Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PICS
11-01-2011, 08:53 AM,
RE: PICS
(11-01-2011, 06:18 AM)EricInNY Wrote: My first piece is coming in a few weeks, just wondering, you state you wash your hair every 2-3 days. Is their any reason for that? Can you wash a piece everyday or is their some reason why you should not? Piece looks great by the way, I am going for short style similar to yours, hope mine looks as good.

Hi Eric,

Not trying to speak for the original poster, but I thought I might be able to help out here. Most of us shampoo less frequently than daily ... for several reasons:

1. Since the system hair does not get regularly coated w/ natural oils/sebum like growing hair, it doesn't really need the constant shampooing ... I find the hair looks better shampooing no more than every other day, or even less often ... daily shampooing tends toward puffy/wiggy for me.

2. Longevity of the piece. The hair will eventually dry out in any piece. It will become unwearable due to the straw like texture, or the dryness will simply cause the hair to become so brittle it breaks off. The less I shampoo, the longer it lasts (though other factors can shorten the life of the piece, too ...)

Daily shampooing was a hard habit to break for me ... I wonder if this isn't common amongst wearers, as we had thinning and/or thin textured hair as we were losing it ... daily shampooing was essential to getting the most out of what we had. When switching to wearing, we brought the "more is better" shampoo regimen along. It took some time to see the light of a "less is more" regimen.

The need arises most often from product build-up ... but I've found rinsing in the shower, without shampoo, removes 80% of the build-up between shampoos.

Hope this helps,
FB
11-01-2011, 01:35 PM,
Wow... when are you going to post pictures of a person with a hair piece... LOL!
11-01-2011, 02:11 PM,
Thanks for that info furball, so it is ok to wet it though in shower correct? Just don't wash it every day.
11-01-2011, 02:34 PM,
Ditto to everything that's been said. The piece looks great; love the spikiness of the front hairline, which makes it so realistic.
11-01-2011, 03:06 PM,
(11-01-2011, 02:11 PM)EricInNY Wrote: Thanks for that info furball, so it is ok to wet it though in shower correct? Just don't wash it every day.

Yes ... we certainly must get them wet ... swimming, showering are necessary, but will shorten your bond time. We're always balancing those needs. You'll experiment and find what holds for you ... for me, tapes and solvent based (clear) glues hold up to water better ... water-based (white) glues, less so.

System hair won't get "greasy" like your growing hair ... it will tend toward dryness, rather. So we limit shampooing, but always condition ... maybe rinsing w/ water only and using a rinse out conditioner, and/or leave in conditioner.

Try the search feature and look further into the ton of good info here ... that's where I learned. You'll find great tips on care/maintenance ... using cool water, shower filters, sulfate and alcohol free products ... all to get that extra few percent of performance, ease and longevity out of each piece.
[quote='DWNUNDR' pid='32010' dateline='1319957151']
Just thought I'd post some pics of my latest stock & get some feedback.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-WRlyn...IMG027.jpg

<snip>

Sorry to hijack the thread ... really nice work, dwnundr ... and you look to be working w/ "challenging" side hair Wink. Blend and crown in back are particularly good ... this is the challenging area for me.
11-01-2011, 03:52 PM,
i use a product i get from walgreens called dirty shampoo, you just spray it on and it cleans your piece, no need to do the normal wash as much
11-01-2011, 07:49 PM,
Yes EricinNY the other guys have pretty much answered why i don't wash everyday.

You just don't need too, even with real hair.

Yes i have some challenging sides to work with. But I never really had good side hair anyways it's not like I've thinned there anymore than when i was younger.

I like to work with it instead of trying to cover up with temple flaps etc.. More realistic for me to have recessed temples.
11-02-2011, 07:08 AM,
Dwnundr-
Outstanding job with that piece! Thanks for sharing those photos.
Regards,
John
http://toplace.com/
11-03-2011, 11:18 AM,
Excellent color and blend, and the styling product creates the finishing touch!