Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are full caps essier to make look less wiggy than toppers?
11-01-2011, 11:56 AM,
Are full caps essier to make look less wiggy than toppers?
I sent in my FC template and im just waiting now.

Im getting a litle anxious...just wondering do full caps look more wiggy than toppers generally? Is it more of a challenge to make FC's look better, or am i worrying too much??

CB
11-02-2011, 01:20 PM,
RE: Are full caps essier to make look less wiggy than toppers?
I wish someone would respond to this.... I have noticed my hair seems less thick on the sides- when is the time to go full skullcap?
11-02-2011, 05:20 PM,
(11-02-2011, 01:20 PM)jordo06 Wrote: I wish someone would respond to this.... I have noticed my hair seems less thick on the sides- when is the time to go full skullcap?

OK, I'll take a crack at it. Up front, I'll say that I wear toppers, but have scoured every spec of info and pics on this and other forums as I make the leap from a salon/contract situation to the DIY world of wearing. I've paid close attention to the full cap gurus as well ... check out Jrob, Dino and Paul

It's not that one style looks more wiggy than another, they have different strengths and weaknesses.

The big advantage to full caps is no blending issues w/ side and back hair (the biggest weakness in toppers) ... there's a lot that can be off ... color, texture, density, ventilation direction.

Guys usually make the leap to full caps when their temples have receded, and side and back hair have gotten too diffuse to blend convincingly.

The challenges to full caps include:

the nape area - getting the hair to lay down against your neck, and attachment weakness caused by natural movements of the head.

temple and sideburns - ventilation is touchy here, if the hair is ventilated forward or straight out from the base, it can cause an unnatural look. Being specific about ventilating the hair down and back here helps a lot. Sometimes a little less density at temples helps too.

So this is only a basic "101" on the differences ... and I don't mean to be sexist here ... there are a lot of female full cap wearers. With longer styles, the issues at the nape and temples are less pronounced, but still present. And there is much info here on ways to mitigate the weaknesses of each base style, some of these include:

To hide temple recession when wearing toppers, some will try adding temple flaps to their base design, or wearing a "curtains" hair style, in which the hair has a center part, brushed out to either side to camouflage the temple area.

With full caps, wearers will try to tweak ventilation directions and density at the problem areas (as mentioned) or try to keep a thin strip of their own growing hair at the nape and temple area to soften the edges.

Hope this helps,
FB
11-03-2011, 11:39 AM,
If you order the right base shape and the density is good once it settles in it shouldn't look wiggy. You want to make sure the temple points are the right shape and placement. It also helps to taper the unit behind the ears where it leads down to the nape.

Styling products are your best friend, especially during the 1-2 week break in period. Adding highlights and choosing a modern style will also help.
11-03-2011, 10:45 PM,
Thanks guys to all your replies.

Jrob iwas wondering, i see a lot of guys just comb their natural hair on the side like forward hiding most of their temples anyway. I would imagine if one wanted to do something similar with a full cap it shouldt be a problem and look natural?

Thanks

CB
11-06-2011, 08:13 PM,
bump for Jrob and other full cappers
11-07-2011, 10:48 AM,
(11-03-2011, 10:45 PM)cowboy Wrote: Thanks guys to all your replies.

Jrob iwas wondering, i see a lot of guys just comb their natural hair on the side like forward hiding most of their temples anyway. I would imagine if one wanted to do something similar with a full cap it shouldt be a problem and look natural?

Thanks

CB

If you wear a style that covers the temple points it will make things a lot easier if it the unit doesn't come out just right.

One thing I have learned over the years is that the more flexible you are, the more willing and able you are to roll with the punches, the easier hairwearing will be and better the results you will get. It will take some time but when you have several units under your belt you will be able to "read" a new unit when it comes in and know what you can and can't do with it. If you didn't get the temple points the right shape or if the factory ventilated them incorrectly you can still make the unit look great but you might have to alter your gameplan a little. It sounds like you are pretty flexible so I'm sure you will do fine.