplace, so my transition would not be a noticeable.
11-01-2011, 02:32 PM,
Thanks for the replies so far. Some questions/comments:

@porcupine- I understand your points you make by taking both sides, but I'm not sure if I want to consider getting a transplant because there's a lot of risks involved and getting good results can be rare. So I was just considering takin proprecia to hold on as long as possible and then transition into a system anyways. It's just a matter of if I should try it now or try to stall for as long as possible before making the switch

@Thinningdude: your thoughts on proprecia are similar to my concerns now. I'm just thinking that blocking dht for extended period of time may mess with the endocrine system. Also, I have also been thinking that dht may be more important to a mans body than people give it credit for, so by blocking it for the sole purpose of hair it may be unhealthy in the long run

@jordo06: sorry to hear about your botched transplant. Thats one of the reasons transplants may not always be good for everyone. I hope trying a hairpiece works out for you this time , since you tried everything else you kind of have nothing left but to give wearing a shot
11-02-2011, 02:01 AM,
Drew- I actually just quit propecia after being on it for 5 years due to side effects so I completely understand your concerns. I do know a bunch of guys who are on the drug and have no sides at all. I have the same concerns about blocking dht for extended periods of time and what that may do to the endocrine system. You could always try propecia and if you experience any sides discontinue immediately. If you do decide to go that route make sure you get a prescription for proscar and cut the pills in four. Proscar is the same drug at higher dose and you can get it at Target or Walmart for $9 without insurance. This will save you over $60 a month and since your a young guy I'm guessing you don't have money to burn. Your still a little young to be considering transplants anyway so I think you are on the right path. Like I stated in an earlier post I'd try the partial piece first and take it from there.
11-03-2011, 10:08 AM,
RE: Need Advice- I'm at a Crossroads *PICS Added
UPDATE: I have decided to add some pics to show the hairline and the state of my hair. I wanted to know some opinions if proprecia would help or if I should just shave the front half of head and get a partial. I should mention that most of the top of my head is also covered with toppik.

Attached Files Image(s)

11-04-2011, 04:37 AM,
(11-03-2011, 10:08 AM)drew100 Wrote: UPDATE: I have decided to add some pics to show the hairline and the state of my hair. I wanted to know some opinions if proprecia would help or if I should just shave the front half of head and get a partial. I should mention that most of the top of my head is also covered with toppik.

I too use consealer and Im about to move to a system. If those photos are with Toppik then its hard to give a true answer as we cant see how far gone you are.

My personal opinion is that the world of cosmetics is far more advanced in this field than medicine is. The results from systems and concealers are instant, great and (health) risk free.

With drugs you are messing with your body and that is a big risk as you only get one. Propecia actually comes with a male breast cancer warning in the UK. This is what the UK National Health Service say:

"Breast cancer has been reported in men taking finasteride 1 mg during the post-marketing period. Physicians should instruct their patients to promptly report any changes in their breast tissue such as lumps, pain, gynaecomastia or nipple discharge."

Source: http://www.nelm.nhs.uk/en/NeLM-Area/Othe...vised-SPC/

If I were you, I would go cosmetic. But I am not you, so its your call to make.

I would get a partial on your receding and use toppik on the top for as long as you can bare the rain dodging and messy pillows and then move to a system. The trick is to get in early with the concealer (which you appear to have done) so no one knows how then you are, then move over to a system without people knowing. Just my opinion, yours and others on here may have a different opinion. Hope it helps.
11-05-2011, 05:13 AM,
Glad I never used concealer & thickener stuff, looks so false doesn't it? Reminds me of an iron filing/magnet trick where you get them to stand up on end. Regards
11-05-2011, 06:04 AM,
Temple -recession looks `normal`to me ..nothing to be too bothered about but I know how you yourself are `conscious`of it--- if you could post a pic without any concealer on the hair it would be better ..it`s really hard to advise you without seeing exactly what the issue is. Cheers, Paul.